Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

What's up with the PSN. I can't login.
    I'm ringing Joe. It's a bloody disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Oat23 wrote: »
    This happened to me too. Did you mess with the date settings recently?

Mine stopped updating on July 17th 2012. It only started working a year later! I changed the year and it f*cked it up.

No I didn not to my knowledge anyways. Il reset it and see if that solves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tunix1234

Hi anybody. A spring, a small spring fell off inside my PS3 blue-ray drive, and i dont know where its surpposed to be and my drive dont read any disc and i think the missing spring is the cause. Can anyone please help with pictures if possible. Pls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I'm trying to change my Hard drive from one PS to another. When i turn the PS on it says i have to have version 4.46 and to press the select and start buttons at the same time. I downloaded the latest version to a memory stick but it doesn't recognize it.

Any thoughts

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is the psn store down for maintenance?I couldn't access it last sunday either because it was down for "maintenance",I haven't tried all week though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is the psn store down for maintenance?I couldn't access it last sunday either because it was down for "maintenance",I haven't tried all week though.

The digital version of GTA V just went live to download, that may be something to do with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its working again,I just deleted it and re-installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Hi all, looking for some advice from people who have experienced this problem before:)

In early May, my PS3 began making some skipping noises when I inserted a Blu-Ray game disc in the drive (PS3 Slim, not the new Ultra slim). 9 times out of 10 it would work, but just with some fuss. Then It stopped reading Blu-Rays entirely. I looked into this problem and found numerous Youtube videos of people with the same problem and some articles, forums etc discussing the same problem. It seems to be the Blu-Ray drives laser is now unable to read discs, meaning it needs to be replaced.

So, does anyone know of places where I can have it replaced that have a good reputation regarding Blu-Ray drive swaps? I found this place (http://www.consolerepaircentre.ie/playstation.html#laser_replacement_ps3) offering the service, but have any fellow Boardsies any experience of using this company or any other recommendations for places who offer this service? The company I linked seem fairly reputable.

Thanks for any advice & replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Hi all, looking for some advice from people who have experienced this problem before:)

In early May, my PS3 began making some skipping noises when I inserted a Blu-Ray game disc in the drive (PS3 Slim, not the new Ultra slim). 9 times out of 10 it would work, but just with some fuss. Then It stopped reading Blu-Rays entirely. I looked into this problem and found numerous Youtube videos of people with the same problem and some articles, forums etc discussing the same problem. It seems to be the Blu-Ray drives laser is now unable to read discs, meaning it needs to be replaced.

So, does anyone know of places where I can have it replaced that have a good reputation regarding Blu-Ray drive swaps? I found this place (http://www.consolerepaircentre.ie/playstation.html#laser_replacement_ps3) offering the service, but have any fellow Boardsies any experience of using this company or any other recommendations for places who offer this service? The company I linked seem fairly reputable.

Thanks for any advice & replies.
    Yup. I used them before. My PS3 started to mess up while watching Inception at the exact same position every single time. Kept on happening until it stopped reading games and Bluray discs all together. It would play DVDs and obviously digital games on the HD. Brought it over to them, left it with them for a day or two (cant remember). That was over 2 years ago and it's still going today. Cost me €85/90 which was a little steep at the time but cant fault the service.

Not sure thier prices have come down at all these days but it might be worth keeping your current PS3 as a digital games console (perfect for PS+) and play DVDs in it too (that is if it still plays DVDs like mine did) and maybe think about getting a new model for cheap. Maybe even get a 12GB one and swap the HD over. It would obviously need a reformat.

Yup. I used them before. My PS3 started to mess up while watching Inception at the exact same position every single time. Kept on happening until it stopped reading games and Bluray discs all together. It would play DVDs and obviously digital games on the HD. Brought it over to them, left it with them for a day or two (cant remember). That was over 2 years ago and it's still going today. Cost me €85/90 which was a little steep at the time but cant fault the service.

Not sure thier prices have come down at all these days but it might be worth keeping your current PS3 as a digital games console (perfect for PS+) and play DVDs in it too (that is if it still plays DVDs like mine did) and maybe think about getting a new model for cheap. Maybe even get a 12GB one and swap the HD over. It would obviously need a reformat.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

When you got your Blu-Ray drive replaced, did they format your hard drive? Or was it just a simple swap job? From videos I've seen online, it seems to be a simple swap over and it runs smoothly again without the need to format the drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Hey, thanks for the reply.

When you got your Blu-Ray drive replaced, did they format your hard drive? Or was it just a simple swap job? From videos I've seen online, it seems to be a simple swap over and it runs smoothly again without the need to format the drive.
    When I got the bluray drive swapped, it was a direct swap. No format needed. I only mentioned the formatting of the harddrive as a result of you swapping over the drive to another PS3. Sorry for the confusion.

When I got the bluray drive swapped, it was a direct swap. No format needed. I only mentioned the formatting of the harddrive as a result of you swapping over the drive to another PS3. Sorry for the confusion.

It's cool, I figured that a reformat would be excessive but that's what Sony do when you send them PS3's to be repaired. Thanks for your help.

PSN Is down for anybody else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I am constantly timing out while trying to sign in. This has been happening the last week. It takes me about ten attempts each time I turn on the console.
    Starting to drive me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Anyone have any ideas for a PS3 that gets very noisy after playing for a while, the fan goes into overdrive, I can feel it blowing out air at the back, but the PS3 itself doesn't feel that hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Pangea wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas for a PS3 that gets very noisy after playing for a while, the fan goes into overdrive, I can feel it blowing out air at the back, but the PS3 itself doesn't feel that hot.
    Sounds ominus, make sure you have everything saved/backed up. This is often a precursor to YLOD. Is it on old machine? Make sure you have it well ventilated, and that the vents on the console aren't clogged with dust.

Slick50 wrote: »
    Sounds ominus, make sure you have everything saved/backed up. This is often a precursor to YLOD. Is it on old machine? Make sure you have it well ventilated, and that the vents on the console aren't clogged with dust.

I bought it in 2008, so 5 years. Think it came with 40GB at the time.
    I did a quick hover on the vents a few times.
    I'm not sure if there is any way to solve the problem, I seen some guides on the net of taking the PS3 apart to clean, but I'm not sure if all that trouble will solve it, I haven't seen any success stories

It's full of fluff / hair / dust / etc. Open it CAREFULLY and give it a good vacuum or air duster. It's relatively easy. There are plenty of Youtube videos available on how to do it. Be sure to get UNDER items [if with air blower/canister]. That fluff hides everywhere.

I have to do it to my box every year or two [I have a VERY hairy dog]. After it's done, it goes back to VERY quiet.

Oh, frgot to mention... the fluff gets into the PSU too. Give that a very good blow. And any grill you see. Blow it all. Outdoors. Do it outdoors :)

RangeR wrote: »
    Oh, frgot to mention... the fluff gets into the PSU too. Give that a very good blow. And any grill you see. Blow it all. Outdoors. Do it outdoors :)

Thanks for the tips, glad to hear it worked for you!
    Found a good video on youtube so Il try it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_sRUXat_Rs

Just need to get a torx screwdriver now by the looks of things.

• Advertisement

Done the cleaning last night, unfortunately the PS3 not even turning on now.
    Not even a blue light. :O, Checked everything inside again, wires etc. All seem to be fine.
    Only thing I know I did wrong ,was one little silver bit, it moved a little when I was cleaning with a cloth, but I twisted it back to its position and seems to be intact.
    To see the part I am talking about, click the link belowe and look at the little green area above the man's right thumb, its one of the two silver things protruding out that moved.
    http://i.imgur.com/ROjkBFh.jpg

Still Im not too convinced that this is the cause of the fault, you would think I would at least get power.

Image link not working

You used a cloth? I hope to hell that it was a dry one :)
    Blow, suck. Never rub.

What MIGHT have happened is, if you moved some of the pieces inside the PS3, you may have undone some wiring. There are a few ribbon cable in there that all need to be connected up.

Image link not working

You used a cloth? I hope to hell that it was a dry one :)
    Blow, suck. Never rub.

What MIGHT have happened is, if you moved some of the pieces inside the PS3, you may have undone some wiring. There are a few ribbon cable in there that all need to be connected up.

Actually, i did use a moist cloth at times on the hard surfaces :o

I took everything apart again, and Its working now, red light showing up, so happy days, not sure what was wrong really.
    I shoved in the ribbon underneath the blueray drive harder this time.

Il connect it up to tv later when i have a chance, but should be smooth sailing then hopefully

Just connected it up, screen loaded, psn signed in, but it just wont take my game, ugggh.
    Blue ray drive not accepting my disc for some reason.

Just connected it up, screen loaded, psn signed in, but it just wont take my game, ugggh.
    Blue ray drive not accepting my disc for some reason.
    I shoved in the ribbon underneath the blueray drive harder this time.

This is the thing to check. Your PS3 internals need TLC, not shoving :)

Those clips on the ribbon cables are VERY intolerant to abuse. Have a look and make sure the Bluray ribbon connected up fine.

This is the thing to check. Your PS3 internals need TLC, not shoving :)

Those clips on the ribbon cables are VERY intolerant to abuse. Have a look and make sure the Bluray ribbon connected up fine.

Opened up ps3 for fourth time (Getting faster every time), turns out one of the white connectors to the blue ray drive wasnt in fully.
    Working like a charm now, and its soo quiet!!!! :D No super slim for me just yet.
    Fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong now, thanks for help.
    :D

Opened up ps3 for fourth time (Getting faster every time), turns out one of the white connectors to the blue ray drive wasnt in fully.
    Working like a charm now, and its soo quiet!!!! :D No super slim for me just yet.
    Fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong now, thanks for help.
    :D
    Excellent. Well done. Enjoy the silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

Ok, was playing GTA Online after days of trying to get on. Was in a middle of a game and everything crashed. Reset the modem and my laptop and phone both picked up the Wifi, but now my PS3 won't. It just won't sign into PSN.

I've tried turning the console off and on again and I've tried scanning for the router which is reading it no bother but when I go to sign in it just said "The key information exchange timed out. The WPA kep you entered may not be correct".

Now it's just saying "An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PSN (80710B23).

I'm absolutely useless with this stuff, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

IanMc666 wrote: »
    Ok, was playing GTA Online after days of trying to get on. Was in a middle of a game and everything crashed. Reset the modem and my laptop and phone both picked up the Wifi, but now my PS3 won't. It just won't sign into PSN.

I've tried turning the console off and on again and I've tried scanning for the router which is reading it no bother but when I go to sign in it just said "The key information exchange timed out. The WPA kep you entered may not be correct".

Now it's just saying "An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PSN (80710B23).

I'm absolutely useless with this stuff, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Start simple. Try a network cable first, between the PS3 and router/modem. Just to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Excellent. Well done. Enjoy the silence.

Well done ! Do us a favour and don't use a damp cloth on any electronic equipment ever again :O

Advertisement