Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S. road trip - iPhone or Alternative?

• 21-08-2008 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Wasn't sure where exactly to put this so I stumped for here.

Im going traveling around North America and South America for a year and I think it will be very useful to have some sort of gadget that I can browse the internet through the thousands of free wifi spots that are in the US. It is vital for my trip as I will be constantly on the move and need it to book hotels and pay bills etc. and to have a handheld device will be miles better that constantly having to look out for an internet cafe.

The iPhone seems to meet my needs as it has an easy to use browser and easy to connect to any local wifi spots.

However the more I read about it, the more I realize it has far more than I need and that all I would ever really use would be the web browser on it, so would anyone else have any suggestions on what i could bring?
    A blackberry perhaps? Is it as easy to use at the iPhone? I've never used one. I did at one stage consider bringing my laptop but that would just be too cumbersome to carry around for a year...

Any suggestions appreciated!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

If you're into games a psp could be a possibility? You will be able to connect to wifi spots to browse the internet and play some games to pass the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

An iPod touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Teslacuted

Bringing an iPhone to south america may not be the best idea, it'll stand out more than you want it to and Apple's marketing dept has made sure there's demand for it, personally I'd go with something much more commodity.

Have you looked at the Asus EEE laptops? They're on display in most PC Worlds, small, light, cheap, might be just what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Teslacuted wrote: »
    Bringing an iPhone to south america may not be the best idea, it'll stand out more than you want it to and Apple's marketing dept has made sure there's demand for it, personally I'd go with something much more commodity.

Have you looked at the Asus EEE laptops? They're on display in most PC Worlds, small, light, cheap, might be just what you're looking for.

Good suggestion - I saw an Asus tiny laptop for €379 in the CPW Blanch yesterday, probably a better solution as it would be your primary form of communication with the rest of the world for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Thanks everyone. May look into the Asus laptop and the iPod touch.

I wont be flashing either of them around South America anyway, I wont need it as much down there, more so for North America, but thanks for the suggestions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement