Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to tan or not to tan...that is the question....

Options
  • 21-08-2008 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

Im sure this thread has been done many times before, but i think our whole attitude towards fake tan has evolved somewhat from what it used to be.

Certainly I see a lot less oompah loompahs around the place!!

Personally, im very lazy about the whole tan business, i like myself when i am tanned, but fcuk me its a chore to do!!

Also, i seem to pull more when im whiter than white...weirdly enough...

Opinions please.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

There are natural tans you can get which don't make you out o be like a umpah lumpa ! We are naturally a pale lot so maybe we should just leave it and look Naturally Irish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

It is indeed a chore... *sighs* but it gives me a bit of self confidence to bare a little leg in the warmer months. But in winter I couldn't give a rat's bottom... I always wear jeans or tights anyway, I am not baring my legs when it's like under 10 degrees out. You crazy Irish women, in that respect, I salute you ;)

My favourite is btw Saint Tropez. It gives that perfect sun-kissed effect, tried Fake Bake. Too dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Nope I'd never be bothered with it, I really don't see the point, it more often than not looks crap on people. People spend ridiculous amounts on fake tan and end up just looking dirty, dirty faces, hands, elbows, knees and ankles. I have felt the urge to give some people a good wash with a scrubbing brush!!

I had fake tan put on me for my sisters wedding by the make up artist and I look crazy in photos, doesnt look like me. Not my thing at all. But I do agree there has been less oompa loompas around thank god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Has nobody noticed that in the efforts to get away from looking like you've been tangoed a lot of people are wearing a tan now that just makes them look dirty!!!! It looks like theres mud all over their face which personally i think is worse! I'm naturally really really pale, like sick looking white but fake tan takes up way too much time and the decent ones are expensive. Everytime it comes off on sheets or on clothes i swear to never use it again! I'd say i use it once every 4 months or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The majoity of nice chaps that i know don't really go in for the fake tan/loads of make up look.

The majority of assholes that i know do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I'm sitting here after my 3rd application of tan and its still patchy with bits missed. Only for I don't want people saying i look like a corpse at the wedding tomorrow I wouldn't have bothered. (i'm very pale)

Its just so much effort and I can honestly say I've never seen a well done fake tan on anybody. I agree with the dirty look thing, they look like they need a good scrub

@ Dragan, why do a$$holes go for girls with a tan? Do they think she's an easy lay or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

I do love looking a tad bit sunkissed but its such a bloody chore. Im naturally kinda pale and always feel it looks a bit sick looking. Plus pale legs and skirts without tights don't look great imo.
    When I can be arsed to put it on I use Sally Hanson spray on tan for legs all over myself soo much easier and you don't come out looking like an umpah-lumpa, washes off at the end of the night too.
    One thing though is that I'd never use sunbeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

If I'm going out I would put it on, but not to the point where I'm orange. I hate when girls put it on their face and they havw dry skin so it goes all patchy euw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

@ Dragan, why do a$$holes go for girls with a tan? Do they think she's an easy lay or what??

Pretty much. Plenty of guys i know work off the basic assumption that because THEY get dressed up to get laid ( by dressed up read shower, spend half an hour picking at their hair, thrown on some sh1te looking shirt that will be a mild variety of the ones their mates wear and hit the streets ) that girls do the same.

In their heads the ONLY reason that YOU would get dressed up is to attract THEIR attention. Sure why else would you spend ages working on looking good?

It would never even enter their head that girls just like to look good!

I would see the same thing with insecure friends who's girlfriends were going out, the would get all worried about why she was dressing herself up, putting on the make up.....doing all those things that the guy associates with her desire to look good, because in a sad and juvenile little way he doesn't want her to want to look good when his is not about.

It's like the whole "tramp stamp" thing that went around about girls who have a tattoo on their lower back. This was supposed to mean they would always be up for it and such.

Pretty pathetic thinking really.

*runs off to get tatoo removed*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Dragan wrote: »
    Pretty much. Plenty of guys i know work off the basic assumption that because THEY get dressed up to get laid ( by dressed up read shower, spend half an hour picking at their hair, thrown on some sh1te looking shirt that will be a mild variety of the ones their mates wear and hit the streets ) that girls do the same.

In their heads the ONLY reason that YOU would get dressed up is to attract THEIR attention. Sure why else would you spend ages working on looking good?

It would never even enter their head that girls just like to look good!

I would see the same thing with insecure friends who's girlfriends were going out, the would get all worried about why she was dressing herself up, putting on the make up.....doing all those things that the guy associates with her desire to look good, because in a sad and juvenile little way he doesn't want her to want to look good when his is not about.

It's like the whole "tramp stamp" thing that went around about girls who have a tattoo on their lower back. This was supposed to mean they would always be up for it and such.

Pretty pathetic thinking really.

Arschgeweih: German for a$$ antlers.

Laughed so hard when I saw them being described as that!!

I don't think that guys even notice a tan/ lack of it if it's done properly or if it's a natural one.
    Where I come from everyone do sunbeds, yes even the blokes, and it's just normal to look tanned all year around.
    Ive noticed the reason that tan-in-a-bottle looks so horrific on some youngwans is that they're either to pale to start with or they apply it in a very 'i don't give a shyte' way.

I'm all for pale and natural, coz I can't do sunbeds on account of my complexion but I don't think it's in any way weird or unattractive to have a nice natural(looking) tan.

If we were living in California no one would ever whinge about it, eh?

*dreams away*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I personally was very anti fake tan until recently...i am very pale and always wore tights instead of bare legs. but i use san tropez everyday and find it gives me a real subtle glow without the brown fake tan look. i now feel more confident to bare the legs as they arent pasty white! plus its a moisturizer so thats so bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

succumbed to tan this evening...out with a gang tomorro night and i'll be like casper if i dont make the effort!!

Palmers tanning moisturiser....my life saver!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Contemplating tanning for the first time ever for my cousin's wedding in September due to the colour of my dress. Any suggestions on what'll streak least?

exfoliate well over the days coming up to it, and keep your skin well moisturised, then , as its for a wedding, go get yourself spray tanned, xen tan if you can find it, it'll cost much the same as buying a decent one and the results will be much better, esp as you haven't used one before.

Hope this helps!!

Exfoliate yourself until your skin is on the verge of bleeding in the shower, moisturise yourself as much as possible-i think saint tropex mousse is fairly foolproof but probably for the first time i'd go to a salon to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

For what its worth, I think the natural look is much more appealing to me. Women who are comfortable in their own skin, rather than covered in piz-buin, tend to get my attention over someone who has obviously used fake tan; and most people I know would tend to agree with me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

It's funny how some women feel the need to justify wearing fake tan to others by saying they're very pale. It's Ireland, most of the country is milky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I'm of sallow complexion but with the current climate don't get much exposure to the old UV. I'm not ashamed to say I wear fake tan. I look way better bronzed up. From thursday through Sunday I'm fake-baked, the rest of the days, unless something important comes up I am happy to be au naturelle.

• Advertisement

nummnutts wrote: »
    rather than covered in piz-buin

Well you really would be an oompah loompah if you wore that stuff...

Its one of the original tango jobbies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

It is indeed a chore... *sighs* but it gives me a bit of self confidence to bare a little leg in the warmer months. But in winter I couldn't give a rat's bottom... I always wear jeans or tights anyway, I am not baring my legs when it's like under 10 degrees out. You crazy Irish women, in that respect, I salute you ;)

This is something that always baffles me, in previous years it's always seemed to be in the winter months that girls started wearing skirts, particularly miniskirts about town, how they aren't going around with blue legs is beyond me. At least this year they seem to have realised f*ck fashion, wear the short skirts in the summer when they are practical, though I'm still waiting to see if they keep wearing them in winter or have sense and wear something that offers a bit more protection against the elements.
    I don't think that guys even notice a tan/ lack of it if it's done properly or if it's a natural one.
    The thing many girls seem to live in denial about is that even the good fake tans you can usually spot anyway, it was quite amusing in the olympics even seeing the atheletes and being able to tell at a glance whether they'd fake tan or not when the camera zoomed in. You'd think they'd be too busy worrying about their performance to waste time on this stuff.
    Fact is Irish people are not meant to be tanned, pale people feeling they should use fake tan is no different to black people feeling they should use skin bleach. Neither situation should happen.
    Chemicals are not good for the skin, and frankly, some people look a lot better without them.
    Indeed, how many times throughout history have we happily used chemicals on/in our bodies or our food only to be later told "oops, looks like it was actually harmful"?
    DDT
    E-numbers in foods
    Thalidomide for pregnant women
    cigarettes
    etc...
    Why add another questionable substance to the little cocktail mix we're already setting up in our bodies?

Well the active ingredient in fake tans has been around since the 50s(DHA), so i think we're safe enough!!

And the short skirts will still be worn in winter, but with tights!!!

Big again for the autumn it seems!!!

UV's been around for millenia yet they only decided there around the 70s/80s that it was bad for us.
    How long were mobile phones around before people started to question their safety?

Rant:
    Besides it's not just whether it's safe, it's whether it's safe in conjunction with every other chemical and radiation that we subject ourselves to. In fact with the ever increasing levels of EM radiation we use for our technology these chemicals become ever more likely to react since it just takes the right frequency to begin pumping energy into the molecules, safety testing of the technology the frequencies are generated by is not going to be a fully comprehensive test of "well this hair conditioner, this foundation and this food additive can boil when within a 5m radius of the transmitter, and these ones will become unstable within 20m, but all the others are fine".

As with all the other chemicals and technology it's not been defined as safe, but rather safe so far as we know. For all anyone knows it could be reducing fertility, increasing odds of senile dementia, no-one knows as until someone spots a connection no-one does a study of such long term and subtle consequences as people take note of new results not analyses that show nothing the same thing as everyone already thought.

Why add to the risks when the benefit is only aesthetic, there's no health benefit to a fake tan? At least genuine tan has other health benefits due to the sunlight helping to produce vitamin D and also elevating mood due to the effect it has on neurotransmitter levels, so while it also has a known risk of cancer it has much more noteable benefits than fake tan.

why then do you think women wear false tan??? Possibly to in someway emulate the feel good factor of a real tan???

And BTW, if your scientific rant was supposed to in someway bamboozle me perhaps this is a good time to point out I have a primary degree and masters in a life science discipline. I take your point on board but please do not attempt to come on here and make me out to be some oompah loompah bimbo by blinding me with science.

Anyhoo... i tanned last night and again this morning. cant say enough about that Palmers stuff, it really is the business.

As somebody who is so pale, i have to say i much prefer these gradual tanner jobbies, they're much easier to use, less full on and less messy, and at least you dont have as much of the casper effect in the pub on Friday night amongst the oompah loopah 'beauties'-thats what im aiming to avoid tonight;)

Still, i cant wait for the winter.....so i can fully embrace my paleness, and wear tights to hide my white stick legs!!!

Well I'll tell you two things Farohar.

1. Do I tan in the sun. Nope. In the Irish sun? Nope (what Irish sun?????)
    I sometimes I do a sunbed if I feel an urge for UV but see above? No result on the skin. Just a bit of wellbeing from being warm/frying my skin for 5 minutes

2. Boy, if you've seen me with a self tanner there is NO WAY you would have said 'that is fake tan'. I am SO good.
    And I think a lot of girls are at that level of practice now they can apply it without streaks, orangey bits etc.

If I want to go for the English/Irish/EU rose, I'll do it and I'll look well.
    If I want to go for the little-bit-sunkissed-Heidi Klum look, I will indeed as well. Thank gosh for the choices we have nowadays eh?

The thing about saying i wear fake tan because i'm pale isn't to justify it or because i'm just pale its because my natural skin colour is sick looking white. When i'm natural and out and about i always have someone asking if i'm ill!!! Also my skin is the kind that doesn't tan i go from sickly white to tomato red in a half an hour on holidays without my factor 50!

why then do you think women wear false tan??? Possibly to in someway emulate the feel good factor of a real tan???
    It's not just a case of feeling good because you think you look good with real sun exposure, the sunlight actually affects the brain chemistry to make you feel good in a natural way completely separate to whatever further boost having a tan may give your ego.
    And BTW, if your scientific rant was supposed to in someway bamboozle me perhaps this is a good time to point out I have a primary degree and masters in a life science discipline. I take your point on board but please do not attempt to come on here and make me out to be some oompah loompah bimbo by blinding me with science.
    :eek: Inadequacy issues much? I never in any way alluded to you not understanding, I put it in spoilers as I doubt very much most people care about the science and my reasons for feeling people should be more cautious about these things as they're much happier to just worry about the here and now.

Well I'll tell you two things Farohar.

1. Do I tan in the sun. Nope. In the Irish sun? Nope (what Irish sun?????)
    I sometimes I do a sunbed if I feel an urge for UV but see above? No result on the skin. Just a bit of wellbeing from being warm/frying my skin for 5 minutes
    As well as vitamin D and the boost to endorphins.
    Is it more important to look healthy or to be healthy? Many people can look a bit fat yet they'll be quite fit and as such have a low risk of heart attack, some slender people can have their arteries nearly completely clogged and have a high risk. Appearence is only a very rough indicator of health so yes it will help get you past other peoples' initial judgements but you yourself know whether or not you're healthy. Thanks to the big UV-cancer scare most of us are not getting enough vitamin D => most of us are at an increased risk of brittle bones, throw in the far more sedentry lifestyle most kids lead and we don't even build up bone density to the same level we used to, fake tan will do nothing to combat this.

Choice is good, I just worry about the possible consequences and the reasons behind making the choice. A nice new spray paint won't keep the engine of a car turning over, nor will painting a mini "ferrari-red" make it a ferrari.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dreamr

i say do tan. you look more healither with a tan, and it makes you slimmer looking, and makes your teeth appear whiter...

good "natural tan"s: johnson hoilday sun; fake ban, number 7...

• Advertisement

Fake bake is one of those tand where you come out filthy looking. I guess if you use tan a lot you get used to the orange/dirty look. On fake tans though seriously less is more. A little colour i think looks lovely but some people border on looking black which stands out a fake tan mile!

Advertisement