Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girly grooming habbits

Options
  • 21-08-2008 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

Following on from the fake tan thread i was thinking about the things that e do trying to make ourselves even more attractive, its a lot of work and a lot of time but do they really make a difference? And what do guys think of them or do they even notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Personally I do them for myself, I couldn't really be arsed thinking about what guys think. Most lads barely notice if you got your hair cut never mind getting your eyebrows and nails done..

Although they always notice when you get your fanjita waxed.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

As a girl whos had the fake nails, fake toes, eyelashes, hair every colour and style under the sun I'd have to say its hard work!!

and i dont think men notice it per se, but they do evaluate you as being high maintenance or not.

I bolster my theory with the fact that anytime i end up out unintentionally, not particularly dressed up, and sometimes even without makeup i'm beating the men off with a stick(well, not quite, but you get my meaning)

Whereas i can go for full on glamour and the men keep away!!

On the whole though, i like to look after myself, and i do it as much for myself as anybody else!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

A lot of the time I would be doing it just to relax myself. As in enjoying the actual task ahead, f.e facials, having my hair done, my nails etc. They're like rituals:)

I especially like wearing makeup, I'm not a raging maniac as in I would never walk out of my home without it. It's more in the way of using any excuse to put it on.

Unless I do something radical with my looks, like for example I have a friend who's a make-up artist and she's basically going mad on me, not many guys actually notice that I wear make up. That in itself is a result ;)

I'm a bit into grooming but not overly so. I have friends who shave/wax their arms???? Why? Well OK, big no no for gorilla-features, but they're fair like me so....:confused:
    Anyone do it here? Am I missing something? Do guys have a thing for arm hair?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

If I spend time on myself its FOR myself, if my guy notices, all the better, if he doesn't, then I guess he must just think I look nice all the time :D

As a girl whos had the fake nails, fake toes, eyelashes, hair every colour and style under the sun I'd have to say its hard work!!

and i dont think men notice it per se, but they do evaluate you as being high maintenance or not.

I bolster my theory with the fact that anytime i end up out unintentionally, not particularly dressed up, and sometimes even without makeup i'm beating the men off with a stick(well, not quite, but you get my meaning)

Whereas i can go for full on glamour and the men keep away!!

On the whole though, i like to look after myself, and i do it as much for myself as anybody else!!

Woah that is extreme :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I think the law of diminishing returns applies big time to grooming for me. I might spend 20 minutes doing my hair (ie brushing) and putting on a little bit of make up - and i don't really look all that different from if i'd spent an hour and 20 minutes at it. Sure, my eye make up would be ready for a camera close up, but to the average observer there's no difference.

For me grooming is the armour for day to day life, the bit extra that goes beyond the politeness of basic hygiene. For the battle of a job interview, big event, etc i'll put on more armour - for the rest of it it'll be the minimium i need, don't want to be weighed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

I would probably spend more time on my hair than anything else. Without my dryer & GHD I look like Simba.

I do think that your hair makes a huge difference to how you look and feel but thats probably only me as I don't usually look like I just stepped out of a salon with a quick toss after the shower. (toss of the hair I mean):eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Meh if I don't tackle my hair everyday I'd have birds nesting in it by 4pm.
    As for shaving waxing etc... I do it whether I'm single or attached so its not done for anyone other then myself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

sometimes i put body lotion on after i have a shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

Same Ginny, cant stand having any body hair, anywhere, at all !!! Euw!!!:p

• Advertisement

as in gel toe nails:D

as in gel toe nails:D

Hehe thought so, don't mind me in a giddy mood! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I do it for me. I like to be well presented and turned out. On Wednesday afternoon I locked myself in the bathroom and had a bath, big exfoliation, did my nails, dried my hair properly! Stayed in for the evening and jsut felt good about myself :)

yeah, though i must admit i go through phases.... periodsof being super maintained, buffed, tanned,co-ordinated etc, and periods of waywardness.

I do of course always maintain a hygiene standard tho:D, but sometimes its nice to not wear make-up and bum around in a tracksuit for the day!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"Viva la difference" between females and males! I like the difference, but it is a pain sometimes being dark brunette, when a naturally blond friend of mine can sometimes get away skipping a shaving day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

It's nice to see this thread. When I posted over in AH a few weeks ago about tanning and make up and making an effort I was accused of being both narcissistic and horribly insecure at the same time by the lads over there! My personal favourite, which will always stand out - "you're the female version of a comb over - lying to yourself and everyone can see it but you"!!!! I think was the comment. Got a great laugh out of that one!!

Anyway, I constantly shave/wax even when I'm not in a relationship and it's the middle of winter, so it's definitely not for anyone else. And I've often pampered myself with a new hair do, a tan and a de-hairing and just stayed for the night but felt really nice too. Glad to hear there are others out there who make an effort to genuinely feel good for THEMSELVES and not for guys/others, as most will accuse you of if you admit to looking after yourself and indulging in hair dye/tan etc

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I used to be good with my appearance, now I couldn't be that bothered. I'd love to be, I really would, but its sheer laziness in the morning. At night I say, tomorrow I'll put make up on and straighten my hair etc, but it just doesn't happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SarahJ wrote: »
    I used to be good with my appearance, now I couldn't be that bothered. I'd love to be, I really would, but its sheer laziness in the morning. At night I say, tomorrow I'll put make up on and straighten my hair etc, but it just doesn't happen.

It's just a habit that you get into imo, I used never wear makeup during the day then got into it as a habit a few months.

I love going for facials, just for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

The girl (25) I just started (re)seeing gets her nails and eyelashes done once a month. She's not even a girly girl either. But she likes them and thinks they make her look more whatever is girls want to look. TBH they do nothing for me.

I am so bad when it comes to hair and makeup, and non hygenie related fussing.
    I lose my attention span after 2 minutes, tbh I'm better off not wearing make up. Because sometimes I make myself look like I dipped my head in all the pots!
    I so bad that somedays I don't even brush my hair. :o
    I don't mind having hairy legs, I'd much rather have soft hair than shaving stubble. So I wax.

I'm trying to make more of an effort recently.
    But I'm just not particularly appearance orientated...and it is difficult to keep it in mind to do things like moisturise.

Why do the rest of you do?
    Do you devote an evening once a week to grooming?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Moonbaby wrote: »

Pretty much, usually a Sunday evening lol :) and top up during the week :) Takes about 10 minutes every morning to put makeup on.

Have my hair cut every four weeks as it's very short and needs to be cut that often.

Facials occasionally, I don't do fake tan as I'm very very pale and I'd look ridiculous (and have, plus I'm allergic to most fake tans)

I do however carry half of boots about in my handbag, and have even more stuff in my desk in work just in case lol:D

nouggatti wrote: »
    Pretty much, usually a Sunday evening lol :) and top up during the week :) Takes about 10 minutes every morning to put makeup on.

Have my hair cut every four weeks as it's very short and needs to be cut that often.

Facials occasionally, I don't do fake tan as I'm very very pale and I'd look ridiculous (and have, plus I'm allergic to most fake tans)

I do however carry half of boots about in my handbag, and have even more stuff in my desk in work just in case lol:D

So that is why I can't find a handbag smaller than a body bag in the shops! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I honestly don't think I've ever really noticed if a girl's hair was shiny or if her skin was well exfoliated, tbh.

But the flip-side of that is we would definitely notice if ye looked a mess.

So... eh, keep it up, I guess.

So that is why I can't find a handbag smaller than a body bag in the shops! :D

lolol:D

I do find that I feel more confident if I am feel confident that I am as well groomed as I can be :) It's sheer habit at this stage, I'd not be in any way perfect now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I'm in a long-distance relationship for the summer (we go to the same college but he's from the north) and I've found im slacking off a bit on the shaving legs etc... not the eyebrows or anythin... just the legs and all...still give them the once over now and again but not the religious shaving of previous months...

I am so bad when it comes to hair and makeup, and non hygenie related fussing.
    I lose my attention span after 2 minutes, tbh I'm better off not wearing make up. Because sometimes I make myself look like I dipped my head in all the pots!
    I so bad that somedays I don't even brush my hair. :o
    I don't mind having hairy legs, I'd much rather have soft hair than shaving stubble. So I wax.

I'm trying to make more of an effort recently.
    But I'm just not particularly appearance orientated...and it is difficult to keep it in mind to do things like moisturise.

I try to....and some times im very very good, and sometimes im very very bad.....a bit like goldilocks!!

dont have the nails and the lashes on at the mo as am diving a lot these times, hence not bothering with the tan much either. on the plus side my skins in tip top condition from it!!

Ima self confessed cosmetics junkie and get the hair cut a fair bit, facials, waxing, that sort of thing.

i could do with being a bit more dedicated tho, but its hard to find the time!! trying very hard to moisturise after every shower, its just so bloody good for the skin!!

i could do with being a bit more dedicated tho, but its hard to find the time!! trying very hard to moisturise after every shower, its just so bloody good for the skin!!

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Its seriously hard to find the time-esp being a single mum if i get a window of non working baby sitting time i do not want to spend all my time making myself 'presentable'. As long as you have hygeine standards what does it matter?

I am fond of the ghd though but it wrecks hair so i try to stay away, i epilate my underarms and immac the legs because i hate the stubble shaving leaves you with and my skin is very senstive but i hate the mess of imaac!!! I don't really have a schedule i just sort of grab a few mins here and there and try, i guess i try and pile as much into shower time as possible but i totally wonder is it worth it. Funny when i used to go out in jeans and runners and no make up guys would always say you look great but when i started doing that more often i would always hear you look awful-are you sick?

Variety is the spice of life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I like to take care of my nails, although if I am doing a lot of horse riding than that goes out the window!

I always moisturise and use stuff for my under eyes. I like make up and will put it on if I am going out but I just couldn't be bothered for every day.

I would love to just go away and get a facial and a hot stone massage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tobiesheba

I admit that sometimes I find it hard to find the energy to keep every part of me hair free, soft and smooth but once I'm plucked/waxed/mosturised I feel so much better in my self.

Advertisement