Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning shoes too small?

Options
  • 21-08-2008 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi,

Bought a pair of shoes in Schuh last week. Wore them this morning for 1 hour and they were WAY too tight, ended up giving me blisters in that short time. I took them off straight away and put them into the box. Problem is, they have some wear and tear on the soles!!

Am I pretty much screwed on this one, or have I any chance of an exchange do you guys reckon? I have the receipt and all original packaging.

Don't wanna go into the shop and be made a fool of when they say "THESE WERE WORN!!! NO REFUND!!!"

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Enda89 wrote: »
    Hi,

Bought a pair of shoes in Schuh last week. Wore them this morning for 1 hour and they were WAY too tight, ended up giving me blisters in that short time. I took them off straight away and put them into the box. Problem is, they have some wear and tear on the soles!!

Am I pretty much screwed on this one, or have I any chance of an exchange do you guys reckon? I have the receipt and all original packaging.

Don't wanna go into the shop and be made a fool of when they say "THESE WERE WORN!!! NO REFUND!!!"

Legally they technically don't have to do anything, but it would be a very rare shoe shop which will not exchange a pair of shoes in a resellable condition (as it sounds yours are) for a different size.

EDIT- Sorry, I must be tired, didnt see about the wear and tear.

You will probably not get any come back if the shoes are resellable as it would be a dead loss to the company.

That said, if you dont ask you wont get, so go into them and see.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you had a chance to try them in the shop, Id say youre screwed. If they were pristine, then its usually ok, but look at it from the shops point of view, they cant resell scuffed shoes, so why take them back? The law is on their side, the shoes arent faulty, just unsuitable for you, and that was your mistake.

You could bring them to a cobbler and have them stretched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

Oryx wrote: »
    If you had a chance to try them in the shop, Id say youre screwed. If they were pristine, then its usually ok, but look at it from the shops point of view, they cant resell scuffed shoes, so why take them back? The law is on their side, the shoes arent faulty, just unsuitable for you, and that was your mistake.

You could bring them to a cobbler and have them stretched.

Hardly worth it, they were only 40 quid. It's not a monumental loss, but annoying all the same. I think i'll drop by tomorrow early when they're just open (spare the whole shop staring at me) and see what they say. If they say no then fair enough I'll just buy the next size up and try and flog these ones on ebay or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

Nope, you don't have a case. It's not their fault you bought shoes that were too small. Happens to me all the time, it's annoying, but it isn't the shop's fault. Once you've worn them outside, they're yours. I mean, would you like to buy shoes some bloke had worn outside the shop? You can always sell them on ebay, they should sell if they're barely worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Schuh are surprisingly lenient and will refund stuff willingly up to a year (I've heard recently- 3 years? Seems stupid though) after it was bought, so I can't imagine them kicking up a fuss anyway. They may be re-saleable in a sale, I've seen a lot of battered shoes in their sale. Try it, explain nicely, you might get a credit note if not a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Selling items to consumers requires that the retailer ensures that goods be fit for the purpose for which they are being bought. - this includes sizing. So if you cannot or are not permitted to try on an item of clothing before purchasing, you have every right to return them and exchange them for the correct size or get a refund.

This is primarily why shops will usually have a no-quibble returns policy on stuff that's the wrong size.

It should be possible to clean up any scuffing on the shoes, unless they've been very visibly scratched or worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

seamus wrote: »
    Selling items to consumers requires that the retailer ensures that goods be fit for the purpose for which they are being bought. - this includes sizing. So if you cannot or are not permitted to try on an item of clothing before purchasing, you have every right to return them and exchange them for the correct size or get a refund.

This is primarily why shops will usually have a no-quibble returns policy on stuff that's the wrong size.

It should be possible to clean up any scuffing on the shoes, unless they've been very visibly scratched or worn.

This only exists in relation to distance selling, if you buy something in a shop you,would have to prove that that the item was mis-discribed, not just ill fitting. Also the item would have to be in perfect condition.

Other wise I would wear every deisgner item i could get my hands on, out for the night and try to return it the next day, as most ready to wear size 12s are closer to age 12 in size!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

seamus wrote: »

i don't think that's right. The law isn't that something should be fit for the purpose it's being bought, it should be fit for the purpose for which it was designed. These shoes were designed to be a certain size and they are that size, they are as described. It's not the shops fault if someone buys a product and then trys to use it for a purpose that it was never meant for, such as making ice cream with a toaster or fitting a different sized foot

you say it's the shops responsibility to make sure they fit but the only way they could fulfil that responsibility is to refuse to sell the shoes until he puts them on and walks around for a while and makes doubly sure

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

They shouldn't have to change them....its up to the customer to decide if they fit before they wear them outside( try them on carpet so the soles don't mark etc). I don't think any of us would be too happy buying shoes if we knew that someone else had worn them out around the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I doubt you'd have a legal comeback (don't you know your own shoe size??), but you've nothing to lose by going in and asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

Adverts.ie is your friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 star-bright

it's your responsibility to ensure that the shoes fit you before wearing them. i've worked in shoe shops before people are always trying to bring worn items back saying the shoes are the wrong size but if they've been worn the shop does not have to take them back, unless they're faulty, especially if you are able to try them on in the shop. in my experience its easy to tell the difference between shoes that have been worn and shoes that have been tried on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well OP, what was the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Well OP, what was the story?

dont be pushing the OP, try walking in her shoes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

^^^^ it's he :rolleyes:

and yeah I brought them back to schuh last week and they were fairly sound about it. Manager came over and just took a quick glance at them, then offered a credit note. I just took the next size up because I still wanted the shoes after all that!

Worked out in the end :)

Advertisement