Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use multiple static public IP's on devices on the same network

Options
  • 21-08-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

While I'm quite technical, I don't have much of an idea on how to do what I want.

My setup
    =======
    Smart Telecom business conection with 5 static public IP addresses
    Endian firewall [Linux based] with one static IP on the Red zone
    Multiple computers on the network

What I want to do
    ==============
    Assign one of the free IP addresses to a computer within our network so we can directly access it over the internet. The function of the computer is not important, it could be a web server, VPN server, FTP server etc.

I'm just looking for pointers on how to set this up.

I was thinking of just configuring the computer with a static ip address and see if it works. However, I don't see how this could get in through the firewall.

I could possibly put it in the DMZ but again, unsure.

As this point, it's all theory. I haven't actually tried anything yet. I'm just looking for best practice on what I should do.

Hopefully some kind person can point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Why don't you have static nat on the computer that you want to have a public address on - you can place a private IP internally and map it to one of the public ones 1:1 mapping.
    For the rest of the PCs you could use Overloaded/Port based NAT (PAT) on a single public IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Cheers WebMonday. Not 100% sure what you are saying but I am 80%.
    At least you are giving me something to work with, which is a start.

I'll research your ideas and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Small update :

I found some interesting information in the admin manual. Don't have time to try it now but I'll give it ago tomorrow.

Cheers again WM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

If this server is going to be accessed from outside, then you should have it in a DMZ. Ideally you don't want an externally-accessible server having full access in to your LAN.

How you set this up will depend on your firewall - you could either have a private IP on the server and DNAT in to it from one of the external IPs, or assign the server one of the public IPs and bridge in to it (still firewall it of course!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement