Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

has vidzone been taken away i recently bought a new ps3 and it doesnt have vidzone..?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

spider_pig wrote: »
    has vidzone been taken away i recently bought a new ps3 and it doesnt have vidzone..?

Download form PSN

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hey guys, do u know if there is a way to change aspect ratio on Blu-Rays? I know u can do it with regular video file playback but it seems to be locked out when playing DVDs/Blu-rays. I hate black borders u see!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Hey guys, do u know if there is a way to change aspect ratio on Blu-Rays? I know u can do it with regular video file playback but it seems to be locked out when playing DVDs/Blu-rays. I hate black borders u see!

Normally your TV would have a few ratios to pick from. Not sure on BR's, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

weiland79 wrote: »
    I guess i probably know the answer to my question already but i'm still hoping for the best.

Launch model 80GB still plays games no problem, play online no problem it just won't play Blue rays anymore. Is this the beginning of the end? Does anyone think i might be able to just swap out the laser?

Anyone got an answer for me?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭Varik

if games work, then it's a software problem.

Back up and then format.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Varik wrote: »

if games work, then it's a software problem.

Back up and then format.
    Cleaned the disc, got it working in the end. Had to format the hard disk :(:( Lost everything but it works again.

Hi lads,
    Over past few days got two broken PS3 consoles, one 80GB and the other 60GB. The Blu-ray drive will not read discs in both and that is fine as I ony want it to use Vidzone and download the odd gave l game demo. Network is working fine as well as PSN and store. The thing is any game or application will download and install fine but when I try to launch it freezes on the black screen just after it displays the resolution values?? HDD flickers for a few seconds initially and then nothing?? The same thing happens both PS3's??

Tried using composite cable and done full format on both but no joy. Tried different controllers. Any ideas? This happened to anyone else before?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Well lads,
    have had a problem with me old 60gb fat PS3, player Deus Ex recently and after about a year of having zero issues the game froze and after the game froze the PS3 now refuses to read any disc that I put in it, be the disc blu-ray, dvd, game disc or audio disc. Everything else works fine, internet/hdd stuff, just the disc reading. I'm just wondering will I have to shell out on a new disc drive or is there something else I can do?

Elrollo wrote: »
    Well lads,
    have had a problem with me old 60gb fat PS3, player Deus Ex recently and after about a year of having zero issues the game froze and after the game froze the PS3 now refuses to read any disc that I put in it, be the disc blu-ray, dvd, game disc or audio disc. Everything else works fine, internet/hdd stuff, just the disc reading. I'm just wondering will I have to shell out on a new disc drive or is there something else I can do?

Hi mate,
    Can you download apps like Vidzone and game demos and then run them from the HDD OK? On mine they install OK but then the black screen shows up and it goes no further :confused:

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi mate,
    Can you download apps like Vidzone and game demos and then run them from the HDD OK? On mine they install OK but then the black screen shows up and it goes no further :confused:

Cheers,
    M
    Aye mine works fine like that, the oul girl just won't read discs, its a perfectly good machine, just needs a new disc drive I'd reckon, just wondering if there might be a more simple method of sorting the machine out rather than going down the road of replacing things in it.

• Advertisement

Elrollo wrote: »
    Aye mine works fine like that, the oul girl just won't read discs, its a perfectly good machine, just needs a new disc drive I'd reckon, just wondering if there might be a more simple method of sorting the machine out rather than going down the road of replacing things in it.

Lucky you mate! I have had two PS3's in the last few days with this issue where the Blu-ray drive is gone and I am cool with that but it freezes when I try to run anything I have downloaded etc.?? Have been unable to find anything online about it or people who have had a similar issue. I am starting to think it may be my television??

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

When playing tv shows on rte player on ps3 after about 15mins the tv screen dims. Think its some kind of power save or screen saver mechinism in ps3. How do i stop this from happening?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

givecredit wrote: »
    When playing tv shows on rte player on ps3 after about 15mins the tv screen dims. Think its some kind of power save or screen saver mechinism in ps3. How do i stop this from happening?

On XMB, Settings>Display Settings>Screensaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Do PS3 games bought on amazon.co.uk work here in Ireland? Just want to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

eroo wrote: »
    Do PS3 games bought on amazon.co.uk work here in Ireland? Just want to be sure!
    Yup. I almost always buy my PS3 games from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭wilser

sorry if this has already been asked,
    but can sterling psn cards be used on an irish psn account?
    thanks

wilser wrote: »
    sorry if this has already been asked,
    but can sterling psn cards be used on an irish psn account?
    thanks

No.
    But you can set up a uk account and whatever you buy will be available to all accounts on the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm in the kind of reverse boat to the above guy. My main account is a UK account but I have an Irish account on my machine as well. I don't have a UK card anymore but if I were to sign up to PS+ on my Irish account using my Irish card would there be any downside? I know the games can be used on all accounts but would other services (cloud saving and whatever else I'm not thinking of right now) be restricted to the Irish account?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm in the kind of reverse boat to the above guy. My main account is a UK account but I have an Irish account on my machine as well. I don't have a UK card anymore but if I were to sign up to PS+ on my Irish account using my Irish card would there be any downside? I know the games can be used on all accounts but would other services (cloud saving and whatever else I'm not thinking of right now) be restricted to the Irish account?

Your PS+ account gets all the benefits of PS+ - the rest of the accounts stay as they are.
    So your main account would gain nothing from PS+ - apart from the games as you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,352 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can anyone tell me the largest internal HDD currently available for the PS3?

My 320GB is filling up and deleting old demos etc seems like a bit of an exercise in futility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I was having a look at this yesterday - make sure to get the 9.5mm HDD but the largest was either 750MB or 1TB.

If you're storing videos on your PS3 I'd MUCH higher recommend getting an external hard drive instead. Far cheaper for more space. It just has to be formatted to FAT32 (so no files bigger than 4GB).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭wilser

Beefy78 wrote: »

PC world sell sterling psn cards,
    well the 1 in naas does if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 32 waclander

My ps3 has all of a sudden stopped connecting to internet keep getting a 8001000a error i'm connected wirelessly and with eircom I recently change the nat type to 1 would this have had anything to do with it

Hi guys.
    I'm just after backing up my HD because I want to format it. I've been having problems playing blue rays. There are 2 options a quick format or a long one. It says the long one will take approximately 28 hours. This seems an inordinate amount of time to do ANYTHING! Let alone format a HD. Will the short format do what I need?

Hi guys.
    I'm just after backing up my HD because I want to format it. I've been having problems playing blue rays. There are 2 options a quick format or a long one. It says the long one will take approximately 28 hours. This seems an inordinate amount of time to do ANYTHING! Let alone format a HD. Will the short format do what I need?

Try it, if it works - :D.
    If not, do the long format.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Hi guys.

Try it, if it works - :D.
    If not, do the long format.
    Well I can't really argue with that can I? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Old PS3 has just given up the ghost and I've found out it's unrepairable.

Any suggestions on what to do with it or what can be done with it?

Chucking it for disposal seems an awful waste - is there anyone who could take it for parts, spares etc.

Not looking for cash - it just seems a terrible waste to bin it.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Old PS3 has just given up the ghost and I've found out it's unrepairable.

Any suggestions on what to do with it or what can be done with it?

Chucking it for disposal seems an awful waste - is there anyone who could take it for parts, spares etc.

Not looking for cash - it just seems a terrible waste to bin it.

Will it connect to the Internet OK and turn on OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

madmoe wrote: »
    Will it connect to the Internet OK and turn on OK?

No.

It caught the RLOD and apparently the motherboard is shagged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Not sure If this is a ps3 issue, blu ray or Surround sound but here i go.

I've got a samsung dvd theatre system connected to my ps3 through optical cable. Everything works fine on it but I tried to watch Inception on blu ray tonight and when it was audio english 1 there was no sound, however on 2 there was but this also had someone narrating, and spanish was fine.

On top of that the blu ray menu sound worked fine too, it's just the movie. I finally got it working by changing the BD audio output to linear but there is no surround sound.

Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisement