Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to work (30mins)-what to wear on legs?

Options
  • 21-08-2008 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got back in the saddle today, cycled to work which took about 30mins. I wore tracksuit pants. (and dryfit t-shirt, and cycling shoes, had a )
    What's the best thing to wear on lower body? Proper cycling trousers, shorts etc?
    Proper cycling trousers appeal but wouldn't you get hot in them?

Cheers,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I do about 20-30k a day in baggie shorts with bicycle shorts underneath. Might switch to leggings in the cold winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

ditto. (altura) baggies with cycling shorts underneath. In the winter I throw on a pair of leggings.
    Shorts are good until about end october I find.

legs are easy to dry if it rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Lycra cycling shorts are going to be the most cool and comfortable if you are happy to wear them. They are significantly more comfortable without baggy shorts on top BTW, you just have to throw your sense of modesty to the wind and after a few days it will feel normal (you are on a bike after all :D) Not sure why you think you would get warm in them?

In winter I switch to cycling tights- first 3/4 length light lycra ones, then the full fleece-lined ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'd agree with Blorg. Once the cold comes in, I have a pair of heavy lycra full length leggings (that go up over my shoulders too) that I'll wear. They're surprisingly warm in all winter conditions - unless snow starts settling on your thighs - then brushing the snow off sorts you out.
    Another benefit of the full winter leggings is that it's useful for no end of chat and discussion with your work colleagues. I've been likened to a ballerina among other things :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Knee warmers and leg warmers are useful too. They allow you to use your shorts throughout the colder days and save some wear and tear on your nice winter tights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

Lycra cycling shorts are best almost all year round.
    In winter or the pissings of rain, the leggings are best.

I've cycled in the snow with leggings and the shorts over them for added warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Lycra shorts most of the year, very comfy. In winter, I alternate between Gore Windstopper legwarmers (very very comfy) and Altura leggings, depending on laundry days:)

Great thing about both is that if it rains, legs dry easy and leggings/legwarmers don't hold on to the wet, so you stay warm and relatively dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I wear shorts, rain or shine. Anything else is for pansies :D

Seriously though, knee and leg warmers are very handy to have

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I used to wear shorts but now just roll up the drive side of whatever pants im wearing. Sure I look like a tool and its hardly ideal, but its a short commute and I got fed up getting changed all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

My commute is an hour. I'm in tri shorts at the moment but will add a pair of leg warmers when the weather gets colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I have a 10K commute and use bib shorts all year round. I don't really mind the cold on my legs for such a short distance. If I had to go further i'd use some kind of legging.

Just one thing for relatively newbies, the warmth from the fleece, leg warmers, long bib thingies (or your covering of choice) is not just in case you might feel cold. There are real advantages in terms of preventing muscle damage, maximising performance in keeping your legs warm. Obviously the hard core nutters that hang out on this forum pay scant regard to this but if you find yourself constantly twinging things in December it's worth considering ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I wear shorts, rain or shine. Anything else is for pansies :D

Sounds a touch overdressed. Not try a Borat Mankini? :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Just one thing for relatively newbies, the warmth from the fleece, leg warmers, long bib thingies (or your covering of choice) is not just in case you might feel cold. There are real advantages in terms of preventing muscle damage, maximising performance in keeping your legs warm. Obviously the hard core nutters that hang out on this forum pay scant regard to this but if you find yourself constantly twinging things in December it's worth considering ;)

OK. Always thought about it as a comfort thing - had never considered it from a performance/injury perspective. Whilst being a seasoned commuter, i fall squarely in the relative newbie category when it comes to longer distance road cycling - will keep your advice in mind and be prepared for winter training before it starts getting really cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

I wear jeans, when wet I throw a pir off rain bottoms on, I only have a 30minute commute each way.

These ones
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Descente_Coldout_Leg_Warmers/5360031390/
    are 50% off at the moment and I find them great.
    descente-coldout-leg-zoom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Hunnymonster's point about leg injury is a good one, I used to only wear shorts even below zero/snow but tights honestly do work far better at keeping the legs warm and injury free.

I have Descente bib-shorts and a tri suit and they make very good stuff indeed, reckon I will pick up a pair of those leg warmers.

I'll have them over with me on Sunday if you want to see them before buying Blorg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

You can F up your knees as well by riding hard when they are cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I usually wear 3/4 length combats in most conditions. They don't catch on things and they're not made of lycra.
    Real winter requires real trousers though, and I think if I come back to Ireland I'd pick up some tights.
    Good summer weather --> board shorts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

According to no less an authority than Seán Kelly: if it's less than 15 degrees, cover your knees.

Advertisement