Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Malice wrote: »
    Have a read of this and this. That should explain what RangeR meant.

read them and im aware of the issues surrounding them. but as i pointed out its faster then eircom in my area :D i only have issues with fifa and need for speed. every other game online i have a perfect connection. alot of my friends use 3 and 02 and even they have qucik speeds so the idea that midband doesn't work for online gaming is a load of crap reali.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

so the idea that midband doesn't work for online gaming is a load of crap reali.
    Em, it's not really a load of crap if your (midband) 3 dongle isn't working for you, now is it? It can work but obviously isn't working properly in your case.

Em, it's not really a load of crap if your (midband) 3 dongle isn't working for you, now is it? It can work but obviously isn't working properly in your case.

it not a dongle. its a router :) :P yea but i don't its to with 3 unless i have to open ports or something? honestly im hitting good speeds. the best i managed was 6mb download wit a 1.96mb upload. but normally i get 3mb download with 1.34mb upload. it cant be down to 3 surely. i know lads on eircom and ntl. (speeds twice then i have because there in a city) and even they have problems with ea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

it not a dongle. its a router :) :P yea but i don't its to with 3 unless i have to open ports or something? honestly im hitting good speeds. the best i managed was 6mb download wit a 1.96mb upload. but normally i get 3mb download with 1.34mb upload. it cant be down to 3 surely. i know lads on eircom and ntl. (speeds twice then i have because there in a city) and even they have problems with ea

It doesn't matter if it's a dongle or router, whether it's slow or fast. Speed is irrelevant.

The midband technology doesn't lend itself well to gaming. End of.

RangeR wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if it's a dongle or router, whether it's slow or fast. Speed is irrelevant.

The midband technology doesn't lend itself well to gaming. End of.

well that just makes no sense if it lend itslef to gaming why does it work for everything bar ea games.
    i can can play fifa matches no problem with no skipping online same as nfs but online im playin an online match, i will get disconnected from ea servers. not once do any other game lag thats including battlefield 3 men of honor black ops mw2 and 3. f1 games wrestling games so the idea it dont work is rubbish.

• Advertisement

well that just makes no sense if it lend itslef to gaming why does it work for everything bar ea games.
    i can can play fifa matches no problem with no skipping online same as nfs but online im playin an online match, i will get disconnected from ea servers. not once do any other game lag thats including battlefield 3 men of honor black ops mw2 and 3. f1 games wrestling games so the idea it dont work is rubbish.
    You seem to be assuming that the disconnection is related to lag. It sounds as thought the 3 router isnt able to configure itself/provide the type of connection that the EA servers require.

You seem to be assuming that the disconnection is related to lag. It sounds as thought the 3 router isnt able to configure itself/provide the type of connection that the EA servers require.

i dont know about lag tbh. im running a nat 2. what bout port forwarding?? would that the trick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AlanC275

Hello! Was just wondering could anyone give me some advice.
    I am currently with Eircom but I am thinking of changing to UPC.
    I have two questions, firstly is there any problems when it comes to downloading movies/music (<SNIP>) secondly is there any problems when it comes to getting NAT Type 1 or 2 with ps3 for online gaming.

The reson I am thinking of changing is because for months I have had Type 1 with eircom from using custom settings and doing the PPPoE thing but now today for no reson it just wont obtain my ip adress.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

We don't discuss illegal activity on boards.ie
    AlanC275 wrote: »
    Hello! Was just wondering could anyone give me some advice.
    I am currently with Eircom but I am thinking of changing to UPC.
    I have two questions, firstly is there any problems when it comes to downloading movies/music (<SNIP>) secondly is there any problems when it comes to getting NAT Type 1 or 2 with ps3 for online gaming.

The reson I am thinking of changing is because for months I have had Type 1 with eircom from using custom settings and doing the PPPoE thing but now today for no reson it just wont obtain my ip adress.

I'm with UPC and have NAT 2 from normal setup. No problems with gaming or streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

AlanC275 wrote: »

Could have just changed the router.

UPC is better most of the time anyway.

• Advertisement

Hey I'm going to Japan for a bit and want to know: Can I put my HDD into a Japanese PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hey I'm going to Japan for a bit and want to know: Can I put my HDD into a Japanese PS3?

Nothing will be accessible off the HDD in a new PS3 as it's encrypted to the PS3 is was used in, a new PS3 will format the HDD and then be usable but without any of the previous content.

