Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

my ps3 phat seems to be overheating, it just shuts down and the red light blinks after shut down. Any ideas what I can do?

Will one of these ps3 fans be of any use?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9251379.htm

Or is my ps3 finished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

my ps3 phat seems to be overheating, it just shuts down and the red light blinks after shut down. Any ideas what I can do?

Or is my ps3 finished?

Get it repaired, its already too late. TBH a repair is your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Or is my ps3 finished?

If you are not worried about voiding your warranty [it IS a phat], you could carefully open the box and vacuum all the dust out of it. Clear the vents etc. Will make a WORLD full of difference [if the heat hasn't done any hardware damage]. I've done this to my PS3 and it was silent again for ages.

Cost : €10 to €20 for a can of compressed air to blast the vents and surrounds.

If yer gonna do this, just be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

One of the lads in work here had a PS3 that died on him (don't have full details yet) but he has the hard drive out of it. He never got the chance to back up the drive, with all his game saves etc. on it. He bought a new slim PS3 which, I'm told, won't take the old HDD. It also won't read it via USB as it's not Fat32.

Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't fit his HDD into my PS3 and take a backup of it for him? Or is there any easier way? Is there any s/w available that could allow him to grab his data off the HDD as is?

TIA

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

milltown wrote: »
    One of the lads in work here had a PS3 that died on him (don't have full details yet) but he has the hard drive out of it. He never got the chance to back up the drive, with all his game saves etc. on it. He bought a new slim PS3 which, I'm told, won't take the old HDD. It also won't read it via USB as it's not Fat32.

Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't fit his HDD into my PS3 and take a backup of it for him? Or is there any easier way? Is there any s/w available that could allow him to grab his data off the HDD as is?

TIA

Can't be done.
    HDDs are married to a console, if you put it into your PS3 the first thing it'll ask you to do is a format.
    He can only back up from his PS3.

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    Can't be done.
    HDDs are married to a console, if you put it into your PS3 the first thing it'll ask you to do is a format.
    He can only back up from his PS3.

Yes. To clarify, the old HDD will physically fit into the new PS3 but the new PS3 will prompt to format it. It's a security / encryption concern on Sony's part.

Otherwise, you could clone the HDD and give a copy to all your mates.

So he's pretty much goosed then?
    He's dumped the old PS3. Had it repaired once but wasn't spending another €80 on it this time. Seems like there's no way to get his saves etc. off the drive?

milltown wrote: »
    So he's pretty much goosed then?
    He's dumped the old PS3. Had it repaired once but wasn't spending another €80 on it this time. Seems like there's no way to get his saves etc. off the drive?

He can, get it repaired ONE more time. Then ....

1. There is a facility in the PS3 OS to transfer everything to a new PS3 by connecting two units [back to back] via network cable. This is a permanent move of data from one unit to another unit using a Sony provided process.

2. Sign up to Playstation Plus which now has Online Storage of game saves. All [bar two, I think] games support this premium feature. I use it all the time and it REALLY takes the stress out of backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gilbertotron

Hi guys, Ive tried searching on here for this topic but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for so if one you has info or can point me in the right direction that would be great.
    So, I'll give you the background and see what ye think.
    I've got the old 60Gb PS3 model and the other day I switched it on and up pops this red screen telling me that my PS3 has encountered a serious error and i should contact technical support. The screen was red with the message written in several languages.
    So after going through of couple of the steps suggested on other places, like restarting it, restoring settings, reformating and all that other stuff, still nothing. I mean after reformatting it started normally but as soon as i put a game in, red screen again.
    Luckily at the same time i was upgrading the HDD in my mac and so had a spare 200Gb HDD lying about. So I decided why not lob that into the PS3 as its a handy enough job.
    After sticking it in and formating it everything seemed to be going swimmingly. I installed a couple of games and had played a couple of games as well. But then upon restarting my console, same error message and red screen only this time when i do the hard restart by holding down the on switch and all that it boots up ok and will play, but only after doing that.
    Has anyone got any ideas what the hell is going on? Coz the only thing that I can think of is that its not shutting down right for some reason and thats corrupting the HDD which is why its not restarting...
    Any and all help greatly appreciated, because I really want to keep the 60Gb console rather than shell out for the newer ( inferior) model.
    Thank you all.

RangeR wrote: »
    He can, get it repaired ONE more time. Then ....

1. There is a facility in the PS3 OS to transfer everything to a new PS3 by connecting two units [back to back] via network cable. This is a permanent move of data from one unit to another unit using a Sony provided process.

2. Sign up to Playstation Plus which now has Online Storage of game saves. All [bar two, I think] games support this premium feature. I use it all the time and it REALLY takes the stress out of backups.

Yeah, it's an original release PS3 that he paid over €600 for 6 years ago or whatever it was. He's dropped €80 on one temporary repair already. I don't think a couple of game saves are going to dissuade him from cutting his losses at this stage.

Thanks for the replies and info guys!

• Advertisement

Hi guys, Ive tried searching on here for this topic but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for so if one you has info or can point me in the right direction that would be great.
    So, I'll give you the background and see what ye think.
    I've got the old 60Gb PS3 model and the other day I switched it on and up pops this red screen telling me that my PS3 has encountered a serious error and i should contact technical support. The screen was red with the message written in several languages.
    So after going through of couple of the steps suggested on other places, like restarting it, restoring settings, reformating and all that other stuff, still nothing. I mean after reformatting it started normally but as soon as i put a game in, red screen again.
    Luckily at the same time i was upgrading the HDD in my mac and so had a spare 200Gb HDD lying about. So I decided why not lob that into the PS3 as its a handy enough job.
    After sticking it in and formating it everything seemed to be going swimmingly. I installed a couple of games and had played a couple of games as well. But then upon restarting my console, same error message and red screen only this time when i do the hard restart by holding down the on switch and all that it boots up ok and will play, but only after doing that.
    Has anyone got any ideas what the hell is going on? Coz the only thing that I can think of is that its not shutting down right for some reason and thats corrupting the HDD which is why its not restarting...
    Any and all help greatly appreciated, because I really want to keep the 60Gb console rather than shell out for the newer ( inferior) model.
    Thank you all.

Have you tried re-flashing the unit with the latest firmaware?

I have the latest firmware 3.60 installed on my machine. I think thats the newest one yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I have the latest firmware 3.60 installed on my machine. I think thats the newest one yeah?

It is indeed!

Ok after much research and troubleshooting I think Ive found the problem.
    After I get the original message i done all the usual dev mode reformat jazz that is the first port of call for troubleshooting it.
    That didnt work
    So then I stuck a spare 200gb HDD into that I had lying about to see if that would fix the problem and at first it did. I could install games and play games and everything seemed rosey.
    Then i shut it down and rebooted it. Red screen again.
    At this point I was very pissed off about the whole thing and left it alone for awhile.
    I then started in in safe mode and it started fine. Could play games, save, install the works. So I thought this is very strange.
    I restarted it again normally, red screen. Restarted it in safe mode all good.
    I couldnt figure out what was happening until I started it in safe mode and unplugged the PS3 controller for the USB charger. red screen.
    Now I thought we may see where the problem is.
    So after playing around with it a bit and trying different things I think I may have a failed bluetooth module, but I wont know for certain until I can get a second hand PS3 and harvest a working bluetooth module from it and install it in mine.
    Any comments or advice as always greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

I have the launch european model and needed to change the laser recently when it stopped reading all discs i put in (cd's,dvd's,BluRay's etc)

Since changing the laser the ps3 can read everything expect BluRay movies(clock in top right hand corner just keeps spinning). I find this very strange as the ps3 games are on BluRay discs but it seems to be able to read them. I loaned the ps3 to my bro and he did have bother playing the most recent COD on it but i've since tried about 8 different games and it reads them no problem.

Is this likely to be a laser fault with the new laser i got or could it be some BluRay driver not working ??? Any ideas cos it's doing my head in :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

What the gurantee length on the slims? got 1 after my phat died around when uncharted 2 came out.

Anyways the blu-ray is just acting the gimp at the moment, sometimes it works straight out, other times it'll me a few times powering on\off or taking disc out to get going. It'll see the disc on the menu but once i click it crahes out after a few seconds, throwing up some message about cleaning the disc. I'm working away at the moment but it's probably only a matter of time before it claps out.

Hoping smyths will let me return it but not sure on warranty date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,367 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hey just a heads up that we've tidied up the stickies, so there's now this thread for all questions PS3 related.

I also want to update the OP with links to useful threads in the forum. Have only put in the Essential PS3 Games thread which had to be unstickied but any more suggestions just holla at F1ngers or myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Some help please. I moved to Colombia last week and brought my Irish launch model PS3 with me. I assumed(from checking various message boards) that all I would need to get it working here is a local kettle or PC lead to replace my Irish one and I would be good to go. But apparently not. There's no power getting to the machine at all. No red light, no nothing. I've read loads about people going to the US and their machine working fine with just a new lead, so how come it is not working for me? I'm pretty sure Colombia uses the same voltage as the US does. Same sockets, anyway. And the rest of the electrical equipment I brought with me work fine with just a travel adapter(laptop, phone charger, ipod charger etc).

What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Cant seem to sign back in , it says i have to change my password but when i try it says an error has occurred 80710D36
    :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Shammy wrote: »
    Cant seem to sign back in , it says i have to change my password but when i try it says an error has occurred 80710D36
    :confused::confused:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72242904&postcount=2042

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

How long roughly did it take everyone to get their password reset email?

I just requested mine there now and I'm waiting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

Less then a minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Less then a minute

Hmmm. That's odd. Is this the norm? No sign of an email for me.
    Thanks for your help. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Hmmm. That's odd. Is this the norm? No sign of an email for me.
    Thanks for your help. :)

Some people got the email straight away, others are still waiting since sunday.
    Just create an account to tide you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

I have 2 accounts one didn't need an email one did. Are u sure u need one??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm sick of being restricted to two USB sockets on my Slim PS3. I want more. Is any USB multitap as good as eachother? If not is there any one that someone might like to recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,352 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm sick of being restricted to two USB sockets on my Slim PS3. I want more. Is any USB multitap as good as eachother? If not is there any one that someone might like to recommend?

Sick of it?

Maybe I am less of a technophile than I thought but other than a USB key and charging a controller I don't think the need for a thrid one has ever come up.

EDIT: Regarding your question, there was a thread (started by RangeR I think) last summer which had some good proposals in USB multis. Was it the Playstation or Games forum though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

To be honest, I don't think I ever had the need for more than two when I had my 60GB PS3 with four slots. Now I've got a Slim I'm finding myself suddenly using them much more. With four controllers, the Move and the Navigation controller I've usually got one thing on charge with one thing needing charging, I've got the eye toy (for the Move) using one of the slots and now I'm looking at a set of headphones which connect through USB as well. Plus I transfer files to the PS3 using a USB dongle.

If I get Play TV then I'm completely ****ed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Bought a 4 way usb in the 2 euro shop does the job but its a bit short.Does the trick.

Advertisement