Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on accomidation needed!!!

Options
  • 21-08-2008 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

ive got my course now in dit (media arts) but am totally at a loss on what to do about accomidation. i dont know dublin too well and have only 1 friend going to dit with me. can anyone tell me where to start or advise me on where to go? g.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 theirishrover

and ill love you for forever and a day if ya help me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

What kind of accomodation are you seeking? Where are you based?

I'm doing media arts too by the way :)

oh yeah? deadly!

im from tipp, looking for a student village or summin where everyone else will be just as lost as me and where i can meet people and all that jazz

good location near sports facilities ect would be nice

Your bes bet is to give DIT a call surely?

I'll be travelling from Blessington most days, its right on the bus route for me.

Have you applied for a grant?

no, d'ya think id be viable for 1?

• Advertisement

Well worth looking into, I dunno whether or not its too late though.

Anyway get your skates on, i'll probably see ya in a few weeks! Let us know how ya get on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

daft.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

DIT were reccomending the gasworks in a text message they sent out, is there still spaces there?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hi Irishrover,

Have a look at the info on this page http://www.dit.ie/campuslife/studentsupport/accommodation/
    and on http://www.findahome.ie/ (DIT password is "pembroke").

There's still accommodation left in Griffith and Herberton (Chubb Properties), both of which have been block-booked for DIT students, and they're on the Southside, convenient for Aungier St (which is where I think you'll be based for Media Arts??)

Also have a look on the students' union website www.ditsu.ie

The word is there's more accommodation available this year than last year, but you should come up to Dublin soon to check out accommodation available. Daft.ie is a good site, and the Evening Herald is still good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jeveuxtevoir

Hi I'm doing architecture in Bolton Street, and just booked a room in Herberton, with Chubb properties. as far i know theres still places left and they have reserved loads of appartments just for DIT students so there shud be a good student atmosphere there. plus its right on the luas red line which will bring u into town and thats dead handy

• Advertisement

hey people, thanks for the advice, ive booked a room in herberton, but for a single room only. they say theyll offer me a shared room if theres no singles but to b honest that doesnt sound great. can anyone tell me how that (double room) could possibly work? seems like a total lack of private space....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jeveuxtevoir

Yeh thats what I thought, and my parents actually agreed and were generous enough to pay for both the beds in a double room so i have it to myself... sounds kind of greedy but avoids the whole lack of privacy thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭claret

Yeh thats what I thought, and my parents actually agreed and were generous enough to pay for both the beds in a double room so i have it to myself... sounds kind of greedy but avoids the whole lack of privacy thing
    Nice parents! I'm in the same boat as you theirishrover, hopefully i'll get a single, fingers crossed anyway

yeah, lucky you! id do the same if i cud, id say most people would... i dunno what ill do if i dont get the single, guess a private appartment or summin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Johnny88

Anywhere on the 19 or 19A bus routes goes right past the front entrance of Aungier street; city centre, Phibsboro, Botanic Road, Ballymum road, Glasnevin, North Circular Road, South Circular Road, Harold's Cross, Portobello, Dolphin's Barn...all those places vary from being perfect (South Circular, City Centre) to acceptable (Ballymum Road, Glasnevin) for Media Arts students in terms of commuting distances. It also depends on what sort of accommodation you're looking for; if you don't want digs but can't afford to get a decent place on your own then finding somewhere to crash for the first week or so isn't as crazy an option as you might think- it's far easier to get a place when you can actually stay in the area for a few days and look at your (relative) leisure. Also it gives you a chance to meet classmates in similar situations. Chances are when you meet the student's union on the first day they'll go "hands up if you don't have somewhere to live!"

It's an absolute bitch and probably the worst single thing to DIT's name, the lack of a dedicated accommodation place for it's students compared to say, UL, which has been around for less time I believe but has a comparatively brilliant accommodation. Here you'll get the usual stuff about block-booked sharing rooms in some apartment complex where the private residents don't want you around or the brilliant new campus that's going to be ready for the incoming first years of September 2084. But you're definitely not alone if that's any comfort, I only got myself sorted earlier this week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

Johnny88 wrote: »
    It's an absolute bitch and probably the worst single thing to DIT's name, the lack of a dedicated accommodation place for it's students compared to say, UL, .

Wells thats kind of an unfair comparison.:eek:
    Limerick is a ****hole.The city that is, UL is pleasant enough. But Bejasus man.Its like comparing my average overpriced Ikea sofa with an average priced toilet.Its still a ****in toilet!!;)

At least they are improving.The Gas Works was a good coup last year.And with a falling market for property I'm sure they will take full advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Didnt the Gasworks fall through? Some big mix up and those apartments were never meant for students, woops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭elementalwater

There are 40 bed spaces still available in Griffith College Residence, block booked for DIT Students.

Contact Aimee O'Callaghan on 01 402 4510 or email studentaffairs@ditsu.ie for more information.

Advertisement