Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a bit of advice about test

Options
  • 21-08-2008 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

My husband has done three tests since January and failed all three. He has had about 30 hours of lessons from about a month before the first test and he had about 15 hours of lessons when he first started driving. I don't think there is any point in him going back to any of the instructors he has used, I'm not sure if there is any point in him taking ordinary lessons as they just don't seem to be doing the trick. I can't comment on his driving when I am out with him as he doesn't take it very well from me. I feel that is road positioning is very shaky and his cornering amateur and I am surprised that the instructors he has had have not made him see this.

Does anyone know of some sort of intensive driving course or really fantastic instructor in the Navan area, someone that will really tell him where he is going wrong. Or does anyone have any other ideas for some way to get him driving well enough to pass the test. If he doesn't pass this time I think he is going to give up and since we live in a fairly rural area it will be quite the pain if we can't get him back out on the road.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the instructors that he has had have all been full permit holders, I know they have good results with most of their students. He is a slightly clumsy akward sort of person even when not behind the wheel which I think leaves him at a disadvantage when driving.

He is a perfectly safe driver for normal situations, but he doesn't make one feel very comfortable as a passenger - which is crutial when sitting a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bumblebee0207

I had my pre test driving lesson today. I find my instructor sound and reasonably good. I got his name from here from people who passed and recommended him. Please pm me to get his details. BTW he leaves in Navan, so might be handy for you.

OMG, im all over the place, just realize in my 2 years of driving, i have some many bad habits, but considered safe driver though, well... too safe. Hesitated couple of times moving off, tends to double check my mirror too often! I guess thats what a lady driver is, too cautious, damn too nervous on the road as well.

Does anyone advise how many lesson needed before the test?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I failed the test four times and eventually got it the fifth - it's essential he doesn't give up, because then even the bad instruction hours are going to waste. You've already identified road positioning and cornering as two of his problems, has he any other major or minor ones? Both of them are big ones - make a mistake in a recurring way or a serious way once and it's game over unfortunately.

When I did the test and failed, the common thing in all of them was that I was on edge and worried about the whole thing. That directly made me clumsy and inclined to feel hurried. So I made plenty of silly mistakes, that a normally clumsy person like myself when I'm not in a car shouldn't have been making.

What did seem to clinch it when I passed was a much more relaxed attitude to the whole thing (sure I'd done it loads of times by then) which meant a much more relaxed, smooth and comfortable drive for the tester.

Personally I'd get a lesson on the morning of the test. Just to keep things sharp and give you a run-down of the test route.

• Advertisement
Advertisement