Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girly grooming habbits

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I shave the pins once a week in the shower, spend about 4 mins doing make-up, maybe a bit more if I'm going out and trying to put on eye-shadow...a skill that has eluded me for many a year. Sometimes, just sometimes, I get the right eye perfect and then despair when I realise the left eye will not end up matching it :(

I should try getting make-up done properly sometime. But hate people touching my face. Never had a facial or nails or massage or any of that spa stuff. Worst nightmare!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Meh I don't bother devoting a whole night to it, when I get out of the shower I moisturise, every now and again i use some tan maintainer for a boost as I have sallow skin normally.
    I do look after my feet though and try and moisturise them every second night going to bed.
    I don't bother with nails at all, every now and again I'll bother doing something with them but not religiously.
    I have dyed my eyelashes before, but i nearly blinded myself in the process so I don't bother now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I hate to rain on y'all parade but I have to confess that this thread is pure comedy gold. Unintentional, but still funny. Ladies, yiz are all self-delusional - especially when you say that all the grooming is "just for myself".

Beneath the veneer of sophistication and rational thought it is always worth remembering that we are animals and that a lot of our behaviour, such as grooming, is purely instinctive and all part of Nature's way of helping to maximise your chances of sexual selection. Nothing wrong in admitting that, but I guess that it would take a particularly self-aware woman to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

Gyalist wrote: »
    I hate to rain on y'all parade but I have to confess that this thread is pure comedy gold. Unintentional, but still funny. Ladies, yiz are all self-delusional - especially when you say that all the grooming is "just for myself".

Beneath the veneer of sophistication and rational thought it is always worth remembering that we are animals and that a lot of our behaviour, such as grooming, is purely instinctive and all part of Nature's way of helping to maximise your chances of sexual selection. Nothing wrong in admitting that, but I guess that it would take a particularly self-aware woman to do so.

Ahem. A lot of it in fact isn't.
    I'm sick in bed at the moment. Haven't had the energy to get up, do anything with my hair, I've got a reaction to the penicillin around my eyes which means they're slightly red.... I havent shaved my legs for a few days... and I feel AWFUL. I can't wait to get better, groom myself and then look at the mirror and go YES, that's by baby. Sorry to burst your bubble in thinking we do this for yez lads. Some of it maybe is instinct on some level. However, a lot of us just do it out of vanity and because we actually love ourselves when groomed so much more than when not!

Curly, don't bother Gyalist is just looking for a reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Its the same as guys assuming we buy nice underwear to get them going. It would never occur to them that its nice and makes us feel good by wearing something fancy underneath whether someone is going to see it or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Or a woman particularly well-read in evolutionary biology. What's your point? If it's instinctual the best way to explain it is that it makes you feel better, you do it for yourself. The by-product being it makes you more attractive to the other sex.

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Curly, don't bother Gyalist is just looking for a reaction.

Duh, isn't the entire raison d'être of message boards to generate discussion or would you just rather have a girlie pity party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

LolaDub wrote: »
    Its the same as guys assuming we buy nice underwear to get them going. It would never occur to them that its nice and makes us feel good by wearing something fancy underneath whether someone is going to see it or not!

I think unfortunately this fallacy stems from all the other women who do only wear fancy undies to impress a lad and plain cotton the rest of the time, a case of stereotyping as a result.

But as to the grooming solely to impress members of the opposite gender, for the most part it probably is true of both genders whether on a conscious level or not, but at the same time the fact that people will do things in spite of their partner not liking it shows that it is not the final decider in these matters. Heck the fake tan is a perfect example, with so many lads disliking it and yet the ladies do it and convince themselves it's not obvious so we must assume that it is not to impress the males, possibly to impress the females (not in a sexual sense but rather a competitive grooming sense), but that's a whole other issue.

Feeling good about yourself is infectious and subconsciously makes you more attractive to others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

farohar wrote: »
    I think unfortunately this fallacy stems from all the other women who do only wear fancy undies to impress a lad and plain cotton the rest of the time, a case of stereotyping as a result.

But as to the grooming solely to impress members of the opposite gender, for the most part it probably is true of both genders whether on a conscious level or not, but at the same time the fact that people will do things in spite of their partner not liking it shows that it is not the final decider in these matters. Heck the fake tan is a perfect example, with so many lads disliking it and yet the ladies do it and convince themselves it's not obvious so we must assume that it is not to impress the males, possibly to impress the females (not in a sexual sense but rather a competitive grooming sense), but that's a whole other issue.

You know what Farohar, I agree with you on this one (shock horror).

And if I put on great clothes and do my hair and make up and look dazzling, then I go out on a date with myself.... well maybe on a primary level that's to attract male attention (which I, mid-me-time will not really take any notice of) but I feel a helluva lot better than if I hadn't gone through the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

I love spending a hour or so on my grooming once a week - I have the "big shower" where I put a treatment in my hair and defuzz.
    Then the tan goes on in preparation for w/end and spend a good while drying my hair properly.
    I always feel better after my intensive grooming session :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I am so bad when it comes to hair and makeup, and non hygenie related fussing.
    I lose my attention span after 2 minutes, tbh I'm better off not wearing make up. Because sometimes I make myself look like I dipped my head in all the pots!
    I so bad that somedays I don't even brush my hair. :o
    I don't mind having hairy legs, I'd much rather have soft hair than shaving stubble. So I wax.

QFT

i think life is too short for the grooming things and i would never have an evening free to all those things, you are talking about

i am confident enough in myself to know i am perfect and natural looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

What about curly hair or straight hair?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

What about curly hair or straight hair?

what about it?

i have curly hair and i love it not to keen on the auld straight hair myself

Duh, isn't the entire raison d'être of message boards to generate discussion or would you just rather have a girlie pity party.
    Bless.
    I would assume the point of boards is for people to have adult discussions, rather then call a range of posters self delusional and make assumptions about their self awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ha, im brutal at this. if i have work, then i do brush my hair, wash it every other day, and put on a lil eyeliner. im probably better at looking after my piercings, which currently require a saltwater soak every two days, and a lil moisturiser at the moment. on weekends, i only get eyeliner on if im not surfing and going out too, and generally dont get round to brushing my hair after friday morning until monday morning. currently contemplating dreads, after growing it out for a bit... not sure though. now *they* would be maintenance... and im not sure im ready for the commitment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm sure I'd make more effort for the man in my life....uh...if I had one.

I'm terrible with hair. Mine's curly so I usually jsut throw in some mousse. Some days I'll whip out the straightener, but that takes time and effort!

I'm off to paint my nails :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

well i had long curliesh hair with no layers.
    came home today with striaght shorter hair with loads of layers and no one noticed at all.
    seems people dont notice that much after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I'm a girly girl when it comes to grooming. I always have makeup on, hair presentable, etc. I just don't feel right without it, so it sure makes a difference in my mind. Who gives a crap if anyone else notices? Gyalist might have a point that deep-down it's all about evolutionary bs, but then everything everyone has written on boards is subject to the same sort of evolutionary analysis, and that gets boring tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement