Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

T4RGET wrote: »

why do you say that :p

it's not even a year old. it runs well, cool and rarely freezes. just seems to be something odd that happens from time to time
    It shouldn't beep. It just shouldn't. It's, in my opinion, indicative of an issue that will get worse. Nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

Try replicate it on demand. Then bring it back to retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Slunk wrote: »
    I just got a PS3 for christmas. I have it connected to my wireless network and when i go to the music section it has an option of FAMILY PC which is my laptop. Can someone explain how I set it up so I can play stuff from my laptop on my PS3 ? Thanks

Edit: Scrap that, Ive sorted it out . Thought it was more complicated than it was. Is there anyway for a PS3 to play .mkv files? And can you install a better music manager/player?
    Vuze is a very good tool to use on your pc,it will convert mkv,avi,mp4 to play on almost any device you can think of.Your xbox ,ps3 ,ipad ,iphone etc. will show up on the left column and you simply drag you mkv. or whatever and drop it into your device.Sometimes mkv's can be a little slow to convert but its worth it as it works perfectly 99% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Woke up today my ps3 keeps saying can't run system software over and over. So I had to follow on screen instructions and reformat the thing. I am nothing at the system update screen and its been stuck at 99%. I don't know what to know. Should I restart or keep waitng? Not the best time for it to break down.

what's worse is I got my ps3 last xmas so the year warranty just literally expired. Fun fun.

Now I'm getting serious error. 8002F281

I would really like some advice before I call them.

OK so I rang them, Thankfully im still under warrany but just. I have to wait till next month before they can pick it up.
    Not the best time for it to break. Cant play my new games. Only started Mass Effect last night. The trilogy box is just staring at me like an orphaned child. Happy Holidays
    Follow up question. Now that they are sending me a replacement will it be a refurbished one or new? If it's refurbished I might just buy a new bigger hard drive. If that is the fault.

Did you get sorted?

I had this problem not so long ago. Nothing wrong with the hardware, I simply removed the hard drive, connected it to my laptop, formatted it and re-installed the operating system. So to answer your question, I reckon you'll get the exact same unit back.

Two lessons learned though:
    1. I'll be downloading system updates by PC to an external hard drive and installing them from there.
    2. I've switched on the Game Save backup to PS+
    I should also start backing up my game files to an external hard drive but haven't done it yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

rcdk1 wrote: »

Did you get sorted?

I had this problem not so long ago. Nothing wrong with the hardware, I simply removed the hard drive, connected it to my laptop, formatted it and re-installed the operating system. So to answer your question, I reckon you'll get the exact same unit back.

Two lessons learned though:
    1. I'll be downloading system updates by PC to an external hard drive and installing them from there.
    2. I've switched on the Game Save backup to PS+
    I should also start backing up my game files to an external hard drive but haven't done it yet :pac:
    There was suppose to be a courier pick up on the 3rd. But so far no one showed up. Yea id rather fix it myself. I'm looking for an hdd usb enclosure so I can format it on my computer. Any suggestion where I can get one? Luckily I am on psn+ and my saves are safe. How did you reinstall the OS onto the ps3 hard drive and update it on the computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

RangeR wrote: »
    It shouldn't beep. It just shouldn't. It's, in my opinion, indicative of an issue that will get worse. Nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

Try replicate it on demand. Then bring it back to retail.

cheers mate. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Not directly. You will need to install a streamer on your PC. currently, you are probably configured to use Windows Media Player. Try something like TVersity or PS3 Media Server.
    Used to use Tversity religiously but it's been faltering when I throw some mp4 files at it and it just wont play mkv files. Moved over to PS3MediaServer and I've never looked back. Had a few teething problems with using it over wifi but I'm now on a wired connection and it performs flawlessly now.

Also, Tversity are charging to use it. Not worth paying for it when you have other option available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Hey guys... Ok, not sure whats going on here with my ps3 (old model 40 gig) and Call of Duty black ops 2..

I got the game and played it for about an hour when I got the game. It played grand. Then shut down machine. On next boot up, blu ray disc did not appear on screen and from that point onwards, refused to appear ever! After much troubleshooting I came to the conclusion it was caused by a faulty laser reader. So I bought one off ebay and have installed it tonight. Booted up the ps3 and the game loaded up. "Hooray" I thought... I played about an hour, but this time there was some sound issues, however I ignored it as it didnt really impact the game. After I cleared a level, the Ps3 tried to load the next level but it was taking ages. I could hear the cd rom looping, then two beeps from the PS3 and nothing, it wasnt responding to anything. I shut it down by the switch at the back and rebooted. Now after the Ps3 loads up, no blu rays are being read once again, its acting exactly as before....

AHHHHH

new PS time???

ando wrote: »
    new PS time???
    I would

ando wrote: »
    Hey guys... Ok, not sure whats going on here with my ps3 (old model 40 gig) and Call of Duty black ops 2..

I got the game and played it for about an hour when I got the game. It played grand. Then shut down machine. On next boot up, blu ray disc did not appear on screen and from that point onwards, refused to appear ever! After much troubleshooting I came to the conclusion it was caused by a faulty laser reader. So I bought one off ebay and have installed it tonight. Booted up the ps3 and the game loaded up. "Hooray" I thought... I played about an hour, but this time there was some sound issues, however I ignored it as it didnt really impact the game. After I cleared a level, the Ps3 tried to load the next level but it was taking ages. I could hear the cd rom looping, then two beeps from the PS3 and nothing, it wasnt responding to anything. I shut it down by the switch at the back and rebooted. Now after the Ps3 loads up, no blu rays are being read once again, its acting exactly as before....
    AHHHHH

new PS time???
    Back up your game saves and reformat your ps3,had a similar problem ages ago turned out to be a HDD problem.Would definitely try that before buying new one.

Well I managed to fix the hard drive myself. The courier never showed up to collect my ps3. So problem solved it was an easily remedied problem anyway. Thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Well I managed to fix the hard drive myself. The courier never showed up to collect my ps3. So problem solved it was an easily remedied problem anyway. Thankfully.
    Cool. Sorry I only saw your previous post just now.

rcdk1 wrote: »
    Cool. Sorry I only saw your previous post just now.

Its ok dude, atleast you confirmed that this is fixable with a quick reformatting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

you know in the audio device settings where it lets you choose your input/output settings? well, im waiting on a new headset because my trittons mic is knackered, so i was using the headset as the output setting and a bluetooth mic as my input. i changed the sound setting from optical to hdmi today, as i wasnt playing a game online. later on i was going on to blops for a few games, so i changed all the settings back to my normal audio setup, but the ps3 would not let me seperate the input/output feed? everytime i confirmed one feed, it would automatically change the other to match it! any ideas folks? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

so i previously had my ps3 set up on a hdmi connection. having moved house, i've had to downgrade back to scart, but it wont work - when the console is turned on and connected and everything, light comes on but no picture comes through on tv. did hdmi change some setting that means it now wont work on scart and if so, how do i change it back?

edit: never mind, sorted

so i previously had my ps3 set up on a hdmi connection. having moved house, i've had to downgrade back to scart, but it wont work. did hdmi change some setting that means it now wont work on scart and if so, how do i change it back?
    Connect your ps3 with scart. From an off red light state press and hold the power button to turn it on till it shuts down again. Once off release your finger and then press and hold again to turn on. It will beep once and then the second beeps release the on button. It should reset the ps3s video output to whatever is connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

anybody know how to solve a freezing issue i having. my fifa is freezing up every time i try to play online seasons but everything else works fine. ive tried deleting game data, rebuilding database. the disc is scratch free and tried the disc in a mates playstation and it worked fine. im now trying to re install the playstation system update now in the hope this fixes it. every other game works fine.

FIXED. formatted hard drive that did the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

happened me before and i gave my slim a good clean , turned upside down(when cold) removed all dust , did the fan blow out thing ... seemed to work for me ( there are 2 cats in my house which doesnt help)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

both ps3 controllers are acting up lately, actions are appening without me pressing buttons ie when playing fifa, the ball will be randomly booted downfield, when i'm in a menu, it will scroll uncontrollably in random directions. is this fixable or do i just have to replace them?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

both ps3 controllers are acting up lately, actions are appening without me pressing buttons ie when playing fifa, the ball will be randomly booted downfield, when i'm in a menu, it will scroll uncontrollably in random directions. is this fixable or do i just have to replace them?

