Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is it DTS HD on that track or an equivalent High end alternative, if so you revicer may not be capable of decoding it.

soundoutput003.jpg

Set only the required grey ones( no choice anyway) and PCM( assuming you meant linear/bitstream in your post rather than linear PCM).

EDIT:
    Inception

English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
    French: Dolby Digital 5.1
    Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
    Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1

Yea so i think i'm right spanish would work on most but you'll need to output PCM with the English track

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Varik wrote: »
    Is it DTS HD on that track or an equivalent High end alternative, if so you revicer may not be capable of decoding it.

soundoutput003.jpg

Set only the required grey ones( no choice anyway) and PCM( assuming you meant linear/bitstream in your post rather than linear PCM).

EDIT:
    Inception

English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
    French: Dolby Digital 5.1
    Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
    Portuguese: Dolby Digital 5.1

Yea so i think i'm right spanish would work on most but you'll need to output PCM with the English track

Thanks Varik, just wondering since I haven't selected Dolby or DTS in the Sound settings will that mean I won't get surround sound on my games?

The Blu Ray isn't in surround sound but at least I know why

edit: Discovered myself that they aren't.

I've just clicked them on again since I can't get the Surround Sound on the Blu Ray

tok9 wrote: »
    Thanks Varik, just wondering since I haven't selected Dolby or DTS in the Sound settings will that mean I won't get surround sound on my games?

The Blu Ray isn't in surround sound but at least I know why

edit: Discovered myself that they aren't.

I've just clicked them on again since I can't get the Surround Sound on the Blu Ray

It will still do surround, you can see it in the name Linear PCM 5.1

All outputting in PCM mean is that the PS3 decodes all the audio rather than having the receiver/player do it.

It should work with PCM in surround.

EDIT: you're using Optical, the only way to get the 5.1 PCM is via HDMI or 5.1 analog outs.

Sadly the DTS HD is becoming more common for Blu-rays and you'll probably need to do something about it sooner or later.
    You could get a new surround setup or or just get a normal receiver as long as the speakers use normal cables and not some proprietary thing .

A PS3 component cable is an other alternative and probably the cheapest thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Hi there,

I have a ps3 issue that someone can help me out with. My ps3 is connected up to my tv via hdmi. However I have a micro hi fi system that has an optical port at the back. I want to have sound coming out of my hi fi system too when i am playing games on the ps3. I connected the ps3 to the micro hi fi via optical cable and went into audio settings on the ps3 menu but I still can't get sound to the hi fi. Anyone got suggestions that I should try.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Hi folks,i have fixed the YLOD on my Fat 40Gig PS3 but the clock and date won't stay on after powering back up,needs to be constantly redone.
    Whilst reassembling the Lithium battery seemed quite loose so i took it all back apart today and fixed it better in with a touch of adhesive,it was snug and the + was the right way round and still no joy,doesn't bother me too much just takes so long to take it all apart and put it back and i was sure i had it this time,could it be expired as the console was not used in 5 or so months and she is pushing on the years,4 now.
    What is the expected lifespan of one of the Lithium batteries?
    Might have to take it apart again next week,third week in a row and try a replacement!
    It is the open slotted version not the little pack with a plug/clip.
    On the upper side it is working 100% again one week on from reflowing :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

I had a quick look through the thread and can't see my situation covered in much detail. It's a network issue.

I have NAT type 2, Belkin router connected to UPC which ranges from 13-23Mbps (supposed to be 25). I also have my PS3 set up as a static IP in a DMZ in my router. As a result, COD Black Ops firewall status is 'open'. Grand. Except FIFA12 (like previous versions) is 'restrictive'.

I have UpNp enabled on both devices, however when I test this on my PS3 it comes up as not found. The DL speed when I carry out a test on my PS3 is usually less than laptop (both wireless), usually 5Mbps (ish). Maybe my internet connection is unreliable?

The main problem as far as Black Ops is concerned is the PSN. The connection just drops randomly. Maybe this is related to me not being able to connect to the EA servers? (I rarely am able to).

I tried changing the MTU from automatic to 1492, and I have disabled media servers. I also tried messing around with different DNS addresses.

This post is my last hope. Please help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

frankled wrote: »
    I had a quick look through the thread and can't see my situation covered in much detail. It's a network issue.

I have NAT type 2, Belkin router connected to UPC which ranges from 13-23Mbps (supposed to be 25). I also have my PS3 set up as a static IP in a DMZ in my router. As a result, COD Black Ops firewall status is 'open'. Grand. Except FIFA12 (like previous versions) is 'restrictive'.

I have UpNp enabled on both devices, however when I test this on my PS3 it comes up as not found. The DL speed when I carry out a test on my PS3 is usually less than laptop (both wireless), usually 5Mbps (ish). Maybe my internet connection is unreliable?

The main problem as far as Black Ops is concerned is the PSN. The connection just drops randomly. Maybe this is related to me not being able to connect to the EA servers? (I rarely am able to).

I tried changing the MTU from automatic to 1492, and I have disabled media servers. I also tried messing around with different DNS addresses.

This post is my last hope. Please help :(
    Is using a cable out of the question for you? Because that should solve all your problems.

Is using a cable out of the question for you? Because that should solve all your problems.

More or less, yes. It would be a big job if necessary so I'm hoping it won't come to that. I mean, the connection is mostly good, as is the router (I would imagine). So I hope it's fixable.

1609313413.png

With the above results I feel I should have an excellent connection... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

frankled wrote: »
    More or less, yes. It would be a big job if necessary so I'm hoping it won't come to that. I mean, the connection is mostly good, as is the router (I would imagine). So I hope it's fixable.

1609313413.png

With the above results I feel I should have an excellent connection... :(
    The UPC router can be a bit weird when it comes to a wireless connection. For some reason I cant stream video (using TVersity) to my PS3 via wireless with it. I used to be able to do it with my older router. Using a wire sorted it out for me, but then again, I have the ability to use it unlike yourself.

The UPC router can be a bit weird when it comes to a wireless connection. For some reason I cant stream video (using TVersity) to my PS3 via wireless with it. I used to be able to do it with my older router. Using a wire sorted it out for me, but then again, I have the ability to use it unlike yourself.

Well the router itself is Belkin, the modem is UPC. Although streaming was never great either (got an external HD in the end). Thanks for the help though. Any idea what DNS and MTU settings are and what they should be?

• Advertisement

My best guess is that it's something got to do with UpNp... Anybody know how to get this set to 'enabled' when the PS3 tests for it? It is set to be enabled on both the PS3 and router. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

My PS3 got the YLOD at the start of the year. I replaced it with a 'slim'. Now this week, the slim has started to make a pretty loud noise when I turn it on if it happens to have a disc in the drive, although the noise stops after a few seconds.

I'm presuming that this is a bad sign.

My problem is that I bought the machine in the UK. It's still within warranty so will I be able to return it to Sony over here or will I need to go back to the retailer?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Beefy78 wrote: »
    My PS3 got the YLOD at the start of the year. I replaced it with a 'slim'. Now this week, the slim has started to make a pretty loud noise when I turn it on if it happens to have a disc in the drive, although the noise stops after a few seconds.

I'm presuming that this is a bad sign.

My problem is that I bought the machine in the UK. It's still within warranty so will I be able to return it to Sony over here or will I need to go back to the retailer?

Your contract is with the retailer.
    You should bring it back to them as you are still within your warranty period.
    I can't see Sony doing anything for you. No harm in giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

has a quick question im hopping someone can answer. my ps3 is connected via wireless to 3 router.(b260a) she is running a nat type 2. does anybody know how to make it a nat 1 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

has a quick question im hopping someone can answer. my ps3 is connected via wireless to 3 router.(b260a) she is running a nat type 2. does anybody know how to make it a nat 1 ??

