Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshers Week!!!!

Options
  • 21-08-2008 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm just after getting my UL information pack... freshers week looks so class... The Blizzards are headlining - from the website, freshers week sounded fairly ****e - speeches and games.

Looks cool now, i dont know if i know anyone else going in on the Tuesday though! Going to be doing Business Studies... still looking forward to it.

Does anyone remember what their freshers week was like and have any advise???

PS. I'm new to the forum so 'Hi everybody!'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

welcome!

whats freshers week?

week0 or week1?

Cant remember mine tbqh :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

the orientation week isnt it!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Yes it is....

Try to enjoy the week and mingle - that doesn't mean getting so wrecked that by Tuesday you are burned out. It may seem overwhelming but you will get the hang of things! You will get flooded with information as to where everything is but you pick it up with time....and you can ask people around you - ye are all in the same boat!

Enjoy it!!!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EOB32

Go on a serious lash and put college on the back burner for the first week or two. A tip I would give from experience would be to get to know as many people as you can early on and dont just stick with people you know already because after a while things settle down and it can be hard to get to know new people then. Im doing Business as well and to be honest the first year is a bit of a doss so you can afford to go a bit mad and be sociable, especially in the early weeks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Looks cool now, i dont know if i know anyone else going in on the Tuesday though! Going to be doing Business Studies... still looking forward to it.

Ya i'm going into business studies and german so i'll probably be in some of your lectures (though I heard the class sizes for business are huge), looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

There'll be plenty people around you all day Tuesday if its Business Orientation day id say! Your best bet would be to get all your orientation group to go out that night and you'll have 6 or 8 people in your course that you know before college even starts! Seriously, just start talking to anybody and everybody, everyones in the same boat. Oh and take ALL the freebies you're offered!

Shyster wrote: »
    Oh and take ALL the freebies you're offered!

Except the Ulster Bank €650 "free" overdraft! Take the €100 for opening the account though! :)

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Except the Ulster Bank €650 "free" overdraft! Take the €100 for opening the account though! :)

Ugh....:mad: I'm planning on paying mine off in the next month...two years later...going into fourth year so it's about time I suppose.

Seriously - NOTHING is so urgent that you need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

My overdraft has been gone since Canada last year...we don't have to pay it off until we graduate which is aaaaaaages away so it basically IS free money?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Don't burn a hole in your cash too fast, ask your orientation group if they want to go drinking at your place (if you're living on campus...or maybe suggest one of them be host...a bit forward for day 1...but you have to make friends) before hitting the Stables/town to save a few shekels.

Only students who live at home (a la ninty9er) can afford to be drinking posh beers like Hydrogen and Bud-y-zzer, though you will become accustomed to Dutch Mould as long as it's cold it's drinkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bavaria is way better than Dutch Mould.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Orientation week is week 0 and what you're referring to...Freshers' Week is technically week 1, the following week!

But, yeah..orientation will be pretty darn cool this year...it's undergone a revamp..the Uni has finally realised that students actually like fun stuff...so day 1 of your orientation is all the formal form-filling and day 2 you meet up again with your group and have a quick chat in the concert hall on student survival guide, then there's a load of class day time events lined up to bring you right through til 2am with some daycent acts...

One thing - tuesday night, the christy moore tribute...he's SAVAGE!! besides, like, it's FREE why wouldn't you just pop your head in to see what it's like! But honestly, the guy's been here before, he gets the crowd going...except he doesn't sweat as much as the real Christy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭fionntang

what's limerick like for craic?,starting college there in two weeks and have no idea what the place is like :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 elleA

Shyster wrote: »
    Your best bet would be to get all your orientation group to go out that night and you'll have 6 or 8 people in your course that you know before college even starts! Seriously, just start talking to anybody and everybody, everyones in the same boat. Oh and take ALL the freebies you're offered!

I'd just like to echo Shyster's advice. Chat with everyone in your orientation group. Everyone will be just as nervous/excited as you so you've got that in common already. Ask if anyone has been to the Stables or the Lodge yet and maybe suggest you guys try it out one of the nights. I was a fresher last year and our group all decided to meet up at the Stables on Wednesday evening for a few drinks. One year on and we're all still friends.. It was brilliant already knowing 6 people when I walked into my first lecture.

*gets very nostalgic* I wish I was a Fresher again..

fionntang wrote: »
    what's limerick like for craic?,starting college there in two weeks and have no idea what the place is like :eek:

Limerick is amazing. Crazy and friendly. It's a very, very social city. Lots of great clubs if that's your thing and there will be lots of offers/events on in the clubs for the first few weeks to entice you in. There is also a wide variety of pubs...some great for a quick pint, some great for live music and some are just perfect for relaxing in with friends with some mellow music in the background. Also, Limerick is of course a sporting county so lots of craic to be had watching and playing the numerous sports which Limerick offers. You will definitely enjoy getting to know Limerick.

Limerick - Your mother says it's dangerous so it must be good! It is (oh and it's not any more danagerous than any other big city in Ireland). :D

elleA wrote: »

Limerick is amazing. Crazy and friendly. It's a very, very social city. Lots of great clubs if that's your thing and there will be lots of offers/events on in the clubs for the first few weeks to entice you in. There is also a wide variety of pubs...some great for a quick pint, some great for live music and some are just perfect for relaxing in with friends with some mellow music in the background. Also, Limerick is of course a sporting county so lots of craic to be had watching and playing the numerous sports which Limerick offers. You will definitely enjoy getting to know Limerick.

Limerick - You're mother says it's dangerous so it must be good! It is (oh and it's not any more danagerous than any other big city in Ireland). :D
    sounds good ,i never had any worries about the safety of the place because as youve said allready therel be trouble in any town in ireland ,Trinity rooms is supposed to be decent ,is there any other clubs that il hear some dance music in or am i chancing my arm ?

Number of fights cson has been in;

Limerick = 0
    Galway = 2

Hmmm, does that mean Galway is twice as rough as Limerick? :P

For yore dance shoite take a visit to Icon.

cson wrote: »

;) one for there own and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Galway = 2
    Were you wearing pink out that night by any chance?!:P
    cson wrote:
    Indeed. Explains the clientele and why I never went there much in the three years I was in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

elleA wrote: »
    Limerick - You're mother says it's dangerous so it must be good!

haha, excellent!

So what is it, 1,000 people turn up each day and they get divided up into loads of little groups?! Are all the people in the group from the same course? How big is each group roughly?!

Each group is between 7-12 people from the same course. If the course is smaller; it might be guided with other courses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

Just got my pack today! Says my introduction day isn't until the thursday. Can I come up on the tuesday, and if so could I stay in the house in Cappavilla that I booked?

You can move in Sunday if ya want, there'll be feck all buzz around the place til Tuesday though. Having said that we're moving in Sunday anyway. Full beer ahead.

The inventory currently includes;

3 x Slabs of Bavaria
    4 x Smirnoff 1L
    2 x SoCo 1L
    2 x Miller 24 for €20s
    2 x Heinken Mini-Kegs
    2 x West Coast (For mixing purposes only. And me.)
    2 x Micheal Finns Appley Flavour
    1 x Hennessy - The Last Man Standing bottle

Hmmm after writing out that inventory the logistical problems of transporting that 80 odd km's without smashing or spilling it is starting to worry me.

Ooo I forgot, 3 x Alka Seltzer 12 packs.

*Disclaimer* This drink and drinking will be carried out by trained professionals, in the presence of trained professionals. Accordingly, cson & associates reccommend that you do not try this at home and take no responsibility for injuries/forcible removal of bodily hair occured from copycat stunts. Look after your liver kids. :cool:

Sunday the 31st ya? I'll be moving in around then aswel, basically going back and forth from home bringing stuff to the new apartment...

Got my info pack also today, loads of stuff in it. (I've so much reading to do lately with all this stuff as well as all the student accounts and credit card crap I already have to look through.)

Edit: oh and where can you buy tickets for the blizzards gig, according to the poster their €15 but you can get them for free if you sign up to ulster bank (which I don't want to do),

1huge1 wrote: »

Got my info pack also today, loads of stuff in it. (I've so much reading to do lately with all this stuff as well as all the student accounts and credit card crap I already have to look through.)

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo. You do not, I repeat DO NOT need a credit card!!
    Edit: oh and where can you buy tickets for the blizzards gig, according to the poster their €15 but you can get them for free if you sign up to ulster bank (which I don't want to do),

Sign up, make the necessary amount of transactions, take the €100 and close the account/ don't use it. Same for AIB and BOI!

Credit Cards are grand if you know how to use them. Uber handy for Amazon, Ebay and other stuff.

Limerick = 0
    Galway = 2

Hmmm, does that mean Galway is twice as rough as Limerick? :P

Didn't do a maths course did you?
    2/0 = 0 (or Error if on calculator)...
    0 x Anything = 0

:p

🤪

ninty9er wrote: »
    NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo. You do not, I repeat DO NOT need a credit card!!

Sign up, make the necessary amount of transactions, take the €100 and close the account/ don't use it. Same for AIB and BOI!
    No credit cards are really handy, I use alot of online things like skype, ebay etc (had to use parents credit card up until now...)
    thanks for the advice though

No credit cards are really handy, I use alot of online things like skype, ebay etc (had to use parents credit card up until now...)
    thanks for the advice though

Get a 3V card

Oh and by the way if you're looking for a society to join, I'll be looking for a secretary...see below

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Freshers Week is gona be messyyy. Can't wait. I miss the lodge :eek:

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Didn't do a maths course did you?

Thankfully no, I still have my sanity and social life. :P

Advertisement