Or is there another reason other than keeping you saves/games that you'd like to use the old HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

KeithM89 wrote: »
    When starting it up, hold down the power button for about 10 secs so it switches to from HD to SD - should work :)

I take it you do the same thing to reverse the process when using the PS3 on a HD tv again?

I take it you do the same thing to reverse the process when using the PS3 on a HD tv again?

You assume wrong. Going back to HDMI, PS3 just works. It gives you two confirmation screens asking what resolution you want, etc.

No holding the power button down on boot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Anyone get play tv working since that update ages ago?
    Still crashing on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin which sells UK PSN cards? I want to sign up to PS+ but through my UK account rather than my Irish account.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin which sells UK PSN cards? I want to sign up to PS+ but through my UK account rather than my Irish account.
    tried ebay? Cant imagine you'll find anyone selling £ PSN cards in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

No I can't imagine I would either but I seem to recall hearing something about one of the big chains (PC World?) selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Was playing Skyrim earlier and the system just shut off. There's a red light blinking now. This is bad, I can only assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Got a DNLA Protocol Error last night whilst downloading the latest Battlefield 3 Patch. Anyone know what this is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was wondering, is there a thread that I just can't find with information on hard drives for PS3? I bought the Ico and Sly collections off PSN recently and so when I download them I would rather keep them on my hard drive so just want to upgrade my 120GB drive. And then maybe just use that one then in my PC.

So was just looking for info such as drives that can be used, maximum size, best place to get them.

Any help would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gilbertotron

Hey Troy, yeah i dont know about transfering games but you can transfer saves and **** pretty easily onto an external HDD and then just copy em back to your machine when you install the new HDD.
    I upgraded my PS3 60gig console to a 200gig HDD I took out of my macbook pro and it worked fine. I'm pretty sure you can use any 2.5" HDD in there. I've seen people with 500gig HDD in there PS3 so I think your budget is the only limitation to size.
    As for where to get them you could try komplett.ie
    I haven't used them in awhile but I used to buy a lot of components from them when I was a PC user.
    Hope that helps.

Cool! Thanks. Will keep an eye out for a decent one. Be better to upgrade sooner, before I download the rest of the games then, just in case I can't copy them across

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Cool! Thanks. Will keep an eye out for a decent one. Be better to upgrade sooner, before I download the rest of the games then, just in case I can't copy them across

Any 2.5mm HD that is no thicker than 9mm will do.
    Just on the games you download, if you go back into the PSN store, you can re-download anything you bought, anytime you want.
    Once you put that HD into a PC, I don't think you can transfer anything over.

Yeah, I knew I could download anytime, it's more that I don't fancy downloading Shadow of the Colossus or Sly 3 more than once considering the size of them. Don't think Smart would be too happy. :)
    Was reading up on how to do it, so it's a case of tranferring the contents of the current drive to an external drive, installing the new drive and copying back on to that one.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Any 2.5mm HD will do.

Negatory. There are "some" tall 2.5 HDD's. Tall ones won't fit. I believe it has to be about 9mm high at most, to fit the PS3. I believe the first 1TB 2.5 HDD's were in the region of 12mm and just wouldn't go in.

I also believe that there are now some 1TB 9mm 2.5mm HDD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I went to buy " I am Alive " last night and got the usual, thank you for your purchase, download now to play.

The thing is when I go to download it, it gives me a version that reads only 6Kbs. I've received the e-mail from the Store saying I've purchased the game but it isnt showing up anywhere on the XMB.

The trial version can be download, its something like 1960MB, but I cant seem to find the full game I downloaded. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

gavredking wrote: »
    I went to buy " I am Alive " last night and got the usual, thank you for your purchase, download now to play.

The thing is when I go to download it, it gives me a version that reads only 6Kbs. I've received the e-mail from the Store saying I've purchased the game but it isnt showing up anywhere on the XMB.

The trial version can be download, its something like 1960MB, but I cant seem to find the full game I downloaded. :confused:

Same with me man :o You have to download the trial version and then that 6kb file unlocks the full game. Brilliant game!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Same with me man :o You have to download the trial version and then that 6kb file unlocks the full game. Brilliant game!

I was thinking that alright but t jsut didnt make sense to me at the time. :o

Cool, I'll download the trial after work anyway and hoping to get some hours in over the Bank Holiday, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »

Yeah, a lot of PSN games are like this now. However, when you purchase the unlock, it usually gives you both the unlock AND the trial to download on the final DL screen.

Maybe Sony haven't implemented that for all Trial Unlocks.

Advertisement