Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford - Safe or Not.....

• 21-08-2008 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭

With all the threads about the ongoing feud and additional violence noted in the city, just looking to get feedback and see, do you think Waterford City is a safe place???
    Do you feel safe walking around the City during the day?
    Do you feel safe walking around the City at night?

Do you Feel Safe?? 66 votes

Yes, I feel safe at all times
    0% 0 votes
    I feel safe most of the time
    36% 24 votes
    I don't feel safe most of the time
    53% 35 votes
    No, I don't feel safe at all
    10% 7 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

During the day its pretty safe imho
    During the night...well I've walked most parts of Waterford upto late enough, but don't like O'Connell Street much late at night and at the back of city square area, anywhere else I have always felt reasonably safe

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Waterford city is like any where else you have to keep your witts about you. Whats happening at the moment that element was always there, you have certain people who think they are above the law.

My view is these certain people have a lack of respect and there is only one way you get respect and that my friends is from your mother and father.

and yes it is safe to live and work in this city of ours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It is safe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah I feel safe enough, bar the quieter parts of the city but thats normal enough. I dont worry about the traveller feud as I dont think they will harm us (well, after the incident last time I have my doubts), I worry more about the general scumbags that roam our streets and pick a fight for nothing. Which, does happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I haven't once felt threatened in the city in the past 16-17 years.

I remember when I was 16 getting a puck in the head off a skanger I knew from school and that was the last bit of trouble I ever had. I saw a fight outside Supermac's about 10 years ago and one that ran the length of the street involving about 4 lads outside Geoff's about 2 years ago (quickly broken up by the Garda as it was prime-time in John St.), but that was literally it.

I seem to remember the place being more threatening in the early '90s, but I don't know whether it's because I've grown up, or that the place has become safer, that my perception has changed.

It would be interesting if there are any 16-17 year olds reading, to know whether they fear getting a dig off the tracksuit men like we did in 1990, walking around with our paisley shirts on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Folks, in my opinion such a poll like this is not needed. I think most people are well aware by now what has been hapening over the past couple of months.

Waterford is like any other city in Ireland. It has it's ups and downs. It has it's crime waves etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Its as safe as any other place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JamesBase

It seems to be quite safe. Of course, it can't be compared with bigger cities like Dublin, Limerick or Belfast. I'm foreigner and come from a big city and, honestly, Waterford is quite a safe place to live in. Or at least, it is as unsafe as any other town in Europe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Its safe. If you had something to do what was going its not safe. Although people could have got hurt with the business of the cars in town the other night but the way I look at it people die on the roads everyweek so it cant really count.

The only thing we have to worry about is what sully said about random scumbags picking fights is does happen sometimes in certain parts of town(city).

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

besides from random scummers that u get anywhere then no im not worried at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

I lived in Dublin for 22 years and waterford for over 8 years and have never felt in danger at all... except when King Loser has a glass of the fire water in his hand.. but thats a whole different thread/poll :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I lived in Dublin for 22 years and waterford for over 8 years and have never felt in danger at all... except when King Loser has a glass of the fire water in his hand.. but thats a whole different thread/poll :D:D

MUUHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Waterford is safe. There is the odd crowd of scumbags that pose a danger to society, but overall - it's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

yunfla ja hav a fone wit credit on it, what ya sayin bou me mother, ill dig de hed offa ye

...what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I feel safe in Waterford, and I'm English.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

benifa wrote: »
    I feel safe in Waterford, and I'm English.

If you mean that the whole Anti-English thing could have the potential to cause problems, I think that's very rare these days anyhow... Well compared to the old days id say.

Sully wrote: »
    If you mean that the whole Anti-English thing could have the potential to cause problems, I think that's very rare these days anyhow... Well compared to the old days id say.

Well, I'd say you're wrong Sully. But I don't want to go off topic. Still, I maintain that I feel quite safe in Waterford, nonetheless.

yunfla ja hav a fone wit credit on it, what ya sayin bou me mother, ill dig de hed offa ye

...what?

+1

Well, I'd say you're wrong Sully. But I don't want to go off topic. Still, I maintain that I feel quite safe in Waterford, nonetheless.

