Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

Hey everyone. Just turned on the PS3 today and randomly noticed that my directional buttons are not working. Have to use the analog sticks to select different things, but obviously I'm gonna need the directional buttons for most games. It should be worth noting that some of the L and R buttons aren't responding either, everything else is fine though.

Is this a common/easily sorted issue?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

IanMc666 wrote: »
    Hey everyone. Just turned on the PS3 today and randomly noticed that my directional buttons are not working. Have to use the analog sticks to select different things, but obviously I'm gonna need the directional buttons for most games. It should be worth noting that some of the L and R buttons aren't responding either, everything else is fine though.

Is this a common/easily sorted issue?

Thanks in advance.

Are any of the buttons stuck or sticky? Was anything spilled on the controller recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Probably been asked several times but no harm asking again;

Turned my superslim on and I did think it started a lot quieter than normal. Was watching a video file on it and about 10 minutes in, got a notification saying the machine was too hot and to turn it off for a while. Green light started flashing between green and red. Turned it off and tried it about 20 minutes later and the same thing happened almost straight away. It turned itself off before I had a chance to, red standby light wasn't even on.

I've held a hoover close to the vents (though there's f*ck all suction from the hoover). I plugged it back in for a minute and the red standby light came up as normal, but I've unplugged it completely and will probably leave it for the rest of the night.

Am I f*cked? Is this one of those situations where you have to do that thing with thermal paste or something? What's my best option for making a backup of game saves etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Penn wrote: »
    Am I f*cked? Is this one of those situations where you have to do that thing with thermal paste or something? What's my best option for making a backup of game saves etc?

As the console can't stay on long, I'd say the first thing to do is deactivate it from your account and then manually back up each save to a USB rather than a full back up.

Is the fan going at all, replacing it might be a solution.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

What's my best option for making a backup of game saves etc?

You have PS+.
    Tell me you were using the cloud to back up your saves?

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    You have PS+.
    Tell me you were using the cloud to back up your saves?

Some, but as I play offline a lot (due to having mobile broadband), not all, and some might be from a while back.

Edit:
    Turned it on for a while there and have managed to backup most of my saves to the cloud (didn't select some games I don't have any more as it would have taken too long), and had enough time to backup the important game saves (GTAV, Borderlands 2, MGS4 and Batman Arkham Origins as I'm still playing it) to my USB too. No sign of trouble with the PS3 while it was on. Still seemed fairly quiet but there was heat coming out of the back of it so the fans must be working. I stood it vertically in the hopes it'd help. Whether it did or not, or whether the Hoover did do the trick, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

RangeR wrote: »
    Are any of the buttons stuck or sticky? Was anything spilled on the controller recently?

Nothing was spilled on it at all, it just seemed to stop working! :p

Resolved the issue by just purchasing a new one.

Some, but as I play offline a lot (due to having mobile broadband), not all, and some might be from a while back.

Edit:
    Turned it on for a while there and have managed to backup most of my saves to the cloud (didn't select some games I don't have any more as it would have taken too long), and had enough time to backup the important game saves (GTAV, Borderlands 2, MGS4 and Batman Arkham Origins as I'm still playing it) to my USB too. No sign of trouble with the PS3 while it was on. Still seemed fairly quiet but there was heat coming out of the back of it so the fans must be working. I stood it vertically in the hopes it'd help. Whether it did or not, or whether the Hoover did do the trick, I don't know.

Said I'd try it again last night and when I turned it on, it was as loud as it usually is when it turns on. Threw in a dvd and it was fine. No problems at all.

Perhaps the issue is I'm watching too many video files from my hard drive which isn't activating the fan enough. The three times the "System is getting too hot" warning has come on has been when I've been playing a video file.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Noticing pop in on lots of objects on GTA V (Disc) on my new super slim PS3.
    Any idea what causes this? Kinda annoying, you can see cars spawning in the distance, grass appearing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Quick one, hoping someone can answer.

I had a ps3 when it first came out '07 and the PSN was my own etc.. That ps3 broke but the PSN is still connected to my email address.

Last year, I was given my brothers PS3 (synced to his PSN account) and I used that exclusively building up tons of trophies and saved items for lots of new games.

When I get my PS4 next week I want to use my own PSN ID for it, but is there use in trying to take the saved files and achievements from my bros PSN onto my own? is it even possible?

I suppose if they are all new games I'm playing on the ps4 it shouldn't matter anyway. Just a shame to lose all that data.

• Advertisement

Quick one, hoping someone can answer.

I had a ps3 when it first came out '07 and the PSN was my own etc.. That ps3 broke but the PSN is still connected to my email address.

Last year, I was given my brothers PS3 (synced to his PSN account) and I used that exclusively building up tons of trophies and saved items for lots of new games.

When I get my PS4 next week I want to use my own PSN ID for it, but is there use in trying to take the saved files and achievements from my bros PSN onto my own? is it even possible?

I suppose if they are all new games I'm playing on the ps4 it shouldn't matter anyway. Just a shame to lose all that data.
    No. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

Said I'd try it again last night and when I turned it on, it was as loud as it usually is when it turns on. Threw in a dvd and it was fine. No problems at all.

Perhaps the issue is I'm watching too many video files from my hard drive which isn't activating the fan enough. The three times the "System is getting too hot" warning has come on has been when I've been playing a video file.
    Just a thought - it could be that it's full of dust and gunk built up over several years and that's holding the fan back from doing it's job - or has busted it. I took mine apart not so long ago and it wasn't a pretty sight! Loads of videos on youtube about how to take them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Have a friend that has a ps3 slim (not sure hdd size), hes having an issue reading discs on his system.

Fairly sure its the Blu Ray drive, anywhere I can get a replacement drive for a decent price?
    Also anything I shouod know before attempting to replace the drive?
    Or is just a case of swapping it in?

Cheers for any advice

EoinHef wrote: »
    Have a friend that has a ps3 slim (not sure hdd size), hes having an issue reading discs on his system.

Fairly sure its the Blu Ray drive, anywhere I can get a replacement drive for a decent price?
    Also anything I shouod know before attempting to replace the drive?
    Or is just a case of swapping it in?

Cheers for any advice

The tniest mistake will cost you. More than the price of a new one. Get a pro to do it. Or buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Any one else having an issue with the PS3 store not recognising PS+?
    I renewed in June but trying to download today got a pop up telling me I need a + account despite it being visible in my profile (but not the store). Have gone to the sony account on the web - all checks out there and have emailed them but figure it will be a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Taltos wrote: »
    Any one else having an issue with the PS3 store not recognising PS+?
    I renewed in June but trying to download today got a pop up telling me I need a + account despite it being visible in my profile (but not the store). Have gone to the sony account on the web - all checks out there and have emailed them but figure it will be a while...

Still having issues.

Going to guess it's working for you now as the store/PSN having problems for most yesterday but is working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Ended up going online yesterday and accessing the items that way... Had ongoing (other) issues today - figure it was just the load of newbies with shiny PS4s getting in to see what was on offer :)

Will probably use the web version alot more now - at least so far it seems reliable.

Taltos wrote: »
    Will probably use the web version alot more now - at least so far it seems reliable.

I had issues with that a couple of times today.
    It should be ok in a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Can you still get the Playstation Network cards?

Sister got me a voucher for Gamestop. Since there's nothing of interest for me at the mo, I was thinking of using it towards the offers on PSN that are ongoing. Would be handy if I could get one of them.

Thanks

callaway92 wrote: »
    Can you still get the Playstation Network cards?

Sister got me a voucher for Gamestop. Since there's nothing of interest for me at the mo which I was thinking of using it towards the offers on PSN that are ongoing. Would be handy if I could get one of them.

Thanks

You can indeed.
    Can even be bought online, http://www.gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearch?q=PSN%20Card%20%E2%82%AC50%20%28sent%20via%20email*%29

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Hi all got a new ps3 12gb today,

it won't stay logged in to PSN for 5 minutes without logging out citing DNS error 80710102

the other ps3 console/laptops are all working fine.

when we do the internet connection test it passes all of them, we get NAT type 2, but still it disconnects every few minutes from psn,

it makes watching netflix impossible.

any ideas on a fix?

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Hi all got a new ps3 12gb today,

it won't stay logged in to PSN for 5 minutes without logging out citing DNS error 80710102

the other ps3 console/laptops are all working fine.

when we do the internet connection test it passes all of them, we get NAT type 2, but still it disconnects every few minutes from psn,

it makes watching netflix impossible.

any ideas on a fix?

Wired or wireless for all devices?
    Who's yer ISP?
    What's your router?
    Is the 12 GB far from the router [compared to the other devices]?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Wired or wireless for all devices?
    Who's yer ISP?
    What's your router?
    Is the 12 GB far from the router [compared to the other devices]?

Wireless for all,

eircom and zyxel F1000,

the 12gb is the closest of all the devices but not close enough to wire it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Any idea why my brother would be getting an message popup on his PS3 saying "The maximum amount of power that can be supplied to the usb devices has been reached. Please remove at least one device"

I think it's happening even when he hasn't got anything attached to the cable. He has been using a USB cable extender (retractable).

The controllers aren't charging properly when they are connected to the PS3. He needs to wiggle/contort the cable close to the controller to get it to register properly and often disconnects and stops/pauses gameplay when using it via cable. Registering the controller with the cable has stopped working too.

Tried a couple of different cables in the PS3 so I'm not sure it isn't the cable causing this.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Any idea why my brother would be getting an message popup on his PS3 saying "The maximum amount of power that can be supplied to the usb devices has been reached. Please remove at least one device"

I think it's happening even when he hasn't got anything attached to the cable. He has been using a USB cable extender (retractable).

The controllers aren't charging properly when they are connected to the PS3. He needs to wiggle/contort the cable close to the controller to get it to register properly and often disconnects and stops/pauses gameplay when using it via cable. Registering the controller with the cable has stopped working too.

Tried a couple of different cables in the PS3 so I'm not sure it isn't the cable causing this.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I think you've answered your own question. The USB ports seem faulty. My guess is that it's lose. If so, a solder job would fix this. I reckon a console repair place will fix this for you for less than €50. It's a very quick job at about 95% labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I think you've answered your own question. The USB ports seem faulty. My guess is that it's lose. If so, a solder job would fix this. I reckon a console repair place will fix this for you for less than €50. It's a very quick job at about 95% labour.
    Sorry, forgot to mention that it's happening on two different controllers. Doesn't matter which of two cables he uses. Although one of the controllers is permenantly synced with the PS3 while the other one has the ingame disconnects. Are you referring to the USB port on the controller or the console itself?

Sorry, forgot to mention that it's happening on two different controllers. Doesn't matter which of two cables he uses. Although one of the controllers is permenantly synced with the PS3 while the other one has the ingame disconnects. Are you referring to the USB port on the controller or the console itself?

The USB port on the PS3 seems to be the cause here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Hi can anyone offer some advice on this , basically I just got a PS3 and am about to order a replacement power supply ,

No standby lights, three beeps if you press eject, and every second time you press the on button it goes green beeps three times and then powers down.

It is doing this , Anyone ever have this issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

So my PS3 is stuck on a restore loop. Everytime it finishes restoring I just get a black screen. I tried most of the options in Safe Mode bar reformatting the hdd. Any suggestions before I completely reformat my hdd?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Could someone point me towards an up to date guide on how to buy games/add funds on the US psn store using an Irish/Euro visa debit card. I've tried adding funds using the card and Paypal but no avail. Is there a workaround here?

Advertisement