Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with an N95?

• 21-08-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!
    Im very tempted by an o2 offer. €229 for N95 on the clear 50 price plan (20 quid a month). Im just wondering what are these phones like to live with? Battery life etc. A friend of mien had one of these nokia smart phones a few years back and the battery life was terrible. Also it would be my first time on a bill phone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

best phone i ever had & still have. Battery life is grand. Can last a couple of days if you dont use it too heavily. What i do is charge it ever night & i can use it as heavily as i like. The phone has GPS, WIFI, 5Meg Camera....the list goes on & on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I was about to start exactly the same thread, I've all but given up on the idea of an Iphone, I've been living with a keyboardless HTC touch for almost a year at this stage, whilst it a great WM PDA, I think the lack of real keyboard is too frustrating, I suspect that the iPhone will have the same downsides albeit in a slicker looking package.

Has anyone gone from an N95 to iPhone and regretted it, or are there any downsides to the N95 (other than the bulk)

Does the Garmin Sat Nav that you can get for the N95 give voice commands over a bluetooth hands free kit by any chance, or is it just through the phone speaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I have an original N95 since Jan. I was going for the iphone and couldn't get one. Hearing all the problems I'm glad I didn't and am sticking with it or upgrading to 8gb or N82.
    Once you add a few 3rd party apps this thing is brilliant; very stable etc.

Battery life is grand all depending on usage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

it's one of them phones where it's just so amazing. i have one and there's so many applications you can have on it :) super phone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,131 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

anyone considering the n95 i would really really recommend the n82 over it, same functionality, better camera (same 5mpx but takes better pics) much more solidly made, gps is much quicker to lock.

just a better phone, n95 slider very flimsy.

n82 is cheapish sim free on the bay now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

I loved my original simfree N95, firmware updates mean the gps is now as good as any other nokia, but it must be said the build is questionable. It got nicked so I imported an E66 for €400. Not as good a camera but overall an even better phone than the N95. Far studier and an excellent slider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Victor_M wrote: »
    I was about to start exactly the same thread, I've all but given up on the idea of an Iphone, I've been living with a keyboardless HTC touch for almost a year at this stage, whilst it a great WM PDA, I think the lack of real keyboard is too frustrating, I suspect that the iPhone will have the same downsides albeit in a slicker looking package.

Has anyone gone from an N95 to iPhone and regretted it, or are there any downsides to the N95 (other than the bulk)

Does the Garmin Sat Nav that you can get for the N95 give voice commands over a bluetooth hands free kit by any chance, or is it just through the phone speaker.

GPS voice navigation is an extra €60 per year and works through bluetooth earpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hey guys!
    Im very tempted by an o2 offer. €229 for N95 on the clear 50 price plan (20 quid a month).

i saw this offer online too. i also asked in the o2 store at the top of grafton st and they told me it would only be €179 to switch to clear 50 from 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Brianb8802

Victor_M wrote: »

Ya i have the Garmin program and it works through the bluetooth no probs. You dont have to pay extra for voice guidance once you have the program:pac:

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Ya i have the Garmin program and it works through the bluetooth no probs. You dont have to pay extra for voice guidance once you have the program:pac:

where did you get the garmin software and how much is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

nialldinho wrote: »
    i saw this offer online too. i also asked in the o2 store at the top of grafton st and they told me it would only be €179 to switch to clear 50 from 3.

Wo that is sweet. I think I'll go with that offer. Thanks for the advice but i don't think I spring for a sim-free phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Just a word, the camera is pretty crap in low light conditions. My sole reason for getting it was having a 5MP camera so I don't have to haul my Canon camera around. I wasn't expecting it to compare with a 6mp Digital SLR but be cautious if you're dependant on the camera for great pics.

I've never delved too deeply into the built in GPS on it because the few times I've tried I've given up waiting for it to pick up my position.

On that, does anyone know if 3rd party Sat Nav programs such as Tom Tom, Route 66 work with the built in GPS of the N95? I have a seperate GPS Locator, just wondering before I try to load my old Route 66 on to the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've recently bought the iPhone and have come from the N95 8gb (and the N95 before that). I have to admit that although the user interface on the iPhone is vastly superior to anything nokia have produced so far, I still think the N95 (and in particular the 8gb) is the best phone I have ever owned.

I was meant to be replacing my N95 8gb with the iPhone but instead I find myself carrying around both as I can't seem to cinvince myself that the iPhone is good enough to totally discard the N95.

So if unlike me you can turn down a gadget (and ignore the Apple publicity bandwagon) I can guarantee you that you will be far from disappointed in the N95.

n82 fixes both issues above

xenon flash and much better gps, really its the phone the n95 was meant to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Cyrus wrote: »
    n82 fixes both issues above

xenon flash and much better gps, really its the phone the n95 was meant to be

The main problem I have with the N82 is the buttons. They are too small and typing a large text gets very annoying.

personally didnt have an issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Brianb8802

nialldinho wrote: »
    where did you get the garmin software and how much is it?

I got it off the net. Cant tell you where or ill get linched by a mod. Google garmin xt and you might find something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Also it would be my first time on a bill phone.

So long as you're sensible enough to not run up crazy bills that would probably be a good thing. Bill phones used correctly cost less and give you more talktime than "pay as you go". 02 can send you reminder messages when your bill has reached a certain amount so sign up for those just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think if you use the web browsing much then the bigger N95 screen out classes the N82.

I think if you use the web browsing much then the bigger N95 screen out classes the N82.
    Thats exactly why I don't really want the N82. Wi-fi internet browsing is main thing I'm after, camera, GPS, etc. are just a bonus

• Advertisement

well its the same resolution so doesnt make a huge amount of difference in my experience

i think n82 is 2.4" n95 is 2.6" and n958gb is 2.8"

Thats exactly why I don't really want the N82. Wi-fi internet browsing is main thing I'm after, camera, GPS, etc. are just a bonus

er it has wifi and you wont see any more on the n95 screen itll just be a tiny tiny bit bigger :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Its only €169 on Metors Talk 60. It comes unlocked and unbranded which is a bonus.
    Excellent phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Why not go for the nokia E51? Small and easy to use, i just got one free and its great best phone i got so far, was tempted wit n95 but way too big ok has great camera but i have a digital camera

DonFred wrote: »
    Why not go for the nokia E51? Small and easy to use, i just got one free and its great best phone i got so far, was tempted wit n95 but way too big ok has great camera but i have a digital camera
    Well my friend has a E51 and the screen feels very small, the other features may just be a bonus but there a big bonus. With the 8 gigs I can throw a nice chunk of my music library on there and leave my ipod at home more often as well as my Macbook (Which came to college with me all but 2 days last year).
    kc66 wrote:
    Its only €169 on Metors Talk 60. It comes unlocked and unbranded which is a bonus.
    Excellent phone.
    Meteor don't do a great job of advertising the bill phone offers online. Cant find that offer anywhere. I like the sound of unlocked and unbranded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Meteor don't do a great job of advertising the bill phone offers online. Cant find that offer anywhere. I like the sound of unlocked and unbranded
    AFAIK Meteor don't brand any of their phones (none I've ever had anyway) which is an instant plus in my opinion.
    Not sure about the unlocked part though - must check my N95 8GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

When searching through the Nokia Maps you've downloaded through the MapLoader, or finding your GPS position, are you billed for that if you don't have an unlimited data package? Also, is there a way of turning off the WAP/online connection that you would be charged for (so it will only connect to your free WiFi, and nothing else)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Well my friend has a E51 and the screen feels very small, the other features may just be a bonus but there a big bonus. With the 8 gigs I can throw a nice chunk of my music library on there and leave my ipod at home more often as well as my Macbook (Which came to college with me all but 2 days last year).

The Meteor N95s are all unbranded. Not all are unlocked though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Fair dues to Nokia service center in Cork, screen broke during holidays, 68€ repair in less that 24hrs, also sorted firmware one or two other issues, gave someone the phone to charge, the plonker must have dropped it

• Advertisement

can the n95 play avi files? or do they have to be converted to something else?

Advertisement