Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Woke up today my ps3 keeps saying can't run system software over and over. So I had to follow on screen instructions and reformat the thing. I am nothing at the system update screen and its been stuck at 99%. I don't know what to know. Should I restart or keep waitng? Not the best time for it to break down.

what's worse is I got my ps3 last xmas so the year warranty just literally expired. Fun fun.

Now I'm getting serious error. 8002F281

I would really like some advice before I call them.

OK so I rang them, Thankfully im still under warrany but just. I have to wait till next month before they can pick it up.
    Not the best time for it to break. Cant play my new games. Only started Mass Effect last night. The trilogy box is just staring at me like an orphaned child. Happy Holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Follow up question. Now that they are sending me a replacement will it be a refurbished one or new? If it's refurbished I might just buy a new bigger hard drive. If that is the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm having trouble getting online with the PS3, can anyone help?

I was using my laptop, an ethernet cable and a 3 dongle and it was working perfectly for ages but I broke the dongle a couple of days ago, this one...

633126932788802918414837-70712-215_300.jpg

So I got a new one today, this one...

1315491010_244957646_2-NEW-DATA-STICK-LOW-RATE-IDEA-CCB-PCO-UNLOCK-ALL-INDIA-DATA-BASE-Morbi.jpg

But I just can't get online with the PS3 now. I've opened internet connection sharing and all that but it doesn't seem to do anything. Any help, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Can you ping your PS3? Your post is a little bare on detail.

RangeR wrote: »
    Can you ping your PS3? Your post is a little bare on detail.

How do I ping the PS3? When I try to sign in I get an error message...

''An error has occured. You have been signed out of Playstation Network (80710092)''

I went into network settings and ran an internet connection test but I get a message saying...

''The attempt to obtain an IP address timed out.''

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    ''The attempt to obtain an IP address timed out.''

The problem is on yer lappy. Double check your internet connection sharing.

The problem is on yer lappy. Double check your internet connection sharing.

I've double, triple and quadruple checked the laptop. I dunno, it's got me stumped anyway.

It shouldn't be this awkward to get online :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »

Look closely on the PS3 internet connection test screen. It CLEARLY states that the figures are not accurate and only indicative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,352 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its just PSN caps - it has to be.

Left my PS3 on all last night to download and when I woke up it had only downloaded under 3GB.

This is despite a 50mbs UPC connection.

It got a faster this afternoon (about 1/2mb per second) but still way below what I would expect.

Is PS+ really faster download speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Gomer Pyle

Swappig out my HDD and need use the utiliy backup.

The only external drive I have big enough to facilitate is NTFS.
    (I've deleted as much as I can)

Is there an easy way to partition the external, convert one part to phat32, and not format the other partition.

Tried google, but can't find confirmation that the whole drive won't be formatted.

Any help or advise appericated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

jaxdasher wrote: »
    what's worse is I got my ps3 last xmas so the year warranty just literally expired. Fun fun.

Now I'm getting serious error. 8002F281

I would really like some advice before I call them.

OK so I rang them, Thankfully im still under warrany but just. I have to wait till next month before they can pick it up.
    Not the best time for it to break. Cant play my new games. Only started Mass Effect last night. The trilogy box is just staring at me like an orphaned child. Happy Holidays
    It may be worth your time to have a look through this thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795516

Gomer Pyle wrote: »
    Swappig out my HDD and need use the utiliy backup.

The only external drive I have big enough to facilitate is NTFS.
    (I've deleted as much as I can)

Is there an easy way to partition the external, convert one part to phat32, and not format the other partition.

Tried google, but can't find confirmation that the whole drive won't be formatted.

Any help or advise appericated

Convert your NTFS partition to FAT32. For this you will need third party software. Windows has an artificial limit of 32GB on FAT32 partitions.

If you can find Partition Magic [now discontinued] you are gravy.
    Otherwise you maybe able to use [and I never have] GParted, EaseUS or other

PS3 Backup is all or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Hi all,

Just a quick one, I keep wondering about this, I'm in Oz now and I got a PS3 for xmas, will that work back home if I just get a figure 8 power lead? Also is Blu ray region free so would my games be good to keep?

Cheers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Also is Blu ray region free so would my games be good to keep?

Cheers

All the games/blu-rays you bought in Oz will work on your Oz PS3.
    Just because you plug it in over here, doesn't make it Irish. :p

Open to correction here, but I believe Oz is in the same region as Ireland when it comes to blu-ray/dvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

hi have an old 40GB ps3 with a faulty blu ray drive, everything else is fine .
    if i go on ebay or somewhere similar how do i know if the new BR drive will be compatable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Australia is Region 4 so any region-locked Blu-Rays won't work on a Region 2 PS3. That said, most Blu-Rays aren't region-locked.

donegal. wrote: »
    hi have an old 40GB ps3 with a faulty blu ray drive, everything else is fine .
    if i go on ebay or somewhere similar how do i know if the new BR drive will be compatable ?

To be honest, I'd just purchase a new one. Repairs to console have a huge risk of being false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

To be honest, I'd just purchase a new one. Repairs to console have a huge risk of being false economy.

i got a new one for myself. i was hoping to fix my old on the cheap to give to my nephew,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Australia is Region 4 so any region-locked Blu-Rays won't work on a Region 2 PS3. That said, most Blu-Rays aren't region-locked.

Oz is region 4 for dvds - there are only 3 regions for blu-rays.
    Had a look and Oz is in the same region as us for blu rays.
    http://www.dvd-blue-ray.com/blu-ray-regions.html

Melendez wrote: »

You are missing the point of "indicative". Stop thinking of the literal meaning and think about it in Sony's eyes.

If the speedtest on the PS3 reports something like 100Kbps, you know you will have issues playing online.

If the speedtest reports 6Mbps, you know that your online issues are not YOUR internet connection but probably a problem with the gaming server you are connected to [this COULD be another gamers PS3 if P2P connection].
    When I take the ethernet cable out of the laptop and plug it into the PS3 I am only getting upload/download speeds of 6.6mbps/1.6mbps
    This is indicative of a good online gaming experience, nothing else. It doesn't claim to be anything else.

Sony don't have unlimited bandwidth. They throttle all connections [I'm sure] from all users to ensure that as many people can use the service as possible without serious degradation. You may find that this could be a reason why downloads can take ages from PSN. One of the biggest gripes of users is "Can I download game x on my PC and transfer it to my PS3? The PSN download is sooooooo slow omgz <3"

It's an indicator. Not an indicator of your actual speed but an indicator showing if your connection supports online gaming at that moment.

If you want an accurate speedtest, use your PC to download 5 or 10 large files simultaneously and combine the results. Even using speed test websites isn't accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Hi all

Quick question hoping someone here will be able to give an answer :)

I have a ps3 slim and after about an hour or so gaming it beeps then slightly creeks? it doesn't turn off or anything and it runs pretty cool. any ideas?

T4RGET wrote: »
    any ideas?

I would assume that yer not in for a good consumer experience.

How old is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I just got a PS3 for christmas. I have it connected to my wireless network and when i go to the music section it has an option of FAMILY PC which is my laptop. Can someone explain how I set it up so I can play stuff from my laptop on my PS3 ? Thanks

Edit: Scrap that, Ive sorted it out . Thought it was more complicated than it was. Is there anyway for a PS3 to play .mkv files? And can you install a better music manager/player?

Slunk wrote: »
    Is there anyway for a PS3 to play .mkv files?
    Not directly. You will need to install a streamer on your PC. currently, you are probably configured to use Windows Media Player. Try something like TVersity or PS3 Media Server.

Slunk wrote: »
    can you install a better music manager/player?
    Nope. You are stuck with what you have. Music Unlimited service is excellent, though. You are a little late to the party but last month Sony offered it for ridiculously low price for PS+ subscribers.

Oh, subscribe to PS+. Don't question it. Just do it. You will not look back.

Thanks for that music unlimited suggestion. I thought most of them subscription services had a poor choice outside of the usual chart rubbish but it seems to have a lot of stuff I like. I also like the android app and offline function.Im on a 14 day free trial and wont show me options on prices until it runs out. What price is it normally?

It's about €150 - €180 a year, I think. Just before Christmas you could have picked it up for €11.50, I think, if you had PS+. It also didn't auto renew, so you were safe. I dived on it :]

Edit :

But it has almost every song you could want. Well, it found every obscure song I could throw at it. I believe it also lets you add
    YOUR local music to your Music Unlimited cloud account. I've not had a need to.

Needless to say, I will not be re-subscribing at the over inflated price. It will have to come way back down.

Ouch. While its a good service its not worth that amount of money. Shame as I was starting to like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

I would assume that yer not in for a good consumer experience.

How old is it?

why do you say that :p

it's not even a year old. it runs well, cool and rarely freezes. just seems to be something odd that happens from time to time

Advertisement