Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infractions?

Options
  • 21-08-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭

I have cause to be a smartarse occasionally & as a result have incurred an infraction. Can anyone guide me to the correct information so that I can study the use of infractions; how they are administered and how many are accumulated in order to receive a ban…

This will help me to limit my future smartarsedness in order to be an upstanding and contributing member of boards society…
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The wiki should help. Try newbies & faq too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thank you, that clears up the matter at hand.

May I make a suggestion to the powers that be?

Okay, I will... ...when an infraction is issued, the moderators should attach a link to the above wiki as a way of referenincing the rules to the infacted party, therefore alloing them to understand the gravity/non gravity of the situation as it stands.

Do you concur?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Do you concur?
    No.

Each forum has a charter that is available for all to see what's acceptable and what isn't. People should familiarise themselves with it before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ENN0

well the mods should give you a reason for giving you an infraction!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Maybe users could just not be ***** in the first place and get them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

ENN0 wrote: »
    well the mods should give you a reason for giving you an infraction!
    The infraction generates a pm which contains the reason.

You are missing my point.

After recieving said intraction, I spent many seconds/possibly minutes serching for information pertaining to how many infractions it was possible to accumulate before a ban was administered.

It would be most helpful if people were alerted to the use of infractions when they recieve their first - I was unaware of the existence of infractions before I was issued with my very own. Now I feel like I belong to an exclusive club...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sometimes the ban is issued along with an infraction, depends on the forum and this is to keep track of a trouble maker across the site. http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Infractions <--Wiki entry should help.

edit: More http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Boards.ie_FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

This will help me to limit my future smartarsedness in order to be an upstanding and contributing member of boards society…

Uhem, it is entirely possible to post on here and not get infracted or banned so the way I read this is you trying to figure out how close to the line you can step without getting into serious trouble such not being allowed to try and get close to the line.

That's hardly community spirited, now...

I am a serial smartarse & am seeking help with my problem. Clear boundaries are very helpful in my recuperation process as I am unable to identify the limitations of positive social behaviour due to a chemical disorder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I've often thought of being infracted but so far I haven't met the right moderator. Maybe I'm just too shy and don't come across strongly enough to warrant a moderators interest beyond a quick scan. Maybe I'm being too picky by holding out for one of the more popular mods and not one of the minority interest forum mods.

Still though I hope some day I'll be online drunk and a moderator I like will be drunk and maybe, just maybe I can finally get infracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I am a serial smartarse & am seeking help with my problem. Clear boundaries are very helpful in my recuperation process as I am unable to identify the limitations of positive social behaviour due to a chemical disorder.
    Mods have some experience with such matters. Avoid posts like rozie's and you'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Avoid posts like rozie's and you'll be fine!

Great link!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Is it true that a mod cannot infract another mod? Or can they just not infract mods who mod the same forum as them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

They can, but the infracted mod becomes more powerful than you can possibly imagine!

Actually, I have a question about these. I got my first one today (which I fully deserved, so I'm not fighting the power or anything) and it made me think (a thoroughly unpleasant experience).

When I get an infraction, it goes on my permanent record. The infraction goes after 10 days, but my account will always show mods that at one point I had been infracted for whatever reason. But how much info is recorded about this infraction? For example, I was infracted for breach of charter. But does the infraction tell mods how I broke the charter, or link to the post? Or does it just show what the mod wrote at the time.

I was just wondering, really. Oh, and another thing. Mods can give out infractions in any forum, not just their own. Should that really be allowed? Mods are supposed to be standard users in any other forum they visit, and this would result in back-seat modding (well, it could, but I don't think it has so far).

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I see no evidence of your unfortunate affliction here. Well done.

I do think, however, that a more considered approach to your condition might be to curtail your smartassedness as best you can, without knowing when exactly a ban might smack you. Having clear boundaries as you mention will only serve as a target for you to reach, this might even be an unconcious aim. I feel that not knowing where the target is exactly will serve your rehabilitation much more positively, like dancing in a minefield, it will certainly help your concentration on the matter. As for your chemical disorder, you will often find if you stop taking them you feel much better.

Lastly, remember boards is here to help you. If you do receive a ban, rest assured it is in your best interests, and done with your welfare in mind. Boards cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Is it true that a mod cannot infract another mod? Or can they just not infract mods who mod the same forum as them?

Mods can not infract other mods, we can warn them, ask an smod to infract them and we can ban mods who are not out co mods or above us ie smods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

humanji wrote: »
    For example, I was infracted for breach of charter. But does the infraction tell mods how I broke the charter, or link to the post?

I can click through my infraction(s) (displayed under the Infractions tab in my profile) and they link back to the posts that garnered them?

Are they special 'durable-stain' ones? :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

humanji wrote: »
    They can, but the infracted mod becomes more powerful than you can possibly imagine!

Actually, I have a question about these. I got my first one today (which I fully deserved, so I'm not fighting the power or anything) and it made me think (a thoroughly unpleasant experience).

When I get an infraction, it goes on my permanent record. The infraction goes after 10 days, but my account will always show mods that at one point I had been infracted for whatever reason. But how much info is recorded about this infraction? For example, I was infracted for breach of charter. But does the infraction tell mods how I broke the charter, or link to the post? Or does it just show what the mod wrote at the time.

I was just wondering, really. Oh, and another thing. Mods can give out infractions in any forum, not just their own. Should that really be allowed? Mods are supposed to be standard users in any other forum they visit, and this would result in back-seat modding (well, it could, but I don't think it has so far).

I would think any mod that tried that would have an awful lot of explaining to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Infractions normally lead to infarctions - this thread is a welcome relief, thank you Bluefoam...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

You are missing my point.

After recieving said intraction, I spent many seconds/possibly minutes serching for information pertaining to how many infractions it was possible to accumulate before a ban was administered.

It would be most helpful if people were alerted to the use of infractions when they recieve their first - I was unaware of the existence of infractions before I was issued with my very own. Now I feel like I belong to an exclusive club...

and mods spend many second/possibly minutes infracting a poster, searching for the right tick box to adequately desribe the infractable post and putting a small reason in it.

It would be most helpful if posters didn't post infractable posts

your not in an exclusive club, you have to be permabanned for that

Advertisement