Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Das89

Hello,
    I was wondering if someone can help me. I recently went back online yesterday after few weeks off. And I was asked to update my system to OFW 4.21. However since updating my ps3 has been acting up. I don’t know why, but I have been trying to reinstall the update through both internet and usb. But I keep getting the message that my system is up to date.
    Is there a way to bypass this and re-install the OFW, or will I have to wait for 4.22 update to be released?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

In what way is it acting up?

It freezes when play certain games and won’t access some online features or recognise online passes and there may have been a corruption with the update I downloaded, as I downloaded it by PC. Just need to reinstall the update but keeps saying that it is up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Dead Space 2 install error after download from 3 mobile BB
    Hi,

I downloaded Deadspace and getting an error 80029564 when trying to install. PSN support weren't much help saying to re download it. Tried this (bearing in mind it takes about 3 days to download 11gb on my connection) and still getting the same error.

They say cant help trouble shoot the issue with a 3g connection. Downloaded lots of stuff in the past number of month using the same connection and no problems. Anyone have any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi,

You may have not paused the download when turning off the PS3, as this has happened to me before using a three BB. The file becomes corrupted and won't install.

I hope this is your problem.

• Advertisement

Das89 wrote: »
    Hi,

You may have not paused the download when turning off the PS3, as this has happened to me before using a three BB. The file becomes corrupted and won't install.

I hope this is your problem.

Could be it although i have downloaded files previously and never paused them when powering off ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Honestly, (and although not on 3g) I would have thought it an instant no-no to turn the PS3 (or a PC for that matter) off in the middle of an ongoing download.

Why didn't you just use the 'tell system to turn off when download finishes' option.

noodler wrote: »
    Honestly, (and although not on 3g) I would have thought it an instant no-no to turn the PS3 (or a PC for that matter) off in the middle of an ongoing download.

Why didn't you just use the 'tell system to turn off when download finishes' option.

Its a 3g connection. Looking at least 24hrs to download 11gb if not more. Wouldn't like to leave ps3 on that long

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Could be it although i have downloaded files previously and never paused them when powering off ps3
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    Its a 3g connection. Looking at least 24hrs to download 11gb if not more. Wouldn't like to leave ps3 on that long

I have had to do so many times in the past for a bunch of qeued downloads but particularly with hard-drive back ups (near full 320GB drive).

I would have said a PS3 is at its warmest when a disc is in the machine and doing very little when simply downloading so I really wouldn;t worry about that (leave a window open for example).

The bigger concern is your connection but I guess you have no choice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TralalaJr

Hi, could someone point me in the direction of a step by step dummies guide to setting up a PS3 media server so I can watch videos off of my laptop via the PS3. I've been googling around and nothing makes sense to me. The laptop is running XP, I've a wireless internet connection with UPC and the PS3 is the slim model. From the main menu of the PS3 when I search for media servers another laptop in the household comes up which I assume means that something somewhere is connected correctly. I'm just totally stumped as to how I set my laptop to get it working. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

TralalaJr wrote: »
    Hi, could someone point me in the direction of a step by step dummies guide to setting up a PS3 media server so I can watch videos off of my laptop via the PS3. I've been googling around and nothing makes sense to me. The laptop is running XP, I've a wireless internet connection with UPC and the PS3 is the slim model. From the main menu of the PS3 when I search for media servers another laptop in the household comes up which I assume means that something somewhere is connected correctly. I'm just totally stumped as to how I set my laptop to get it working. Thanks.

First things first. Perform an "Internet Connection Test" on your PS3. If you are on NAT3 or NAT1, then we have to fix that. NAT1 not so much but it's not desired.

Other than that, there is nothing for your PS3 to do. We may have to configure some things on your laptop. If you can, put either your PS3 or laptop on wired connection. It will be better if they are both wired. Media viewing will work over wireless but experience tells me that you will get the odd pause while watching movies, especially HD movies or heavy action scenes.

RangeR wrote: »
    First things first. Perform an "Internet Connection Test" on your PS3. If you are on NAT3 or NAT1, then we have to fix that. NAT1 not so much but it's not desired.

Other than that, there is nothing for your PS3 to do. We may have to configure some things on your laptop. If you can, put either your PS3 or laptop on wired connection. It will be better if they are both wired. Media viewing will work over wireless but experience tells me that you will get the odd pause while watching movies, especially HD movies or heavy action scenes.
    Thanks for the reply. The PS3 is NAT2. A wired connection is not really an option atm but I'd just like to get it working on the wireless first if nothing but to see how it goes because I've never done it before.

What programme if any do I need to download to my laptop?

Windows media player will do. Just add everything to the library. Have a look at tversity. Also most external hard drives will just be seen by the ps3 if its dlna compliant.

I downloaded PS3 Media Server to my laptop and to my amazement everything worked pretty much straight away. Thanks.

I see what you mean about HD content not really working too well over the wireless. It also doesn't help that my laptop is <2.Ghz but for standard definition stuff or smaller HD files it seems to be working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Hi lads, quick question for ye, i have an orb gp1 headset for the ps3, and while it plays the sound fine there is a buzz like reverb when i go to do anything to do with chat. It is set up as follows- ps3 hdmi out to tv, the headset is connected to the av out cable from the ps3 via red/white rca. According to the digram it looks like the rca extension cable is supposed to connect to the tv but thats not really an option, however i have the xbox version of this headset and there is no need to have it connected to the tv. Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

ure getting feedback off the component cable.. is it white red yellow? and ure using white n red.. so yellow is just hanging??

i dont know the headset ure talking about but try set it up in a different way.... usb? optical? through the tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Hi lads,
    I bought a PS3 in GAME last christmas, my PS3 was freezing the odd time since then but now 3 or 4 times it's just blacked out, still works fine most of the time but I'd like to get it sorted. I bought the 2 year 'insurance' from GAME because my last PS3 broke before.

Do I just have to hope it doesn't get any worse or is there anything I
    can actually do about it?

Is there a lot of dust and fluff around the grills?
    Give the grills a good vacuum [careful now]

When your PS3 is on, is it out in the open with a good 2 to 3 inches clear all around [other than what it's sitting on] or is it in a press of some sort?
    Is it sitting on hard surface or carpet/material?

Do you see where I'm going with this? It may be over heating. Is it getting VERY hot at the back, or anywhere, when this is happening?

When you say "blacks out" what colour is the power light. It's usually green for on or red for standby. Does it go red when it blacks out? Do you hear beeps when it blacks out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Is there a lot of dust and fluff around the grills?
    Give the grills a good vacuum [careful now]

When your PS3 is on, is it out in the open with a good 2 to 3 inches clear all around [other than what it's sitting on] or is it in a press of some sort?
    Is it sitting on hard surface or carpet/material?

Do you see where I'm going with this? It may be over heating. Is it getting VERY hot at the back, or anywhere, when this is happening?

When you say "blacks out" what colour is the power light. It's usually green for on or red for standby. Does it go red when it blacks out? Do you hear beeps when it blacks out?
    It froze the first and third times I ever put it on, it's consistently froze the odd time since. The black outs have only started recently but it just makes a funny noise, screen flashes brown and then it goes blank, the green light stays on so the only way to get it started again is to plug it out and in again.
    Do you think it's tough toilet because I got it in GAME or is there something I can do? I specifically bought it in a bricks and mortar place so I'd have a place to bring it.
    I'm super careful with it, it's elevated off the floor by PS3 boxes, there's nothing within half a foot of it on any side, hoover it frequently, wipe it down regularly, never let dust build up, play games just a few hours a week, never really session on it.
    I feel like it was goosed from the get go, regret not bringing it straight back day 1. I don't want to buy a 3rd PS3 like.

Is the store you purchased it from gone?
    Sounds like the unit is goosed.

You bought it last Christmas so it's still under warranty. If your GAME store is gone, try contact their head office. Other than that try contact Sony. However, Sony aren't obligated to do anything for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Is the store you purchased it from gone?
    Sounds like the unit is goosed.

You bought it last Christmas so it's still under warranty. If your GAME store is gone, try contact their head office. Other than that try contact Sony. However, Sony aren't obligated to do anything for you.

It's still within the 12month manufacturers warranty period, so Sony are obliged to honour the warranty. I would contact Sony directly and see what arrangements they have for repair/replacement under these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Hope this is the correct forum.

I had a netopia router with eircom (connected using the Carlow youtube video), but due to the router forever dropping signal and having to be reset I replaced it with a TP-Link TD-W8960N from powercity:

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-27-W8960N&brands=TPLINK

Tried to connect the PS3 to the new router with the same way as above but kept getting IP error so connected the quick way.

The problem is how slow it is (updating a 263 mb update for uncharted 3 and it is at 10% after 20 or so minutes)

So, just wondering is there a correct procedure for connecting a PS3 to these routers?

Thanks in advance.

Plascebo wrote: »
    Hope this is the correct forum.

I had a netopia router with eircom (connected using the Carlow youtube video), but due to the router forever dropping signal and having to be reset I replaced it with a TP-Link TD-W8960N from powercity:

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-27-W8960N&brands=TPLINK

Tried to connect the PS3 to the new router with the same way as above but kept getting IP error so connected the quick way.

The problem is how slow it is (updating a 263 mb update for uncharted 3 and it is at 10% after 20 or so minutes)

So, just wondering is there a correct procedure for connecting a PS3 to these routers?

Thanks in advance.

After 2 hours of downloading the 263 mb update I get error 80710723...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Plascebo wrote: »
    After 2 hours of downloading the 263 mb update I get error 80710723...
    80710723 - Possible Port Error - Try opening ports , TCP port: 80, 443, 5223 and UDP
    port: 3478, 3479, 3658. or add Ps3 to DMZ

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Technical/List-of-PS3-error-codes/td-p/6393592

F1ngers wrote: »

Cheers for that. When I googled the error code it brought me to the us.playstation forum, and no solution.

I have put the playstation in DMZ mode, so fingers crossed, don't know if I have to portforward as well, hope not due to my total ignorance on these things:o

Thanks again!!

You're problem is the ****e eircom router

You're problem is the ****e eircom router
    I replaced the netopia with a TP-Link TD-W8960N, my issue was with this new router??

Did you remove all messing with port forwarding and just enable uPNP? Forget DMZ.

-- Ignore everything I said.

Did you remove all messing with port forwarding and just enable uPNP? Forget DMZ.

-- Ignore everything I said.

Didn't go down the port forwarding route just yet. I had uPNP enabled but was getting the 80710723 error.

Ironically I had no issues with the netopia and PS3 by using the Keep it Cavan youtube guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just wondering, the Game Data folder's okay to delete stuff from? All the Saved games are in the Saved Game Data folder? So by deleting content from the Game Data folder, I'm just deleting installed content and patches?

Just looking to make more room on the hard drive, so figured would delete the games I'm not currently playing.

And on another note, is there a way to upload all my saved games to the cloud at once rather than going through and doing it individually?

Advertisement