Yes this is also happening to mine when im playing F1 2012 Online, Cant remember if does it offline or not. It kept scheduling me for tyre change and using all my kerrs (boost) without me pusing any buttons.

Odd though cos when I stopped the game controller was perfect and Fifa 13 was playing good on 2 player offline.

I'm thinking its an online thing OR a bad Install from disc. Maybe try re-installing the disc might help. Or else borrow a wired controller from a mate like I did!

mio
    willyb007 wrote: »
    Yes this is also happening to mine when im playing F1 2012 Online, Cant remember if does it offline or not. It kept scheduling me for tyre change and using all my kerrs (boost) without me pusing any buttons.

Odd though cos when I stopped the game controller was perfect and Fifa 13 was playing good on 2 player offline.

I'm thinking its an online thing OR a bad Install from disc. Maybe try re-installing the disc might help. Or else borrow a wired controller from a mate like I did!
    Have you tried reset both controllers?
    Theres a small pin hole somewhere that you can use to do a factory type reset.Can't remember exactly how but google it and i'm sure you will find it,had to do it once a long time ago and it worked.
    EDIT:Found this...
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120413192156AAN2xVe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

help.
    when i turn on my ps3 i get this message , "The file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored".
    the only option is click ok to continue .

"restoring do not turn of system. After ths operation has completed the system will restart".
    it takes a very long time, maybe 12hours. and afterwords i get the first message again.

what do i do?

i got ssx last week and it needed an update before it first played. i suspect a bad update is the cause of my problems although the game played fine at the time.

donegal. wrote: »
    help.
    when i turn on my ps3 i get this message , "The file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored".

"restoring do not turn of system. After ths operation has completed the system will restart".
    it takes a very long time, maybe 12hours. and afterwords i get the first message again.

what do i do?

Considering it takes 12~ hours, it's doing a full format and encrypt. If it's still having issues, 99% chance you have a hard drive fault. Best option is to purchase a new hard drive. GREAT deals out there.

Suggest going for a 1TB HDD for <£60 + p&p. Will prolly cost you in the region of €80 to €90 all in.

Just found it on Elara for €74 ex delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Considering it takes 12~ hours, it's doing a full format and encrypt. If it's still having issues, 99% chance you have a hard drive fault. Best option is to purchase a new hard drive. GREAT deals out there.

Suggest going for a 1TB HDD for <£60 + p&p. Will prolly cost you in the region of €80 to €90 all in.

Just found it on Elara for €74 ex delivery

€67.05 with Super Saver delivery from Amazon.co.uk. Had it in my own "save for later"
    Thanks for the reminder to upgrade. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

help.

what do i do?
    it normal you just didn't shut down the ps3 properly when it come up just say ok wont take 12 hours unless something serious happen takes a 1 min or two.

i held down the power button untill i heard 2 beeps and reset my ps3. so i've lost all my photos movies etc but it looked like the ps3 was ok .I watched a movie on it
    but the next day i tryed to play black ops and it wouldn't connect , said the servers were down.
    Then tried ssx but wouldn't load saying it couldn't sync trophies.

now when i turn on the ps3 the screen is blank and i cant turn it off again.:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

i held down the power button untill i heard 2 beeps and reset my ps3. so i've lost all my photos movies etc but it looked like the ps3 was ok .I watched a movie on it
    but the next day i tryed to play black ops and it wouldn't connect , said the servers were down.
    Then tried ssx but wouldn't load saying it couldn't sync trophies.

now when i turn on the ps3 the screen is blank and i cant turn it off again.:confused::confused:
    You might have to reformat the hard drive you lose all save might fix your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Quick question, I've recently moved home and I've managed to lose the USB lead that charges the Dualshocks.

Any suggestions or where could I pick up a replacement?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Quick question, I've recently moved home and I've managed to lose the USB lead that charges the Dualshocks.

Any, and I mean ANY, computer store. They are the most common [until micro came along] usb lead Mini B to Standard A.

Amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

GavRedKing wrote: »

It would be quicker to say where you couldn't.

It's a mini usb cable, it and micro usb cables come with almost all devices that connect to a PC. They're also available separately from many shops.

Gamestop, Argos, and PC world as well as most places that sell games or electronics (phones or PCs).

Advertisement