Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle shops

Options
  • 21-08-2008 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Is there a list of cycle shops knocking around somewhere, I trawled the wiki and bar a few references to items to be purchased online I cant seem to find one.
    Is discussion of shops allowed on here? I was going to ask for recommendations of shops in dublin.

Ive a good idea of what Im looking for from reading on here but want to go out and get on a few bikes before making a decision.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

No ratings/opinions on them, but it's a list...

http://www.goldenpages.ie/search/dublin/bicycle.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

thumpybum wrote: »
    Is there a list of cycle shops knocking around somewhere, I trawled the wiki and bar a few references to items to be purchased online I cant seem to find one.
    Is discussion of shops allowed on here? I was going to ask for recommendations of shops in dublin.

Ive a good idea of what Im looking for from reading on here but want to go out and get on a few bikes before making a decision.

You can discuss anything you want on here!

For shops, I've used the following and have had no bad experiences yet (though others may have)

Cycleogical on the Quays -tend to be expensive, but you can usually get a couple of quid off if you get talkin to them
    Cycleways (Parnell St) -depends on who serves you, some sound guys, some eejits -can be hit and miss, but not too bad selection and prices are ok for city centre
    Penny Farthing on Camden St -decent selection of BBB stuff (cheap tools and the like), ambivalent staff.
    Mac Donalds Cycles on Wicklow St -not a large selection, pretty sound guys in there
    Joe Daly's Dundrum (near the LUAS Bridge) -not bad selection, Joe's a living legend and will keep you right
    Cyclesuperstore Tallaght -good selection of kit, including plenty of high end. Staff pretty helpful, but will try to sell you a LaPierre (they're main dealers, though note that there's nothing wrong with LaPierre!) -decent prices on Assos Clothing, Tyres and Shimano Drivetrain stuff (comparable to online)
    Eurocycles on South William Street -not really been in, but a boardsie works there, so it must be good (and no, it's not kona!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

My tuppunce worth, for what its worth.
    Cycleogical - most unfriendly shop of any description that I have been in. They really dont want your money. I think that they like hanging around bikes, because they sure as hell dont seem to like selling bikes or bike parts IMHO.
    Cycleways - concur with Tiny. Some guys nice and helpful others not. But good selection. The 'nice' guys have been very helpful to me. Some of the staff are really young - so I think that they may lack experience in retailing (and bikes?).
    Joe Daly - went there for 1st time a few weeks ago. Very nice people. Helpful. But not a great selection I found.
    CycleSuperstore. - Have found them to be busy, so you need to wait if you need advice. But the folks in there I found to be very helpful. Thy even went as far as helping me install a car rack. Great selection of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

2 more

Wheelworx - Rob knows his stuff. Will carry out small repairs for free. Good selection of bikes.
    Commuting Solutions - Good shop with late opening hours. Not a huge selection of bikes but good selection of parts/accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Commuting Solutions: Not very help, overpriced. A friend had the wrong cassette fitted this year by them this year just before doing the W200, it was a flats/high speed cassette, needless to say he suffered on the climbs that day!
    Cycleways: Same as above. I hear you get better service if you go in at off peak times. Early weekday mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Cycleogical are tricky all right. My first impression was they were not interested in me (aww!) and that I was taking up space in their shop. However once you go in and sound like you know what you want they are quite helpful, just be very straightforward and sound like you know what you are on about (I memorized all the cycling buzz words before heading in, spewed it out in one sentence!)

Cyclesuperstore is good.

Joe Daly in Dundrum - wanted very badly to give them the business but in the end had to resort to wiggle, still its a great shop, very nice to deal with and have some cracking felt and trek racers in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Eurocycles were kind and trusting enough to let me borrow their tools to release my bike from some eejit who'd locked their POS bike through my frame. Can't thank them enough for that! Four or five nice bikes in there so not a huge selection in terms of interesting stuff and exotica.

Cycleogical are grand I suppose, a huge selection but they seem a bit high and mighty.

Penny Farthing Cycles ripped me off and I hate them as a result.

Joe Daly's is my favourite I reckon. Great, friendly service and Joe's son David is very knowledgeable. I actually just dropped my CV in there this afternoon. It'd be deadly to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Cyclesuperstore - one of the best things I can say about them is that one of the lads there stopped me buying a new cassette one day and made me go away and think about what I really needed. I still ended up getting it (from er... CRC) but it really made me think carefully about my gearing and look closely at the differences. Guy who sold me my bike and a couple of others always remember me. A rarity sometimes in this town.

Penny farthing - shower of canutes - i just don't like them

Cycleways - grand enough and usually helpful. Go there to browse a lot when waiting for a film to start at cineworld.

Cyclogical - up their own holes and think they're superior beings to most who walk through the door but will be helpful if you stand your ground and know what you're talking about. No way to run a business but there you go. Sort of the bike equivalent of the record shop in High Fidelity but they're mostly the Jack Black character.

McDonalds, Rathgar - Old school LBS basic at times but very good.

McDonalds, Wexford St. - varying experiences - grand enough.

The shop formerly known as Commuting Solutions on the Rathmines Road - can't remember what the new name is but before and after the seeming change of ownership helpful both in person and on the phone. Not as cheap as some but they're a small shop.

Joe Daly's is fab - never bought anything there but I have a tenuous connection to the shop which I want to take advantage of at some stage ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wheelworx, often have great sales so you might get a bargain, Rob is very knowledgeable, good store. Sell a lot of triathlon gear too if that's your thing
    Little Sport, Fairview. Great for buying bits n’ pieces and the mechanic is great. Alex I think. Loads of 2nd hand bikes for sale
    City Cycles, Fariview. overpriced and had a bad experience on a repair. Would never deal with them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

fish-head wrote: »
    Joe Daly's is my favourite I reckon. Great, friendly service and Joe's son David is very knowledgeable. I actually just dropped my CV in there this afternoon. It'd be deadly to work there.

Cool, I'd be in pestering all the time for free stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Another vote for Joe Daly's, just dropped two bikes in there this afternoon (fish-head saw me struggling up the hill with them and kindly offered me a lift!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

blorg wrote: »
    Another vote for Joe Daly's, just dropped two bikes in there this afternoon (fish-head saw me struggling up the hill with them and kindly offered me a lift!)

hah, isn't the boards.ie cycling forum great. We must have the best community on here. The rest of the forums are no doubt all weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Verb wrote: »
    hah, isn't the boards.ie cycling forum great. We must have the best community on here. The rest of the forums are no doubt all weirdos.

+1
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

blorg wrote: »

I had to double take.. I knew you were handy on one bike, but jesus cycling two of the buggers didn't hold you back either!

Did you get them sorted?
    Verb wrote:
    Cool, I'd be in pestering all the time for free stuff.

Say a prayer that they call me back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Verb wrote: »
    hah, isn't the boards.ie cycling forum great. We must have the best dressed community on here. The rest of the forums are no doubt all weirdos.

Fixed that for you:D (referring to the jersey thread)

edit: Good luck with that fish-head. If JD knew what the reach of this board is in terms of PR he'd have to employ a boardsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I find the Cycle Inn in Tallaght to be a very decent bunch of guys, good repairs and some excellent deals on bits and pieces (I've no connection to the place!).

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

stuf wrote: »
    The shop formerly known as Commuting Solutions on the Rathmines Road - can't remember what the new name is but before and after the seeming change of ownership helpful both in person and on the phone. Not as cheap as some but they're a small shop.

Was in there today - it's called "Think Bike" now. Hasn't changed hands at all and they were great by sorting me out with a nut and bolt for my toe clips. Also found out that they have a workshop with more stock down towards Leinster Cricket Ground and down a mews on the left. Plenty of stock not on display in the workshop too so be sure to ask.

I overheard the boss telling a customer that because of the sale they have on this weekend that they might have a few trade-ins available next week for anyone looking for a new or second hand bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seemed to have some decent bikes in that rathmines shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Hi Guys and Gals,

New to this list, but a bike candy shopaholic :D

Cycle Superstore -

Always hellpfull, honest advice. Some of teh guys are more triathlon orientated.
    Service, Sales and Web depatrments are all great.

Good selection of parts and bikes, road and MTB, commuter and kids.

But since they moved to the Greenhills Road....off the beaten track for me.

Still - decent Website shop (www.cyclesuperstore.ie) and pricing comparable to other online stores like Chain Reaction (which is good).

Joe Daly -

Got my first bike from Joe nearly 40 years ago....eeek!

Drop in for a chat every now and then. Selection of parts is now a shadow of its former self. Bike secetion fine. Pricing ok.

What Joe and David don't know about bikes....

Funny to read the comments about Cyclogicla nd Cycleways....I agree totally!

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Little bit further out - Jimmy Stagg in Lucan. Great mechanics there and real cyclists, you'll always get good honest advice there, even if you want to spend more money....if you know what I mean.
    I always get slagged cos my bikes are not racking up the miles...

• Advertisement
Advertisement