Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

Ps3 had a disc stuck in it that would not eject(kept beeping twice), took out the disc drive and removed the disc, reset the arms within the drive so that it would accept a new disc. Put it all back together but now the disc runners bring the disc in but the mechanism won't seem to lock the disc so that the disc will spin, ie, you can pull the disc back out. Any suggestions, must have taken the thing apart 10 times now and can't seem to figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Replaced the laser in my 40gig and when I put it back together the drive would not accept a disk as easily as before , ie: the disk would have to be pushed futher into the console and a bit harder for it to be taken in.

Found this video and at around 6:30 in that video was the problem I was having. put the two springs over the lip on the gray parts and it was as good as new.

Not saying that will sort your problem but that guy has some good loader guide videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

dont know if this has been answered already so bear with me. i had the dreaded ylod happen during the week and today i followed the tutorials on youtube on fixed it (lourdes had nothing on this miracle!). beefore the ylod came up a disc was in the blu ray drive. when i powered up the ps3 after fixing the ylod, it started as normal and the screen appeared as if no disc was in the machine, ie hard drive content accessible etc. now, the machine wont eject the disc and when i try the eject button it makes the beeping sound as if no disc is present. what next?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ShortyNolan

Hey guys,
    I bought my Ps3 off some random guy a while ago and at the time it was working perfect but now it is dying.
    Sometimes it works and sometimes it just wants to give up on life.

I'm trying to get it online but its saying Dns error 80710102 and stuff like that I might have entered my wpa key wrong, well i didnt because I remembered it from entering it in so much :(.

Along with this, it sometimes comes out with green spots on it and it freezes. I've heard the cpu is dying or something.

Can anyone help me with this or should I just get myself a new one
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

A proper reflow will repair all the cpu issues, freezing ect. Just be careful were you take it, a heat gun is a reflow!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 riddler95

Sounds like someone is drilling in the next room. I do hover the console but is there handy servicing that i could do myself?
    Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dan Bernet

it sometimes comes out with green spots on it and it freezes. I've heard the cpu is dying or something.

ps3 controller
    ps3 dualshock 3 controller
    ps3 wireless controller

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'm having a wee bit of trouble with the PS3 today. I has just suddenly stopped playing DVDs. When I put the DVD into the drive, very little happens insode (in terms of movement/noise) and the DVD symbol fails to appear on under VIDEO on the XMB.

Is my DVD laser gone kaput? It plays Blurays alright. No problem there. Just no DVDs.
    Got myself a PS3 'phat' 40Gb (upped to 250Gb).
    What's the best way to trouble shoot it? And what am I looking at in terms of how to fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I've held off buying a PS3 until now, might get a slim. Have there been any majoy issues with it a la lights of death ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I've held off buying a PS3 until now, might get a slim. Have there been any majoy issues with it a la lights of death ?

No, but you could be unlucky and get a dud, as with any electronics device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've heard of Slims which have got it. I don't think they've fixed the underlying cause (the solder) and therefore most PS3s sold are going to be doing well to see their fourth birthday.

I'm having a wee bit of trouble with the PS3 today. I has just suddenly stopped playing DVDs. When I put the DVD into the drive, very little happens insode (in terms of movement/noise) and the DVD symbol fails to appear on under VIDEO on the XMB.

Is my DVD laser gone kaput? It plays Blurays alright. No problem there. Just no DVDs.
    Got myself a PS3 'phat' 40Gb (upped to 250Gb).
    What's the best way to trouble shoot it? And what am I looking at in terms of how to fix it?

anyone?

You have found the fault. Can't read DVDs.
    Replace the laser.

F1ngers wrote: »
    You have found the fault. Can't read DVDs.
    Replace the laser.

The reason why I wasn't sure was because I've never head of a PS3 to stop recognising DVDs but not Blurays or games. I rang Sony this morning to see if they would be able to diagnose it but they tried to get me to back everything up to so a restore to factory settings. Should I bother?

The reason why I wasn't sure was because I've never head of a PS3 to stop recognising DVDs but not Blurays or games.

This has happened, fairly sure there are threads about it on here.
    I rang Sony this morning to see if they would be able to diagnose it but they tried to get me to back everything up to so a restore to factory settings. Should I bother?

It won't do any harm, but I can't see how that will fix the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've heard of Slims which have got it. I don't think they've fixed the underlying cause (the solder) and therefore most PS3s sold are going to be doing well to see their fourth birthday.
    You've heard of the slims which have what? :confused:

You've heard of the slims which have what? :confused:

Yellow Light of Death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Hi guy's just a question regarding changing my hard drive. I'm using a second PS3 instead of an external hard drive to store my data. A message comes up saying that purchased content has been detected on the system and that before i can proceed i must deactivate the source machine.
    What does this mean for my machine as i obviously plan to put everything back onto the machine with the new hard drive.
    Is deactivating it permanent?

weiland79 wrote: »
    Hi guy's just a question regarding changing my hard drive. I'm using a second PS3 instead of an external hard drive to store my data. A message comes up saying that purchased content has been detected on the system and that before i can proceed i must deactivate the source machine.
    What does this mean for my machine as i obviously plan to put everything back onto the machine with the new hard drive.
    Is deactivating it permanent?

Deactivation is not permanent.
    I don't recollect deactivating mine when doing a PS3 to PS3 transfer.
    Are you sure you have to deactivate? Not just an option?
    You will be reactivating on your new PS3 - all your dlc will be there for you.
    It's to prevent "game sharing".

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Soby wrote: »
    Right im on the verge of losing it at this stage i need help
    Basically i cant maintain a connect to the psn.Its all over the shop.
    First of all ,relax,take it one step at a time.
    I would suspect that is your broadband is dire,i used to have eircom and never got more than half the speed promised.
    Check out your speed on speedtest.net.Connect your computer directly to router if your using wireless as isp's like to blame your pc's wireless connection.Take note of test and print results,repeat during peak times.Make sure you have
    most programmes ,torrents,P2P,turned off so as to get a better result.
    Are there other people sharing your connection?Have you a password on your router if it's wireless to stop theft?
    If you're still getting poor results ditch eircom,i got UPC 20mb and it's normally around 17-20 mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

F1ngers wrote: »
    Deactivation is not permanent.
    I don't recollect deactivating mine when doing a PS3 to PS3 transfer.
    Are you sure you have to deactivate? Not just an option?
    You will be reactivating on your new PS3 - all your dlc will be there for you.
    It's to prevent "game sharing".

Meant to get back to this the other day. It is definately not only an option and i do have to deactivate the source console. Another issue is that i have to get a 'split' Ethernet cable i think it's called as the machines aren't recognising the standard cable. Also if I'm transfering from one PS3 to another i have to format the second PS3 which I'm not prepared to do, just going to get an external hard drive it seems much less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mclovin442

hi guys this is prob a stupid question but someone can tell me, does streaming from you laptop to ps3 take up your usage limit?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I just YLOD (again) so I'm going to buy a slim PS3 I'm just wondering about the slims, is it as easy to add a new hard drive and if I take the hard drive from the YLOD PS3 (because its a 500gb I put in myself) will it have my save games?

Also can't believe my bad luck with this happening the week the cloud came out, only game I'd backed up so far was Plants Vs Zombies. Was going to do the rest over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Qs wrote: »
    I just YLOD (again) so I'm going to buy a slim PS3

how old is it your warranty may still apply and even if it doesn't your consumer right would be addition to that.
    is it as easy to add a new hard drive and if I take the hard drive from the YLOD PS3 (because its a 500gb I put in myself) will it have my save games?

it is easy to take that 500GB out and put it in a new slim but you'll have to format the hard drive before it'll work after putting it in the PS3 so you can't get the old saves off it.
    Also can't believe my bad luck with this happening the week the cloud came out, only game I'd backed up so far was Plants Vs Zombies. Was going to do the rest over the weekend.

I got half way through my saves may finish it soon to prevent this.

im told 80 euro to fix this problem from theese guys .sounds better than 120 from sony and geting a refurbished heap o crap

A refurb is probably better than a fix. My refurb just YLOD but I've had it 3 years now and its played an awful lot. My brothers YLOD'd last year and we fixed it (reflow) but its gave up again about a month later, reflowed again but only lasted a week that time so we gave up and he bought a slim.

Varik wrote: »
    how old is it your warranty may still apply and even if it doesn't your consumer right would be addition to that.

Its well past the warranty, its a refurb anyway as I had a laser problem originally and even then that was nearly 3 years ago.

it is easy to take that 500GB out and put it in a new slim but you'll have to format the hard drive before it'll work after putting it in the PS3 so you can't get the old saves off it.

Are you saying I have to format the drive again? Its already in a PS3 will it not just swap over? Thats a concern I've quite a few films on it too. If thats the case I might reflow it just to get all my stuff off it.

I got half way through my saves may finish it soon to prevent this.

Do its well worth it.

Another thing, I'm now thinking of trying to get a refurb if I can get one quickly enough, The only thing with that is my copy of Fifa 11 is stuck in the machine, anyway to get it out without opening the PS3?

anyway to get it out without opening the PS3?

There is,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Are you saying I have to format the drive again? Its already in a PS3 will it not just swap over? Thats a concern I've quite a few films on it too. If thats the case I might reflow it just to get all my stuff off it.

The hard drive is encrypted to that PS3 and a new one will not read it, it format the drive when you try to start it up with the new PS3.

Advertisement