Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best starter network course

Options
  • 21-08-2008 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Can anyone recommend a network course for someone who has some basic experience and has covered the basics in college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

gooner1 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a network course for someone who has some basic experience and has covered the basics in college?
    CompTIA Network+

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gooner1

Thanks, is it better to do at night over a few weeks or in a week crash course?

Does anyone recommend any particular college?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

gooner1 wrote: »
    Thanks, is it better to do at night over a few weeks or in a week crash course?

Does anyone recommend any particular college?
    If you are not already working with networks then it might be better to study over a longer period since it gives things a chance to sink in instead of being hit with a wad of information in one go.

I can't help with the college though. Do a search on google and check out the FAS website.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gooner1

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

depends on how long you want to cover it over, there's a 3 year Bachelor of Science in Computer Network Administration in AIT, it started last year, however it's an intensive course, I'm mixed into a few classes with the guys that are doing it. They're essentially getting Cisco Certified and much more. Covering everything from wired, wireless, radio, maths, security, web technologies etc... all on that link :) As far as I know, they've covered the CCNA in year one so far, but I don't know if they've sat the exams yet. They're moving onto wireless networks for year two.

If I had known about the course before joining mine, I would have liked to do it, but as mentioned, it's pretty intensive, they've to cram so much in, in a short space of time. Doing Cisco exams every week along with the normal college workload.

Bah I keep forgetting my point, if you want to just get started without a commitment like that, go for the Network+ you can take your time at it. Same goes for the CCNA but it's a lot more information thrown at you than the Network + content wise. As Axer said take your time doing it, experience is essential as it'll stick better. You can do the CCNA in 2 months if you were to push yourself, but why bother, you'll only be doing it for the exam and then you'll forget a lot of it, which leaves you screwed when you enter a job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement