Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Moderation

Options
  • 21-08-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

I got a permanent ban for this - http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055334395&page=2

I got an infraction and was invited to discuss it with Muffler. When I sent him a private PM, he misinterpeted me and banned me for two weeks.

Muffler then sent me an insulting PM warning me not to reply during my two week ban.
    I was automatically allowed to log in, so I assumed all was well.
    Within minutes of posting on the site I was banned permanently.

I wasn't given a chance to offer a retraction. When I tried to PM Muffler, he sent me a "smart" reply and put me in his "ignore list" - very mature.

It seems Muffler was manipulated by others and took his fustration out on me. He is the Moderator that locks the most threads and bans the most people.

Has the power gone to his head?
    It is not possible to have a discussion with a Moderator. If they don't like you they just ban you!

Theres nothing you can do. Its all very unreasonable.

It is all very unfair.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've given muffler access to this thread to engage. RKQ is it OK for muffler (or yourself) to post the contents of your PMs publically in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

No, it is not ok.
    Muffler put me on his ignore list and now he wants to display private PM's.
    He has refused to discuss the issue but now wants a Public discussion!

PM are private and all the Moderators have seen all the PMs. He passed it on to his fellow Moderators.

I resent the tone of his previous PM's. I've been jeered enought.

Muffler is welcome to reply in an honest mature way without jeering.

RKQ wrote: »
    No, it is not ok.
    He has refused to discuss the issue but now wants a Public discussion!
    No. I want you to display PM's, because I cannot see your PM's or muffler's PM's, so if you want this resolved, I will need to be able to see these PM's.

You are the one who wanted a public discussion, not muffler.

Without the content of the PMs, there's not much to discuss here. Note that you can't post muffler's PMs without his permission; only your own.

I've asked muffler for his permission to post these PMs.

Note: If neither of you/one of you are completely unhappy to post these PMs in public, then you can forward them on to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,110 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No you didnt. You got an infraction and the other person involed in the "tiff" got a 3 month ban.

I got an infraction and was invited to discuss it with Muffler. When I sent him a private PM, he misinterpeted me and banned me for two weeks.
    I banned you for 2 weeks for the spurious allegations you made in that PM.

Muffler then sent me an insulting PM warning me not to reply during my two week ban.
    The system automatically sends you the details of your ban by PM. Out of courtesy I sent you a separate PM explaining (a) the reason behind the ban, (b) responding to the baseless allegations you made and (c) outline the conditions under which you would have access again which included a retraction of the allegations you made.

I was automatically allowed to log in, so I assumed all was well.
    Within minutes of posting on the site I was banned permanently.
    I PMd you again one day before your ban would be automatically lifted and reminded you of the conditions that were set in relation to you having access again but you choose not to accept those conditions so the ban was made permanent.

I wasn't given a chance to offer a retraction. When I tried to PM Muffler, he sent me a "smart" reply and put me in his "ignore list" - very mature.
    You made plenty of time to commence posting on the forum again (6 or 7 posts I believe) yet you couldnt find the time to retract the allegations. You then sent me another Pm with very dubious content and at that stage I had enough and advised that I wouldnt enter into in further communication on the matter and stated that you would be placed on my ignore list.

It seems Muffler was manipulated by others and took his fustration out on me.
    And now we get to the crux of the matter. Another allegation or should I say the same allegation repeated.
    He is the Moderator that locks the most threads and bans the most people.

Has the power gone to his head?
    Post links and proof please.

It is not possible to have a discussion with a Moderator. If they don't like you they just ban you!

Theres nothing you can do. Its all very unreasonable.

It is all very unfair.:)
    I have tried to help you but you refused that help. You were also advised by Mellor where you were going wrong with the accusations you made. I even told you that you would be welcomed back to the forum but only if you withdrew the allegations you made. You refused so your ban is now permanent.

If however you do drop all the conspiracy theories and make the retraction requested then we will look at the situation again,

No, it is not ok.
    He has refused to discuss the issue but now wants a Public discussion
    Ahem!! It was you who opened this thread for the public to see.

PM are private and all the Moderators have seen all the PMs. He passed it on to his fellow Moderators.
    I cc my co-mods into all PMs relating to the moderating of the forum. They are the only mods who can see the PMs. I note that you also cc'd mellor and smashey into your replies.

I resent the tone of his previous PM's. I've been jeered enought.

Muffler is welcome to reply in an honest mature way without jeering.
    I have replied (see above) and I haven't "jeered" as you put nor did I do so in any of my PMs to you.

• Advertisement

Muffler has provided me with the various PMs. RKQ, since you haven't responded to the thread, despite being online since muffler's last response, I've to assume that you have nothing further to add to this.

I see no reason to believe that anything unreasonable nor unfair has taken place here.

The crux of the matter is that you are seen as someone who has and can contribute positively to the forum in question, so there's no major problem with you having access to the forum.

The allegations you made however via PM indicate that you have some sort of issue with moderation in general and that you have particular beliefs about muffler and the other moderators which will cause you to ignore them or fight them at every turn. This makes it very difficult to moderate a forum.

The remedy here is very simple: Retract the allegations you made - either in public or via PM (please CC the other mods on it) and agree that there is no ulterior motive in your banning or "outside influences" acting against you on boards. That's it.

Everything I've read tells me that the guys would like to have your input into threads on the forum. There's nobody here who wants to prevent you from contributing. Quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Sorry Seamus,
    I've been very busy since yesterday afternoon. I was writting a reply to Mufflers comments, referencing all closed thread & bans etc as requested.

I never meant to upset Muffler. I was saddened to receive an infraction and then a ban and had decided to offer a full retraction, last monday. I did not realise an automatic lifting of the ban would occur.
    When it did automatically lift, I wrongly assumed a retraction was no longer required.

I accept that this assumption was a mistake and that a retraction was still required.
    I have no problem offering a full retraction. I never meant to insult or upset Muffler. I did not mean to accuse him of anything. I was simply trying to find out what an infraction meant and to express a personal opinion.

I am quite happy to contact Muffler by PM, if he will accept it, and offer him my sincere apology. I hope he will also accept my public apology on this post.

I never wanted to fall out with anyone. I have never expressioned any opinion other that my own. I have never tried to start a new group or "knock" an existing group. I make no apology for asking questions. I am always happy to debate, in a positive and mature fashion.
    I agree that there is no ulterior motive in my banning or "outside influences" acting against me on boards.ie.

Allegations retracted.
    Apology given and accepted.
    Access restored.

Safe to lock this now.

Advertisement