Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish football this weekend: 22-24/08/08

• 21-08-2008 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

22 Aug 2008 Cork City 7:45 Bray Wanderers Turner's Cross
    22 Aug 2008 Drogheda United 7:45 Shamrock Rovers United Park
    22 Aug 2008 Galway United 7:45 Bohemians :cool: Terryland Park
    22 Aug 2008 UCD 7:45 Derry City Belfield Bowl
    22 Aug 2008 Finn Harps 7:45 Cobh Ramblers Finn Park
    24 Aug 2008 St Patrick's Athletic 7:00 Sligo Rovers Richmond Park

Come on Rovers! :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Galway had a good win in the cup last week so hopefully they can take something off of Bohs. I doubt it though. Pat's really need to hit a good patch now, especially the run that Bohs are on. We can hardly afford to even draw games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

22 Aug 2008 Cork City 7:45 Bray Wanderers Cawk

22 Aug 2008 Drogheda United 7:45 Shamrock Rovers Draw

22 Aug 2008 Galway United 7:45 Bohemians Tan win

22 Aug 2008 UCD 7:45 Derry City L'Derry

22 Aug 2008 Finn Harps 7:45 Cobh Ramblers Draw

24 Aug 2008 St Patrick's Athletic 7:00 Sligo Rovers Pats

Rovers beat Drogs easily on the first day of the season up there - I think we will carve out a draw.

Hard to see any surprises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

monkey9 wrote: »
    Pat's really need to hit a good patch now, especially the run that Bohs are on. We can hardly afford to even draw games.
    Even if Pats were to win all their remaining fixtures, I can't see Bohs dropping too many points - the title's theirs I think.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Even if Pats were to win all their remaining fixtures, I can't see Bohs dropping too many points - the title's theirs I think.

Yeah, i'm thinking the same. But hopefully Pat's can make them at least earn the title instead of just letting them have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Rovers beat Drogs easily on the first day of the season up there - I think we will carve out a draw.

Hard to see any surprises
    He he. Glad to see your spirits haven't been dampened despite Rovers dismal recent performances. Three defeats on the bounce and just one goal scored. Drogs to win cosily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dundalk v Waterford 7.45 Tonight Oriel Park.

Massive game for Dundalk , It could possibly be our biggest game in years.
    I predict a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Sarge wrote: »
    Dundalk v Waterford 7.45 Tonight Oriel Park.

Massive game for Dundalk , It could possibly be our biggest game in years.
    I predict a draw.

I'm prediciting an early lead for Dundalk then about 75mins hanging on and about 15 cigarettes smoked by me.

Wonder what changes will be made from Cup game(s)? Baker in maybe? Wouldn't mind having him for first goal.

Not really confident about a win, but it's a game that we must win to really push on and leave this division.

djpbarry wrote: »

Until its taken off them for their blatant cheating re the wage cap.

Can't wait. Bohs, Cork, Shels, Dundalk, Longford and Waterford all in the first. Biggest boost to the wasteland since Rovers were there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Game looks very drawy(don't care if drawy isn't a real word). Unless Gill has the balls to go for the win. He generally shows the opposition teams in the top half of the table far too much respect, making sure his team don't lose rather than going for the win.

Still though, there's a huge incentive tonight to go for it knowing that a win would open up a five point gap at the top with just ten or so games left.

Pighead wrote: »
    He he. Glad to see your spirits haven't been dampened despite Rovers dismal recent performances. Three defeats on the bounce and just one goal scored. Drogs to win cosily.

The performances haven't been dismal though. We have played well, if a little toothless up front, in all the games and in the Cork and tan games in particular we were most unlucky.

Drogs haven't beaten us yet this season and I see nothing to chage that tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Game looks very drawy(don't care if drawy isn't a real word). Unless Gill has the balls to go for the win. He generally shows the opposition teams in the top half of the table far too much respect, making sure his team don't lose rather than going for the win.

Still though, there's a huge incentive tonight to go for it knowing that a win would open up a five point gap at the top with just ten or so games left.

He won't have the balls to go for it. I'm not one of these people who are always calling for the managers head, but I'm going to have to agree with John and Larry on this one and say we are top of the league in spite of his tactics not because of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Cork City Bray Wanderers
    Drogheda United Shamrock Rovers Draw
    Galway United Bohemians
    UCD Derry City
    Finn Harps Cobh Ramblers
    St Patrick's Athletic Sligo Rovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

What is the odds that the game will be boring a hell as Crawley hoofs the ball all day long?

Heard Whelehan will be back.

So who will be up front Smyth and Baker, Smyth and Vaughan or Baker and Vaughan?

Vaughan has played crap for the last few games but he does bring that bit of class like on Monday night against Bray with that beauty of a shot that just went wide.

eamoss wrote: »
    What is the odds that the game will be boring a hell as Crawley hoofs the ball all day long?

Heard Whelehan will be back.

So who will be up front Smyth and Baker, Smyth and Vaughan or Baker and Vaughan?

Vaughan has played crap for the last few games but he does bring that bit of class like on Monday night against Bray with that beauty of a shot that just went wide.

I'd say he'll go with Baker up top and Vaughan a bit further back. Would prefer to see Mulvenna and Baker paired together. Think Cassidy needs to step it up again. Great start to the season but i thinks hes gone off the boil a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

SectionF wrote: »
    22 Aug 2008 Cork City 7:45 Bray Wanderers Turner's Cross
    22 Aug 2008 Drogheda United 7:45 Shamrock Rovers United Park
    22 Aug 2008 Galway United 7:45 Bohemians :cool: Terryland Park
    22 Aug 2008 UCD 7:45 Derry City Belfield Bowl
    22 Aug 2008 Finn Harps 7:45 Cobh Ramblers Finn Park
    24 Aug 2008 St Patrick's Athletic 7:00 Sligo Rovers Richmond Park

Come on Rovers! :p

As a Bohs fan you might wanna get used to posting up the First Division fixtures. ;)

You can help familiarise yourself with some of the teams in the meantime.

21 Aug 2008 Dundalk 7:45 Waterford United Oriel Park (Draw please!)
    22 Aug 2008 Kildare County 7:45 Sporting Fingal Station Road (Away win no doubt)
    22 Aug 2008 Monaghan United 8:00 Wexford Youths Kingspan Century Park
    22 Aug 2008 Shelbourne 8:00 Longford Town Tolka Park (A home win at any cost please!)
    23 Aug 2008 Athlone Town 7:00 Limerick 37 Lissywoollen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Zebra3 wrote: »
    22 Aug 2008 Shelbourne 8:00 Longford Town Tolka Park
    Bisto + Georgescu = Win, IMO
    Hopefully anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Cawk

You remind me of Jonathan Woss. :p

I agree with your predictions, no surprises this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

:( big win for dundalk tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

:( big win for dundalk tonight.

massive im only home from the boozer :)

Fairly convincing performance last night. Waterford had fcuk all chances. Can't believe the decision the ref made in the last seconds, to call play back for a free kick (which looked a stone wall penalty from where i was standing) when Cassidy crossed for Marney to tap in. Ref seemed very late with decision as well. Ball had been crossed in before he blew for free.

Aside from that it was a decent win. 5 points clear, so pretty happy with that. Hoping Longford can grab a draw at Shels to keep them off the scent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Until its taken off them for their blatant cheating re the wage cap.

Can't wait. Bohs, Cork, Shels, Dundalk, Longford and Waterford all in the first. Biggest boost to the wasteland since Rovers were there.
    ONYD, your hilarious fixation on The Big Club continues to delight and entertain. What ever will you do if we do go down? :D

What ever will you do when we do go down? :D

Corrected that for you, SectionF :D

stovelid wrote: »
    Corrected that for you, SectionF :D
    Shame you can't correct derby scorelines. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bisto + Georgescu = Win, IMO
    Hopefully anyway...

Bisto won't play.

Bench at a stretch.

Shame you can't correct derby scorelines. :pac:

Still one more to come..... :pac:

Still one more to come..... :pac:
    True. There are a few banana skins with minor outfits to come. Looking forward as always to ONYD's inimitable insight on that one. :cool:

True. There are a few banana skins with minor outfits to come. Looking forward as always to ONYD's inimitable insight on that one. :cool:

If the price of the league is relegation and insolvency, you can keep it, dude. :pac:

If the price of the league is relegation and insolvency, you can keep it, dude. :pac:
    On matters of relegation and insolvency, I'll defer to your vastly superior knowledge. ;)
    To be honest (and, ahem, serious for a moment), I have no idea if we or anyone else is in breach of the 65% rule. But I agree that anyone who is should have the full force of the rules applied. We'll see...

Draw for rovers as predicted. Sounded like a good night for shels. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anto Murphy and O Donnell sent off!! Wtf happened

Des wrote: »
    Bisto won't play.

Bench at a stretch.
    He came on at 5-0
    Draw for rovers as predicted. Sounded like a good night for shels. . .

Bloody brilliant night, and a fooking class goal by Forsyth to make it 1-0 at 44mins. A better goal this weekend you will not see, and it was 2-0 a minute later, McAllister scored that one (two transfer window signings). Nice to go in 2-0 at half time.

The Longford heads went down I'd say.

The same two lads scored goals three and four, I missed the third because I was still in the poxy bar (spending money in there because the floods near destroyed the place, the lad who runs it spent six grand getting it fixed :eek:), but I'm assured it was a nice volley. Hedderman got the fifth with a header from a corner I think.

In truth it couls have been about 8-3, we were fairly shakey at the back.

But with Bisto back, and Georgescu not even getting off the bench, I can us keeping the scoring going, because Forsyth's partner tonight, Gorman, looked lively too.

What were the scores tonight?? Any chance at all that Bohs dropped points?????

What were the scores tonight?? Any chance at all that Bohs dropped points?????

Boez won 2-0.

I'll post scores in a sec.

Cork City 3 - 0 Bray Wanderers

Drogheda United 1 - 1 Shamrock Rovers

Galway United 0 - 2 Bohemians

UCD 1 - 2 Derry City

Finn Harps 2 - 2 Cobh Ramblers

Ten point lead for Bohs, it's theirs to lose at this stage.

Drogheda drawing with Shamrock is ridiculous for the Champions.

Monaghan United 1 - 2 Wexford Youths

Shelbourne 5 - 0 Longford Town

Kildare County 1 - 1 Sporting Fingal

Torpedo dropping points is good for Shels.

Boez won 2-0.

UCD 1 - 2 Derry City

Jaysus, looks like Pat's are gonna have to just concentrate on winning the UEFA Cup!!!

Boez won 2-0.

UCD 1 - 2 Derry City

sounds like a cracking win for ur lot. nothing like giving a team a good trouncing!! made shit of my 1-1 prediction though.

Glad Fingal dropped points. Looks like Shels and Waterford fighting for second place!:D

• Advertisement

Drogs snatched the equalizer. Probably about 3-4 minutes to go.

ibh wrote: »
    sounds like a cracking win for ur lot. nothing like giving a team a good trouncing!!
    Thing is though, the should have scored a couple. I t could have been different. In truth, 5-0 flattered us.
    Drogs snatched the equalizer. Probably about 3-4 minutes to go.

I know.

Bleedin' CL Qualifiers, I reckon teams would be better served going for 2nd spot and playing in the UEFA Cup, it would be easier to break than the CL, imo.

Any chance at all that Bohs dropped points?????
    Well the ref gave 'em two chances, but it still didn't work. 10 points clear!
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::

22 Aug 2008 Cork City 7:45 Bray Wanderers Cawk

22 Aug 2008 Drogheda United 7:45 Shamrock Rovers Draw

22 Aug 2008 Galway United 7:45 Bohemians Tan win

22 Aug 2008 UCD 7:45 Derry City L'Derry

22 Aug 2008 Finn Harps 7:45 Cobh Ramblers Draw

24 Aug 2008 St Patrick's Athletic 7:00 Sligo Rovers Pats

Barring a junkies slip up tomorrow, you should have put a few quid down, ONYD :)

That said - odds were probably sh*t on a fixture list like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

As easy a win as City will ever have. Totally dominated the game, and 3-0 is probably flattering to Bray. Gough made 2 fantastic saves for two certain goals, and the woodwork helped them twice also. It must be mentioned also, that whoever the fúck was ref tonight did his very best t destroy an entertaining game. He was atrocious. And that goes without mentioning the "assistants".

City 'til I die and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Great win for Shels
    I'd echo Des' comment though, 5 - 0 did flatter us.
    Good performances from Forsyth and McAllister, although 2 of the goals were pretty scrappy
    ...although McAllister's 1st and Forsyth's 1st more than made up for that.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gimmick wrote: »
    As easy a win as City will ever have. Totally dominated the game, and 3-0 is probably flattering to Bray. Gough made 2 fantastic saves for two certain goals, and the woodwork helped them twice also. It must be mentioned also, that whoever the fúck was ref tonight did his very best t destroy an entertaining game. He was atrocious. And that goes without mentioning the "assistants".

City 'til I die and all that.

+1 Not many times have I seen a team offer as little as Bray did. City could have easily gotten 5 or 6, including one absolute corker which came back off the top corner. Would have been beautiful. As above, the ref was pretty shocking, a few very obvious fouls missed, giving free's where nothing happened and pointless yellow cards thrown out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Assistants were worse.

onsides 3 times called off in 2nd half.

From the off Cork were totally dominant and worked hard when they didnt have the ball. Dudfield is decent if a bit neil Fenn like in the pace department.

Proud to be a City fan listening to the Shed tonight. That doesn't happen too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

TBH shels scoring five was not surprising given the fact we have no defenders. What happened the bar that it cost six grand to fix??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Extreme flooding. Not of the Anto variety.

TBH shels scoring five was not surprising given the fact we have no defenders. What happened the bar that it cost six grand to fix??!

Just Shels fans in general..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A great win and some great goals. :cool:

Just need Dundalk to make a slip now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Sligo Rovers are still appealing for funds, apparently they have only raised 44,000 if the 130,000 they need to say afloat.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0824/sligorovers.html?RTEMAILID
    Sligo Rovers have issued a fresh appeal for funds, as the financial crisis at the club continues. A statement released by the club announced that only €44,000 had been raised so far, some way short of the €130,000 required to keep the club in business.
    The club had set a deadline of 31 August to raise the money.

They have now urged the people of Sligo to come out in force for their upcoming home league games against Drogheda United and Bohemians.
    They've also asked those who attend - including season tickets holders, committee members, stewards and press - to make a voluntary €20 contribution to the club.
    Manager Paul Cook and his players have agreed to return their free passes for the remainder of the season.

:p

When will people learn I am never wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

92nd minute winner for Pats tonight :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement