Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Sounds like the last firmware update but the latest is meant to fix that...

Check the sony site, they give instructions on how to apply the latest via USB to resolve this - hopefully that is all you are seeing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Taltos wrote: »
    Sounds like the last firmware update but the latest is meant to fix that...

Check the sony site, they give instructions on how to apply the latest via USB to resolve this - hopefully that is all you are seeing...

Tried what you suggested - didn't work unfortunately. Had to wipe the harddrive in the end, which did sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Playing Metal Gear Solid 4 and after the bit in the Militia Bunkhouse, I'd say about an hour into the game, the game won't load anymore. It just goes to the loading screen where a disc and question mark flash in the top left corner of the screen. I've googled it but am none the wiser really, some people saying it could be the bluray laser, which I seriously hope isn't the case. I've just tried deleting the game data and just installing Act I but no use. Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty annoyed with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Playing Metal Gear Solid 4 and after the bit in the Militia Bunkhouse, I'd say about an hour into the game, the game won't load anymore. It just goes to the loading screen where a disc and question mark flash in the top left corner of the screen. I've googled it but am none the wiser really, some people saying it could be the bluray laser, which I seriously hope isn't the case. I've just tried deleting the game data and just installing Act I but no use. Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty annoyed with it.

Laser cleaner and give the disk a clean too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Where would be the best place to get one of those? I gave the disk a clean alright but no difference, it's worked fine with Uncharted 3 and Battlefield BC2 + 3.
    I'm thinking it may be the harddrive that I took from an old laptop of mine and put into it so I'm doing a full reformat of it, which it probably needed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Took a disc out of the PS3, I had just played it so everything at that time was working. Then I took it out and put in another game but not it won't see the new game or the old one.

Drive spins but PS3 can't see it, I can't test if it's only games.

How much for the laser or drive replacement, as I've plus and another PS3 I'm not pushed on repairing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Varik wrote: »
    Took a disc out of the PS3, I had just played it so everything at that time was working. Then I took it out and put in another game but not it won't see the new game or the old one.

How much for the laser or drive replacement, as I've plus and another PS3 I'm not pushed on repairing it.
    Dang hate when that happens.
    Ok you need to find your proper model number to find out your lens replacement model.

Lots of info here :
    http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html

So find out your ps3 model and then way down that page there is a list of different lenses.

It's just after the following , couldn't paste the table from phone.
    Blu-ray Lens

Note that the lens in the Blu-ray drive went through various evolutions as newer PS3 models were released. Many of the initial 40GB models (CECHG) used a cheaper version of Blu-ray lens, which had a high failure rate, requiring replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I just got a new ps3, the type with the top loading disc.
    The disc drive is incredibly noisy compared to my last one, is this normal with these machines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

donegal. wrote: »
    I just got a new ps3, the type with the top loading disc.
    The disc drive is incredibly noisy compared to my last one, is this normal with these machines ?
    I have one aswell mate the 12gb slim and naw its not noisy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

My PSN account is linked to a now cancelled credit card, I went to subscribe to PS+ for the year.

I cant remember my password to change my billing info, now I'm sure its a simple solution but at 1:30AM last night and being up for work at 7AM I didnt bother looking for a solution.

So, how do I reset my PSN password so I change my billing info?
    I'm expecting a very simple solution that makes me look stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

GavRedKing wrote: »
    My PSN account is linked to a now cancelled credit card, I went to subscribe to PS+ for the year.

I cant remember my password to change my billing info, now I'm sure its a simple solution but at 1:30AM last night and being up for work at 7AM I didnt bother looking for a solution.

So, how do I reset my PSN password so I change my billing info?
    I'm expecting a very simple solution that makes me look stupid

How stupid would you like to look :)?

Click Sign In -> Forgotton My Password

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

RangeR wrote: »
    How stupid would you like to look :)?

Click Sign In -> Forgotton My Password

Wont load in work. :o

Anyway, thanks, was expecting it to be simple anyway.

Just a quick question lads.

I'm looking to sell my PS3 but want to completely wipe the hard drive and delete my details.

Just wondering whats the best option in doing this?

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Just a quick question lads.

I'm looking to sell my PS3 but want to completely wipe the hard drive and delete my details.

Just wondering whats the best option in doing this?

Thanks

Not sure where, but there is a format HD option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

The only thing that is really required is deactivating the system against your PSNID. That is step one. Do that from the Accounts Menu somewhere.
    Step two, FULL format the drive, This COULD take up to 12 hours, depending on the HDD size. It takes that long as it's more than a format. It re-does the encryption too. Or you could do a quick format in seconds.

Now it's clean, and so is your PSNID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

ive noticed for last week that the PSN ID's in players met are not updating since start of july. any ideas??

ive noticed for last week that the PSN ID's in players met are not updating since start of july. any ideas??

What were the games, maybe the IDs have to be pushed by the game to the list and some games don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

What were the games, maybe the IDs have to be pushed by the game to the list and some games don't do it.

black ops 2 and fifa 13. them two always had it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Anyone have trouble copying some game saves to the cloud? I just copied all my save data but for some reason the American McGee's Alice and Madness Returns didn't copy.

Edit: Never mind. Found out I had to copy them individually. Turns out not all games can be copied as part of a group copy.

Just updating this.

I didn't buy a new drive in the end as I tried something else which sorted my PS3s inability to read or sense disc.

Get the PS3 into recovery mode and have it restore file system, this doesn't delete anything and will tell if something is wrong (corrupt) before it fixes it. Mine was and now that it's sorted I can play disc again.

So if your PS3 stops reading games then before sending it back to sony or anyone else try this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Mods, not sure if it's ok to ask this, please remove if it's not.
    I have the dns settings changed on my ps3 in order to watch the US Netflix. I want to change it back to the UK version because the new breaking bad episode isn't on the US version that my ps3 picks up. So does anyone know the default dns settings?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Bassfish wrote: »
    Mods, not sure if it's ok to ask this, please remove if it's not.
    I have the dns settings changed on my ps3 in order to watch the US Netflix. I want to change it back to the UK version because the new breaking bad episode isn't on the US version that my ps3 picks up. So does anyone know the default dns settings?
    Cheers

Internet setting configure it through "easy" and automatic. that should bring up your default settings. just your password would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Internet setting configure it through "easy" and automatic. that should bring up your default settings. just your password would be needed.

It worked, thanks a million :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Turned on my PS3 (original fat 120gb version) for the first time in months and got nothing, just a flashing red light. I've been googling for a while and it doesn't seem like the ylod problem - it just beeps 3 times quickly, and then flashing red light. I've tried turning it on at the mains while holding the eject button, but there's no response.

Anything else I can try? Failing that, is there anywhere in Cork that might be worth repairing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Looking to get a Dualshock 3, but have noticed they are still going for €55 new (I think Argos had them at €64 :O ). They must be cheaper than that at this stage, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

get it of Amazon for €45 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Saw it going for €35 on WowHD with free shipping, so picked it up there. Looked possible to get it a bit cheaper on Amazon, but a lot of reviews were saying they got fake controllers, so probably not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This happened to me too. Did you mess with the date settings recently?

Mine stopped updating on July 17th 2012. It only started working a year later! I changed the year and it f*cked it up.

My met players do update but it's never a complete list, I play BF3 so the names add up fast but a lot of them won't show up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm sure someone will probably still ask but PSN is down now due to maintenance. Scheduled to be back up at 2:30am.
    http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Technical/PSN-Maintenance-scheduled-for-Thursday-22nd-August/td-p/19575328

Advertisement