Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox Addon

Options
  • 21-08-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭

Building custom firefox addon.

Hey guys, I'm looking to build a very basic firefox addon that'll allow me to display snippets of a web page in either a sidebar or bottom bar that'll remain visible no matter what tab etc is open.

This would come in incredibly handy for a certain webpage that usually requires constant monitoring for work. Any ideas how I could go about this or is there an existing addon with this in mind that I could take apart and recode to suit my needs?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Achilles wrote: »
    Building custom firefox addon.

Hey guys, I'm looking to build a very basic firefox addon that'll allow me to display snippets of a web page in either a sidebar or bottom bar that'll remain visible no matter what tab etc is open.

This would come in incredibly handy for a certain webpage that usually requires constant monitoring for work. Any ideas how I could go about this or is there an existing addon with this in mind that I could take apart and recode to suit my needs?

Cheers!

Not sure about existing Add-On. but I can give you the build environment I made for the boards.ie plugin and you can just rip out the unrelated code. Need to be using Eclipse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

That'd be great Hobbes but it's literally only a standard HTML web page that I'd be looking to display. I'd just be looking for it to read specific snippets from the HTML page itself in a small summary.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What you could do is create php script to download the page and from there you can modify and remove the code you dont want.

This is a small example that I made to go to my router and display the current upload and download stats in real time rather than wait for BT to update them once every 24 hours.
    http://jmccrohan.com/scripts/btusage/

You can easily then just view this in the sidebar in firefox.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    What you could do is create php script to download the page and from there you can modify and remove the code you dont want.

This is a small example that I made to go to my router and display the current upload and download stats in real time rather than wait for BT to update them once every 24 hours.
    http://jmccrohan.com/scripts/btusage/

You can easily then just view this in the sidebar in firefox.

Any chance you could supply me with the code so that I can have a tinker?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Achilles wrote: »
    Any chance you could supply me with the code so that I can have a tinker?
    Yup. I'll send it later. I'm in work atm. Do you have a server with php installed?

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Yup. I'll send it later. I'm in work atm. Do you have a server with php installed?

Well it's an intranet site that I'll be pulling the info from so I'm just going to use one of the many php servers here in the office.

Advertisement