NAT 2 is what you want. Don't expect anywhere near perfect internet with ANY mobile provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭ConorBF1

Anyone know how much Xtra Vision will offer for a 60GB PS3 with MW3? Probably not much as it's so old.

I'd say I would be better off going to eBay, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

Have a look on Adverts.ie and see if any similar models are being sold.it will give you a rough idea on how much you could expect to get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

ConorBF1 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much Xtra Vision will offer for a 60GB PS3 with MW3? Probably not much as it's so old.

I'd say I would be better off going to eBay, yeah?

If it's one of the original ones that plays ps1 games you might get a decent price alright selling it privately on ebay/adverts.

rickyjb wrote: »
    If it's one of the original ones that plays ps1 games you might get a decent price alright selling it privately on ebay/adverts.

Yeah, it's a launch-day 60GB PS3. Plays PS1 and PS2 games.

Tried to list it on eBay, but I don't have a credit card so it won't let me.

ConorBF1 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a launch-day 60GB PS3. Plays PS1 and PS2 games.

Tried to list it on eBay, but I don't have a credit card so it won't let me.

set up pay pal

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    set up pay pal

I have a Paypal account... but it keeps asking me for a credit card before I can list any items for auction.

Doesn't matter now though. I've sorted out some money. I'm keeping my PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

PS3 has gone YLOD. 2 years plus bought in the UK along with lost reciept so not much chance of a warrenty repair. Was at GMS solutions looking into a repair. 85e he reckons will sort it. What is the prognosis like for after this? Was really suprised to see the amount of slims he had in to get repaired. Would I be better off going for a new one? Do slims still play PS one games?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

amjon. wrote: »
    PS3 has gone YLOD. 2 years plus bought in the UK along with lost reciept so not much chance of a warrenty repair. Was at GMS solutions looking into a repair. 85e he reckons will sort it. What is the prognosis like for after this? Was really suprised to see the amount of slims he had in to get repaired. Would I be better off going for a new one?

If bought with a card, you have got proof of purchase.
    €85 seems cheap enough.
    Depends on how they repair it, reball = good, reflow = not so good.
    amjon. wrote: »
    Do slims still play PS one games?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

Hi

I recently bought a brand spanking new PS3 Slim 160 GB. Its a great system though only 1 issue with it - It won't play some PS1 games properly.

I bought both Tomb Raider 1 & 2 off of e-bay last week, while Tomb Raider 1 plays fine with no glitches, Tomb Raider 2 will load the main menu screen but when I select a new game it will just go black screen, and will not load the game itself. There are no sign scratches on the TR2 disc.

Has anyone encountered this problem and overcome it? Can anyone give me a tip that might solve this problem.

I don't know if there is anything you can do, to be honest. I was under the impression that only the original PS3s can play PS1 and PS2 games, but that's obviously not the case.

I think some games just work perfectly and other don't. I don't think you can do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Well lads i turned on my ps3 today to be greeted by a message saying "Hard disk corrupted and must be restored. I have tried that several times as it freezes at 0%, once it got to 48% and froze. Has anyone had this issue before?

Forced to restore the system, ah well at least its working so far

RangeR wrote: »
    NAT 2 is what you want. Don't expect anywhere near perfect internet with ANY mobile provider.

my problem is the ea servers. i thinking i need it to be open coz im always getting disconnected on ea games. fifa and need for speed. its highly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

my problem is the ea servers. i thinking i need it to be open coz im always getting disconnected on ea games. fifa and need for speed. its highly annoying.

Nope. Your problem is that you are using 3 internet and thinking it's broadband :)

RangeR wrote: »
    Nope. Your problem is that you are using 3 internet and thinking it's broadband :)

its faster then eircom in my area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

its faster then eircom in my area
    Have a read of this and this. That should explain what RangeR meant.

Advertisement