Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

noodler wrote: »
    EDIT: Regarding your question, there was a thread (started by RangeR I think) last summer which had some good proposals in USB multis. Was it the Playstation or Games forum though?

Yup. I still use it. Can't recommend it highly enough. I'll see if I can dig up the info. Standby.

EDIT : Found it. This is the thread. I had VERY exacting requirements. This is the result. VERY nice. Not for Slims, though. Thank you to everyone who helped me find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

I'm currently having issues with the cable for my controllers. My 2 controllers are both out of battery power but when i put the cable into them to recharge I keep getting messages saying the max amount of power has been reached please remove device and my controllers won't charge. Does it sound like an issue with the cable itself or is my PS3 damaged

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    I'm currently having issues with the cable for my controllers. My 2 controllers are both out of battery power but when i put the cable into them to recharge I keep getting messages saying the max amount of power has been reached please remove device and my controllers won't charge. Does it sound like an issue with the cable itself or is my PS3 damaged

Do the controllers charge in your PC/Laptop? Plug them in and all 4 lights should flash for 2 to 3 hours, then go out. That's a normal full ish charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

Dillonb3 wrote: »

Try resetting the controller and then try charging them. There's a small reset hole on the back of the controllers. Use a safety pin or toothpick to reset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Guys, I have a few questions if ye would not mind. I saw Final Fantasy VII on the PSN for £8 and I was thinking of getting a cheap PSP as it would be great on journeys.

Are all the PSOne classics PSP compatible?

Can they be copied from PS3 to PSP or do they have to be downloaded twice?

Can saves be copied?

Thanks!!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Guys, I have a few questions if ye would not mind. I saw Final Fantasy VII on the PSN for £8 and I was thinking of getting a cheap PSP as it would be great on journeys.
    You won't regret a PSP. I've got two phats.
    Are all the PSOne classics PSP compatible?
    Ohhhhh yes. And Minis, too.
    Can they be copied from PS3 to PSP or do they have to be downloaded twice?
    Yup. you just need to usb your PSP to the PS3 and authenticate. Simple process and PS3 walks you through it.
    Can saves be copied?
    Most of the time. I've yet to find one that couldn't be copied.

Thanks!!
    More than welcome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What a nice reply, thanks for that.

It's quite cool you can just download them and copy them over. I assume they can be played offline and they'd need to be activated. The PSN says they come with up to 5 downloads.

What's with all the various PSPs out today? Last time I looked there was only one and a PSP go.

Thanks again!!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advice : Don't install PSP Custom Firmware. Later official firmwares also include PSN shop where you can also download direct.

Once games are copied over, they can be played offline.

Oh, I have NO intention whatsoever messing with homebrew stuff. I'd either do it legit or not at all and since the PSOne classics cost a max of £10 it's not too bad. I was asking about copying because I would prefer to only do an actual download once to save my download limit. I live with 2 people and would prefer 1 download compared to 2. Do you need to create a virtual memory card to save them? Are the graphics really poor? Looks like there is little difference in the versions of the PSP. I swear I am running out of questions, honest.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Oh, I have NO intention whatsoever messing with homebrew stuff. I'd either do it legit or not at all and since the PSOne classics cost a max of £10 it's not too bad. I was asking about copying because I would prefer to only do an actual download once to save my download limit. I live with 2 people and would prefer 1 download compared to 2. Do you need to create a virtual memory card to save them? Are the graphics really poor? Looks like there is little difference in the versions of the PSP. I swear I am running out of questions, honest.

The graphics are pretty much exactly like the PSOne version. Virtual Memory card is needed for PSOne game saves on PS3 only. Can't remember if they are needed on PSP.

Playstation Plus will be your friend if you are interested in PSOne and Minis.

It looks simple enough anyway on the PS3. Hadn't thought of Playstation plus. How much is it?

H. H. Asquith

Hadn't thought of Playstation plus. How much is it?

€40 or 50 a year [+3 months free]

Each month, you get [minimum]
    1 x PSN game
    1 x PSOne game
    2 x Minis

Plus many, many, many discounts and other freebies every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 globemaster

Hi,
    Is it at all possible to create a new psn account from a pc at https://store.playstation.com/accounts/register/beginNewAccountRegistrationFlow.action . The playstation website guides me to that page but it has been down for ages now. Has this link ever worked for anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Hi,
    Is it at all possible to create a new psn account from a pc at https://store.playstation.com/accounts/register/beginNewAccountRegistrationFlow.action . The playstation website guides me to that page but it has been down for ages now. Has this link ever worked for anyone??
    Ya it is. I've created 3 accounts through the website in the past. The most recent one I created through it was probably October or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Hey all,

I went to turn on my ps3 tonight and when I push the power button the light turns green for half a second, changes to yellow and then quickly to flashing red.

I know there's a ton of threads on the ylod but could I be pointed in the direction of a solution? And can it be fixed at home easily enough or will I have to send it away for repair.

It's the old 60GB model, bought a few months after release. This is the first problem I've had with it. Worked fine yesterday.
    I moved it into another room eariler today, but didn't drop it, knock it over or anything. And I checked all the cables were secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,760 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My PS3 just died, the exact same as Dr Poca above, any advice?

Buy a new one. You will pay half the price of a new unit to get it repaired. With F all guarantees.

Just write it off and buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone know if a PSPs counts towards the 5 activation, or is it 5 each. I know there's no way to know how the Vita will be dealt with but what about psps. Have 2 PS3, a PSP, soon a GO and when it comes out a Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone know if a PSPs counts towards the 5 activation, or is it 5 each. I know there's no way to know how the Vita will be dealt with but what about psps. Have 2 PS3, a PSP, soon a GO and when it comes out a Vita.

I'm pretty certain that PSPs count towards the 5 account activations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

RangeR wrote: »
    Buy a new one. You will pay half the price of a new unit to get it repaired. With F all guarantees.

Just write it off and buy a new one.

lol 150 euro repair :rolleyes:

lol 150 euro repair :rolleyes:

You are obviously missing the point but thank you for your valuable input.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Is it possible to change the font size on the PS3 menu? I changed the settings to 1080p and the wording is a lot clearer but its too small. I know this used to happen without being to change font size, but was wondering if Sony fixed it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,352 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I backed up my PS3 once (320 GB) and should do so again.

It took ages last time and I am wondering if you go to back up a second time does it start the entire process again or is it clever enough to only update the file with the "new" content, games etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭Varik

noodler wrote: »
    I backed up my PS3 once (320 GB) and should do so again.

It took ages last time and I am wondering if you go to back up a second time does it start the entire process again or is it clever enough to only update the file with the "new" content, games etc

All again, the back up is an image of the drive as it is now and not just a copy of the files.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm trying to use my iomega media player to back up my 80gb PS3. There are already 2 partitions on the drive, an update (211mb free) which is in fat32 and is the primary drive and the iomega itself (400GBs free) which is in ntfs.

I've managed to partition 100 gigs in the iomega drive and changed the file system to fat32 but the PS3 still can't see it.

I've a load of movies and series on the hard drive so i don't want to have to format the whole thing. Is there anything else i can do to get the PS3 to see it. The only other thing i can think of is to make the new partition the primary one but I tried to no success. Can't figure it out.

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

If you've successfully made a 100gb partition in FAT32 format then the ps3 should be able to pick it up, what happens when you plug it in? Don't forget you may need to format the newly created FAT32 partition, maybe do this using the program you used to create the partition and try again, it should work.

It only sees the first primary partition which i can't do anything with.

I already had to format the 100gb partition as it was in exfat as opposed to fat32. So i formated it with a tool that also changed the file system to fat32

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm trying to use my iomega media player to back up my 80gb PS3. There are already 2 partitions on the drive, an update (211mb free) which is in fat32 and is the primary drive and the iomega itself (400GBs free) which is in ntfs.

I've managed to partition 100 gigs in the iomega drive and changed the file system to fat32 but the PS3 still can't see it.

I've a load of movies and series on the hard drive so i don't want to have to format the whole thing. Is there anything else i can do to get the PS3 to see it. The only other thing i can think of is to make the new partition the primary one but I tried to no success. Can't figure it out.

Thanks for any help.
    tok9 wrote: »
    It only sees the first primary partition which i can't do anything with.

I already had to format the 100gb partition as it was in exfat as opposed to fat32. So i formated it with a tool that also changed the file system to fat32

Anyone?

I'm thinking of using my ipod instead, realised it was fat32 and theres 80gbs on it so I just need to delete a few thjings off it and there should be enough to backup the playstation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I guess i probably know the answer to my question already but i'm still hoping for the best.

Launch model 80GB still plays games no problem, play online no problem it just won't play Blue rays anymore. Is this the beginning of the end? Does anyone think i might be able to just swap out the laser?

Advertisement