Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Tx loads for the come back lads. That slim one in HMV if I can get it for that price sounds like a runner. Esp like u say you are getting the warranty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Tx loads for the come back lads. That slim one in HMV if I can get it for that price sounds like a runner. Esp like u say you are getting the warranty etc.

Also with HMV, if you get a game free in a PS3 bundle, but you don't want the game, you can trade it straight in against the purchase to get money off the PS3. I did that with COD Black Ops, got 30 euro straight off, was handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've managed to get my PS3 online recently using my laptop, an ethernet cable and a 3 dongle. At first, I had only planned to use it for DLC and such. Multiplayer didn't really interest me and I didn't think the 3 connection would be strong enough for a decent level of play but I've played a few FIFA 12 matches to test it out and the connection seems fine, little to no slowdown although it did disconnect once. What I'm wondering is, does playing online eat through the MB's and GB's. I get a 20GB top up every month and although I don't plan on playing FIFA online everyday, I'm just wondering how much data would, say, one online match consume? I understand there isn't a strict figure but does anyone have a rough estimate?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

J. Marston wrote: »
    I've managed to get my PS3 online recently using my laptop, an ethernet cable and a 3 dongle. At first, I had only planned to use it for DLC and such. Multiplayer didn't really interest me and I didn't think the 3 connection would be strong enough for a decent level of play but I've played a few FIFA 12 matches to test it out and the connection seems fine, little to no slowdown although it did disconnect once. What I'm wondering is, does playing online eat through the MB's and GB's. I get a 20GB top up every month and although I don't plan on playing FIFA online everyday, I'm just wondering how much data would, say, one online match consume? I understand there isn't a strict figure but does anyone have a rough estimate?

Thanks.

It REALLY depends on the game you are playing. If you are connecting through your lappy, install DUMeter. That will give you an almost instant indication.

Leave it running for an hour while you are playing online. there is VERY ROUGHLY your hourly usage, playing online.

That value will also include whatever the lappy is doing but it's a good indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It eats up next to nothing of your usage, in my experience. I'd play online a lot through a dongle when I had a 15GB limit with Meteor and I rarely used 5GB of my usage.

Where it's no good is downloading patches and updates. It's really slow and that can murder your data allowance.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    It REALLY depends on the game you are playing. If you are connecting through your lappy, install DUMeter. That will give you an almost instant indication.

Leave it running for an hour while you are playing online. there is VERY ROUGHLY your hourly usage, playing online.

That value will also include whatever the lappy is doing but it's a good indication.
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    It eats up next to nothing of your usage, in my experience. I'd play online a lot through a dongle when I had a 15GB limit with Meteor and I rarely used 5GB of my usage.

Where it's no good is downloading patches and updates. It's really slow and that can murder your data allowance.

Thanks for the quick answers. Yeah, the downloading is very slow. I downloaded the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut the other day (1.8GB) and it took well over 3 hours for it to finish but it's good to know that it doesn't eat up too much when you're actually playing. Will take a look at that DUMeter thing, cheers.

Downloaded the Du meter thing and played an hour of FIFA 12 ultimate team, 2 matches online with some squad stuff in between matches. The Du meter clocked in at 13MB's which doesn't seem too bad so thanks again for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭mps oshea

When I try to do a system update it goes to about 50% and stops due to error 8002F1F9. this happened for the first 3 or 4 times and then it gave me some Suggested actions i should try. none of them work and now everytime i turn on my ps3 it goes straight to the system update. anybody know what is happening? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Have you recently intalled a new HDD?This can cause an update loop apparently.

mps oshea wrote: »
    When I try to do a system update it goes to about 50% and stops due to error 8002F1F9. this happened for the first 3 or 4 times and then it gave me some Suggested actions i should try. none of them work and now everytime i turn on my ps3 it goes straight to the system update. anybody know what is happening? thanks

Download the latest firmware to a USB stick, from your PC or lappy. Update your system software from said USB stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Download the latest firmware to a USB stick, from your PC or lappy. Update your system software from said USB stick.

Place the file into the following folder structure: PS3 - UPDATE - PS3UPDAT.PUP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

I have a PS3 60gb launch model that suffered from the YLOD, it's been gathering dust in a box for 3 years (ish). Is there any solution for this problem yet? Or does anyone know who might be able to fix it. I'm curious mainly because it feels like a waste of a console just sitting there.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Check youtube for videos,it's do-able but if your not comfortable with trying yourself, theres plenty of places that fix them ranging around 50-100 euro,sony charge probably twice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Has anyone else been getting trouble with SEN lately, the chat rooms dies and kick everyone out and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭GlennGeo

Hi Guys!

Im really hoping someone here can help me out. I bought a ps3 today brand new and iv been sitting here for 12 hours trying to access the PSN. . Im trying to log in to an account I had before . but everything seems to be loading real slow and eventually I get told that the server conection has been lost .

Any help would be fantastic

Cheers
    Glenn

Do you have internet issues with anything else in your house / apartment? Can you surf on your pc/laptop.
    Who is your broadband provider. If it's mobile internet, don't come back and say you have mobile broadband or I won't be back :)

Hi guys, got the PS3 and got an additional controller with it. It is a Polaroid. I can get it to the point that the USB receiver can see it (solid LED) but when I press PS nothing is happening. Anyone hear of issues with the Polaroid controller?

Also, after a week or so there seems to be an issue with the PS3 video showing on the TV. Either the TV doesn't recognise that the PS3 is connected and switched on or it does but the screen flicks on and off. It is as if the HDMI cable is being disturbed but it isn't. I've tried another HDMI cable too and moved port on the TV, but the issue remains. Sounds like an issue with the HDMI socket on the PS3 no?

Tks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Hi guys, got the PS3 and got an additional controller with it. It is a Polaroid. I can get it to the point that the USB receiver can see it (solid LED) but when I press PS nothing is happening. Anyone hear of issues with the Polaroid controller?

I have never trusted third-party controllers for this very reason. There is simply no guarantee with them.

I don't have any experience with Polaroid controllers myself. Sorry I can't help more.
    Also, after a week or so there seems to be an issue with the PS3 video showing on the TV. Either the TV doesn't recognise that the PS3 is connected and switched on or it does but the screen flicks on and off. It is as if the HDMI cable is being disturbed but it isn't. I've tried another HDMI cable too and moved port on the TV, but the issue remains. Sounds like an issue with the HDMI socket on the PS3 no?

Firstly, can you check the HDMI ports on your TV with another device? Like a different Blu-Ray player or a laptop and see if it works? That should rule out the TV as the issue then.

Also try connecting the PS3 to another TV and see if the same issue arises. If it is the PS3 in the end, take it back to the shop for a replacement.

Otacon wrote: »
    I have never trusted third-party controllers for this very reason. There is simply no guarantee with them.

I don't have any experience with Polaroid controllers myself. Sorry I can't help more.

Firstly, can you check the HDMI ports on your TV with another device? Like a different Blu-Ray player or a laptop and see if it works? That should rule out the TV as the issue then.

Also try connecting the PS3 to another TV and see if the same issue arises. If it is the PS3 in the end, take it back to the shop for a replacement.
    Tks so much. I'll try and eliminate the TV from the equation like you said. Interesting ref the 3rd party controller thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Tks in advance.

There's also this possible fix. I had a similar issue and after looking online for a while I found this.
    Go to Settings > Display Settings > Deep Color output (HDMI) and turn it off.

• Advertisement

No issues with anything else on the internet laptop ect is working fine. . I have UPC broadband 25mb and a NETGEAR modem. . When I try sign in to PSN I get told that I have been disconnected and that this is a DNS error ?

Thanks
    Glenn

On the PS3

Settings -> Network Settings -> Internet Connection Test

Report back

Obtain Ip Address failed

Internet Connection -

Thats all thats appearing .

Rang UPC and they are usless

Wired or WIFI from router to PS3?
    If WIFI, you're credentials are probably wrong. OR You are using 802.11n exclusively. PS3 does 802.11g.

If Wired, check that the wire is actually in. If not, golly...

Using wirless .

Any idea how i can find out if its 802.11n ? and how i can resolve this ?

Thanks
    Glenn

GlennGeo wrote: »
    Using wirless .

Thanks
    Glenn
    This is unlikely. 99% it's wrong username or password for wifi. Reconfirm.

This is not a upc issue. They wont help you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

This is unlikely. 99% it's wrong username or password for wifi. Reconfirm.

This is not a upc issue. They wont help you.

He wouldn't even get to the internet connection test without putting in the right P/W.
    GlennGeo wrote: »
    Using wirless .

Thanks
    Glenn

Can you try to connect to it wired?

F1ngers wrote: »

He wouldn't even get to the internet connection test without putting in the right P/W.
    Of course he will. He will also get a failure to obtain ip address. Which he IS getting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Of course he will. He will also get a failure to obtain ip address. Which he IS getting.

I just assumed he couldn't get a connection to do the test if he can't connect to the router.
    Didn't check it out myself.

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    I just assumed he couldn't get a connection to do the test if he can't connect to the router.
    Didn't check it out myself.

:) Checked it this morning before I left for work, when I saw your post. I put in the wrong WIFI password and saved it.

Internet Connection Test tries for about 30 seconds to establish a conenction to the AP. Just above "Obtaining IP Address" you can see something like "Trying to establish connection" and/or "Trying to swap keys".

After 30 seconds "Obtaining IP Address" gets marked as Failed.

OP, is this what you are seeing?

Advertisement