Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rideshare boards?

Options
  • 21-08-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Okay, my lazy googling hasn't given me much of a useful answer (though it gave me a lot of not-very-well-trafficked sites). Are there any decently well-used rideshare boards for Ireland? Or has that not quite come to be yet?

I'm looking more for one-off trips (ie the digital equiv to hitch-hiking) rather than daily commuter carpool organizing. I used the rideshare section of craigslist a good bit in the states, but haven't found an equiv here yet. Well, besides the good-old analog form of hitching, which is still much easier here than stateside.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What's rideshare pray tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

There was a request for such a forum here a while back iirc. Maybe give it a bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

kraggy wrote: »
    I presume it's grabbing one-off lifts in people's cars. Unless it's the other definition of ridesharing like I saw in a movie once? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

kraggy wrote: »

It really is like online hitchhiking. Someone would post either offering ride "I'm going down to Cork on this Friday after work, coming back on Sunday." or looking for one "Anyone going down to Cork this weekend and I could catch a ride?" Generally the person getting a lift offers some gas money to the person giving one.

I, for instance, am going to a festival (flat lake festival in Monaghan) this weekend. Most the folks I'm meeting are leaving from Sligo, I'm gong to be leaving from here. So instead of my plan of train to bus to hitchhike, tis would be much simpler for me to find someone else going and catch a ride ;) A lot of times festivals will actually have their own rideshare boards on the website, this one doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Sherifu wrote: »
    There was a request for such a forum here a while back iirc. Maybe give it a bump.

That's a good call, they'd be well situated to expand into rideshare boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

tristanc wrote: »
    That's a good call, they'd be well situated to expand into rideshare boards.

A stickied rideshare thread on the Galway forum would be a great start, it might even work better than a stand-alone rideshare forum as the Galwegian requests would probably get lost among the noise. I'd be willing to provide the odd lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

cornbb wrote: »
    A stickied rideshare thread on the Galway forum would be a great start
    I agree with this. It would give everyone an idea of just how much activity a forum could expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

biko wrote: »
    That's the one I was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

looking to rideshare to westport tomorrow mornin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

tristanc wrote: »
    Okay, my lazy googling hasn't given me much of a useful answer (though it gave me a lot of not-very-well-trafficked sites). Are there any decently well-used rideshare boards for Ireland? Or has that not quite come to be yet?

I'm looking more for one-off trips (ie the digital equiv to hitch-hiking) rather than daily commuter carpool organizing. I used the rideshare section of craigslist a good bit in the states, but haven't found an equiv here yet. Well, besides the good-old analog form of hitching, which is still much easier here than stateside.

i found a couple for you. but they dont seem so big, but hey everything has too start from somewhere theres

http://www.carpoolworld.com/?gclid=CIvZ6o7rn5UCFQ9WtAodMXPEZA

which seems too be dublin but not sure if galway is covered.
    and
    http://www.erideshare.com/carpool.php?dstate=Ireland

that one did have some requests for galway.

got too say its a new one on me, but i for one will be looking on boards when i plan a trip now, better for the enviorment and all..

oh speaking of which off topic but just too clue anyone in
    www.freecycle.org

is a wonderful site i used a lot in the u.k not so big here, but should be
    it offers things for free,, as in anything from hardcore rubble to a car and i did actually have a car from it last year in london..
    its a recycling tool too offer something one person no longer wants to anyone else.
    check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

just found this as well..
    which maybe of some help in the future

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/19/26968819.html

i also think gumtree should have a galway site as well as dublin and cork..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

A ride share thread is a fantastic idea - maybe even sticky it?

I'm based in Dublin and I'm driving home from Dub city centre on Monday afternoon (around 4pm) if anyone's interested in a lift as far as Oran

Advertisement