Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rover 618 v Omega 2.0

Options
  • 21-08-2008 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Rover 600 1.8L 1997, met silver, petrol, 4 dr, manual, ABS, a/c, a/b, CD, c/l, e/w, p/s

Opel Omega cd16v 2.0L '96 saloon, met green, petrol, 4 dr, auto, NCT 05/09, 117k mls, ABS, a/b, alloys, e/s/r, e/w

As mentioned in the recent barge thread mine is creaking along, repair costs far outweigh its notional value and it'll never see a fresh NCT for the same reason. My insurance is due on the 28th so I was thinking about getting my finger out and nabbing one of the above before renewal.

Which all things being equal should I go for. The Omega looks the best best on paper as its got NCT and is an auto, while the Ronda has air con and is going to be a bit cheaper to tax (maybe insure, prolly only pennies diff though) plus has the Jap engine/trans which is a plus point.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 600 is actually a little bit smaller than the Omega if that matters to you.

The 618i has the Rover K Series 1.8 litre engine rather than a Honda engine afaik. Just make sure that the head gasket is ok on it. I would probably look for a 620i to be honest.

What kind of budget do you have?

Check out the Honda Accord, both that and the 600 are the same underneath and share some engines:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Accord/1.8I/1005224/

The ranked outsider, high mileage but it also has a very high spec:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Nissan/Maxima-QX/2.0-SE/1158978/

The 75 might be worth a look too, probably better than both the 75 and Omega:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Rover/75/1.8-CONNOISSEUR/933419/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Rover/75/car/922290/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I think the 618 was the K-series and the 620 the honda alright:confused:

The K-series was a good engine when it was working - revvy and high bhp/litre for the time. Head gasket problem well documented though:(...

A honda-engined 600 would be my choice. I've always liked 'em, pipe-and-slippers image or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Whatever you do, avoid the Rover 600's with the foul brown/beige interior :pac:

I'd like a 2.5 V6 Omega of that vintage. RWD fun time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the 1.8 is a rover k series then my mind may have been made upfor me!

My budget is ultra low, my milage is tiny these days but I still want a certain level of comfort, also both cars above are local, there is no way I'm shlepping about the land to find a car.

edit the Omega is 800 yo-yos

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The 2.0 Omega actually really is a bit of barge ...large, wallowy and not that fast ...but very comfy.

For 800 euro I'd certainly take a long, hard look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Omega = RWD

Fun at roundabouts in the rain! :pac:

I myself would go for a Vauxhall Senator (even if they are a bit older).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

While the Rover is a nice car specced properly, there are very few knocking round this country with leather.

Is the A6 auto?? if so, do you REALLY want to go back considering most of your journeys are local?

I'd have the Omega, even considered one this year, but the insurance was going to be killer for me next year: €1,700+.

I know this is more than €800 and it's in Dublin but what the hey, worth a post edit http://www.carlist.ie/77397

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

the 618, 620 and 623 are all honda engined - tho a honda engine and gearbox along with a honda designed chassis does not make it a honda

had an omega a while back - a 2 litre - lovely spec but gave a bit of troube with rear brakes which are a combination of discs and drums and the head gasket needed doing - oh and there was the odd electrical gremlin with windows and central locking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Rover 600 is a reskined Accord.
    There were a diesel and a turbo petrol that were a bit different but the rest of them are basically prettier looking Honda Accords.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Rover 600 series is a comfy enough car. My FIL had several and I nearly bought one myself once :eek:

I know very little about the Opel, so I can't comment

The 618 does not have a Rover K-series engine, it's got a Honda engine. For tax/insurance it's not a 1.8 but a 1.9.
    VH wrote: »
    the 618, 620 and 623 are all honda engined

<pedant>True, apart from the 620ti, which has a Rover engine</pedant>

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i would personally rather a opel. i would think opel have a better name when turning up somewhere in it.

unkel wrote: »
    <pedant>True, apart from the 620ti, which has a Rover engine</pedant>
    nor the 620td - but i didnt mention it either

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You forgot your pedant tags. Anyway, there never was a 618, 620 or 623. There never even was a 620td either :rolleyes:

The 600 was available in the following versions:
    618i
    618 Si
    620i
    620 Si
    620 SLi
    620 GSi
    623 SLi
    623 GSi
    623 iS
    620ti
    620 Di
    620 SDi
    620 SLDi
    620 GSDi

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wow, that's impressive stuff unkel!

I'd be going Omega, mike.
    Or Xedos9 or Maxima.

Omega 2.5 TD was a BMW engine wasn't it?

unkel wrote: »
    You forgot your pedant tags. Anyway, there never was a 618, 620 or 623. There never even was a 620td either :rolleyes:

td = turbo diesel - all versions

well done on looking up wikipedia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never argue with a mod ;)

colm_mcm, the 2.5 was a detuned version of the BMW derv engine.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mike65 wrote: »
    Never argue with a mod ;)

colm_mcm, the 2.5 was a detuned version of the BMW derv engine.

Mike.

Old school diesel, might run on vegi oil but smell like a chipper? :D

Advertisement