Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Excellent, thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I'd like to be able to play video files in a .mkv container without streaming or converting - I can't stream large HD video files over my wireless as it's just unwatchable and converting is too tricky.... Is there any kind of software update for the PS3 that allows it support .mkv? Apparently MKV is supposed to be the best for HD video files and it's really annoying the PS3 doesn't support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

SOS PLEASE HELP !!!
    i have a 500gb , its fried wont do anything. I also have an old fat 40gb that works perfect except for the bluray player.

Is it possible to take the bluray player and harddrive from the newer ps3 and put them into the older 40gb ps3 ?

any advice would be very much appreciated .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

donegal. wrote: »
    SOS PLEASE HELP !!!
    i have a 500gb , its fried wont do anything. I also have an old fat 40gb that works perfect except for the bluray player.

Is it possible to take the bluray player and harddrive from the newer ps3 and put them into the older 40gb ps3 ?

No, harddrive is married to the PS3, if you fit it to another PS3 it will have to be formatted.

As for the blu-ray drive, I believe(open to correction) that the blu-ray drive is married to the driver board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Talk of .MKV

No

• Advertisement

i can do without the the hard drive.
    If i buy a second hand bluray how do i make sure its compatible ?

i can do without the the hard drive.
    If i buy a second hand bluray how do i make sure its compatible ?

You don't because it's not. Making it compatible means taking the circuitry from the broken one and putting it on the new one. No guarantees.

Save for a new unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭IslandKid

Hey all,

I would really love some help on this matter. Basiclaly I'm headed ot the states this summer and I'd love some advice as to what the story would be in regards to voltage/power flowing into my irish ps3 would be? Do I need an adaptor? do i need a converter that alters the power from the plugs? where would i get one?

please id really appreciate any advice from anyone who has ever done this before! a full explaination of why i need what i need aswell would be very much appreciated (i like to follow other peoples logic in my own head)

thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

IslandKid wrote: »
    Hey all,

I would really love some help on this matter. Basiclaly I'm headed ot the states this summer and I'd love some advice as to what the story would be in regards to voltage/power flowing into my irish ps3 would be? Do I need an adaptor? do i need a converter that alters the power from the plugs? where would i get one?

please id really appreciate any advice from anyone who has ever done this before! a full explaination of why i need what i need aswell would be very much appreciated (i like to follow other peoples logic in my own head)

thanks very much.
    http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource%C2%AE-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-ST500/dp/B0022QOSDK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367870417&sr=1-1&keywords=step+up+converter
    you will need something like this,they are quite cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

SOS PLEASE HELP !!!

How old is the 500gb PS3.?

• Advertisement

Slick50 wrote: »
    How old is the 500gb PS3.?

about 18 months. I rang sony and was offered a graded machine for €150

Small Claims Court for you: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795516

Where did you buy the console? (Please don't say Game).

EDIT: Engage with retailer first, if no joy then consider the SCC.

SOS PLEASE HELP !!!

F1ngers wrote: »
    Small Claims Court for you: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795516

Where did you buy the console? (Please don't say Game).

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. Poster hasn't said if they tried the retailer. They shouldn't have gone to Sony at all. Assuming that they didn't purchase direct from Sony [even possible?].

If you really want to try fight this, you need to engage original retailer and ask them to Refund, Repair or Replace. Go from there.

unfortunately i've already had a local repair guy take a look at it, so the security seal will be broken. How would this affect things ?
    i need to check my receipt but i think i got it of gamestop in derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

unfortunately i've already had a local repair guy take a look at it, so the security seal will be broken. How would this affect things ?

If you're asking then I guess you know how it'll affect your chances, it's up to the retailer at this point whether they will sort it for you.

Unfortunately, you have no consumer rights once that seal is broken by an un-authorised anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Just had my sons ps3 repaired at Console Repairs Ireland in Bray, 24 hr turnaround, 6 mths warranty, nice helpful lads that were straight up about repairs needed, €70. Would recommend to anyone else:)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

Hi all, I need of a bit of expert advice ( seeing as Sony support were useless), my 5 yr old 60gb PS3 has started to shut down when playing online (blops2). Now I've moved the device to get more air into it, placed it upright on top of a stand, but after anything from 10mins to 60 it just dies on me. However, my kids play offline on it for hours and hours with only the occasional freeze, but no dying?
    Is this the beginning of the end for my old buddy? Why shut down when online? Does it draw more power thus gets hotter? Yes it does get very warm on top. Would stripping it down and cleaning it out help? ( have quite a dusty house with pets and fireplace).
    Any knowledge on this gratefully received. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Hi,poxy ps3 is acting up.Wont play any agmes except mw2/fifa 2011.Both those work every time I put them in.Any other games just spin and then make an ejecting noise.Im not getting any error codes.Also all psn games work fine.

I have repaired the file system and also restored ps3 back to factory settings.

Any ideas?

EDIT:all discs are fine and have tested on other ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Is there any way to get BBC iplayer working for PS3? live in Newry but have southern account, when go to search for it on Internet browser can find it ok but keeps telling me need to upgrade my flash which it obviously won't do, just wondering do I need to change anything that might get it to work

• Advertisement

Is there any way to get BBC iplayer working for PS3? live in Newry but have southern account, when go to search for it on Internet browser can find it ok but keeps telling me need to upgrade my flash which it obviously won't do, just wondering do I need to change anything that might get it to work

Why don't you just set up a UK account?
    Easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

F1ngers wrote: »
    Why don't you just set up a UK account?
    Easy to do.
    Never even thought of that!! Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Is it possible to get a video file stored on a Ps3 (eg. Mp4) to display subtitles? I've tried numerous google searches but it seems I'd have to either stream it via Ps3MediaServer or re-encode the file to add the subtitles, would this be correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

returnNull wrote: »
    Hi,poxy ps3 is acting up.Wont play any agmes except mw2/fifa 2011.Both those work every time I put them in.Any other games just spin and then make an ejecting noise.Im not getting any error codes.Also all psn games work fine.

I have repaired the file system and also restored ps3 back to factory settings.

Any ideas?

EDIT:all discs are fine and have tested on other ps3

This started happening with me with Uncharted 3. Thought it was the disc and threw it out. It wasn't cos it's happening with other games now (Far Cry 3). Doesn't seem to be a problem with older games and generally works if I boot the PS with the disc inside it. I'm assuming it's a cd thing as the PSN games are fine. Gonna get a cheap cd cleaner and failing that buy a new PS3. It's a pretty old slim model.

Is it possible to get a video file stored on a Ps3 (eg. Mp4) to display subtitles? I've tried numerous google searches but it seems I'd have to either stream it via Ps3MediaServer or re-encode the file to add the subtitles, would this be correct?

Subs have to be embedded in the stream before it hits the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads. I want to pop a new hdd in to my phat 60gb ps3. From reading online its better to use 5400 speed hdd and any brand works.

So any limit on size? can i pop 1TB hdd in to it? or there are sizes to stick with?

1TB. 9.5mm height. No higher.

RangeR wrote: »
    1TB. 9.5mm height. No higher.

Cheers.

Just placed order for this one. 500gb will be more then enough. ( I hope I am not too optimistic about damn ps+ lol :P )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004UGWFZ8/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

If it wont work, ill pop it in to PC as a storage.

If you have ANY plans on going PS+ change that order fir a 1TB. That laptop hard drive won't fit in a PC.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    If you have ANY plans on going PS+ change that order fir a 1TB. That laptop hard drive won't fit in a PC.

Emmmm I got 2 ssds, which are 2.5inch. It's not prebuilt system and I got some spare satas ;)

Advertisement