Really? Can you PM some examples? Iv never heard of it (not saying your wrong btw) anyway! Would be curious as to what kinda ****e is happening. Thanks :)

Agreed, in all walks of life you come across scum so you just kinda have to put up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

...what?

Hehe, back before there were phones with or without credit...

Eyyy yunfla ja hav a faaaaiiig?
    - Eh, no I don't smoke.
    Eyyy buoy comere'n say da', I break yor fuc'n nooase!!!

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Hehe, back before there were phones with or without credit...

Eyyy yunfla ja hav a faaaaiiig?
    - Eh, no I don't smoke.
    Eyyy buoy comere'n say da', I break yor fuc'n nooase!!!

+1

thats exactly what its like :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was passing by Centra and one of the many drunks asked me for money, I was in a hurry and didn't answer him in anyway so he assumed I was foreign and gave an awful lot of abuse telling me to go back to where I came from etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Cabaal wrote: »
    I was passing by Centra and one of the many drunks asked me for money, I was in a hurry and didn't answer him in anyway so he assumed I was foreign and gave an awful lot of abuse telling me to go back to where I came from etc :rolleyes:

Really? Ha I always thought the Waterford drunks were very friendly.

I thought all that Anti-english sentiment had died out. I'm sure like anything a very small few people keep it up.

I thought all that Anti-english sentiment had died out. I'm sure like anything a very small few people keep it up.

So did I, but apparently not. Guess it does happen we just don't hear about it.. or see it.

..Guess it does happen we just don't hear about it.. or see it.

Perhaps that's because you are not English yourselves?

Perhaps that's because you are not English yourselves?

Perhaps you would like to tell us what type of abuse English people get? I say I don't see it, because I can see racism and thuggery but I never really see any abuse towards the English.

Perhaps you would like to tell us what type of abuse* English people get? I say I don't see it, because I can see racism and thuggery but I never really see any abuse* towards the English.

No Sully, I wouldn't like to. What's the point? Who do I have to prove anything to? I've been here 3 years now and, while I've learnt to live with and ignore it, the anti-English mindset of a good number of Irish people is very real.

Do I want to go on about? No. For one thing I'm in the minority on this board, and frankly I can't be bothered. It's not about to change so.. so be it.

As I said, if you're not English, how are you supposed to know what it's like when someone's smile becomes a frown (or at least, a non-smile), as soon as your accent is heard?

*I never used the word abuse.

No Sully, I wouldn't like to. What's the point? Who do I have to prove anything to? I've been here 3 years now and, while I've learnt to live with and ignore it, the anti-English mindset of a good number of Irish people is very real.

Otherwise, it looks like all noise and no signal. A lot of people seem to think the anti-english has quietened down (well, only one comment bar mine on Boards but people I spoke to outside boards including english relations) and you are disputing this. All I am asking is, what type of ****e do you go through? When? Where? Its a supprise to me.
    Do I want to go on about? No. For one thing I'm in the minority on this board, and frankly I can't be bothered. It's not about to change so.. so be it.

Fair enough, your choice. I think there is a lot of English/Foreign Nationals on this board. Its not all Irish.
    As I said, if you're not English, how are you supposed to know what it's like when someone's smile becomes a frown (or at least, a non-smile), as soon as your accent is heard?

I addressed why in my last post.
    *I never used the word abuse.

Abuse covers verbal and physical. If neither happens, it cant be that bad? I used the term, as its what I think doesnt happen much.

Do you know Sully, for someone who's supposed to be a moderator on this board, you don't half have a habit of taking a thread off-topic if you think you're right about something. Drop it, please.

• Advertisement

Do you know Sully, for someone who's supposed to be a moderator on this board, you don't half have a habit of taking a thread off-topic if you think you're right about something. Drop it, please.

Those kinda digs are stupid. I'm posting as a user, the mod hat isn't even on.

We are talking about whether people feel safe in Waterford or not, your saying being English its not that safe. Myself and another user were surprised by this and all I asked was that you give some examples. Fully on topic. If you don't want to, fine. Ill drop it as per your request.

Advertisement