Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSP - Resources, Troubleshooting, FAQs

• 21-08-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is here to provide links and information on frequently-discussed topics. Feel free to contribute. Please keep chatter to a minimum, and only post useful information!

1. Getting your PSP to work with Eircom Broadband
    (copied verbatim from Manhog's original post)
    This is a short explanation of how I got my PSP to work with Eircom broadband. With the PSP due out September 1st, it's likely that there will be some people looking to get their PSP connected, so here's how I did it.

A couple of caveats. Firstly, I am using a japanese PSP, version 2.0 firmware, but the network setup details will be the same. Secondly, I am using the Eircom broadband home starter wireless setup, and this configuration refers only to setting up the PSP with the Netopia wireless router. If you have a different setup, please don't assume this configuration will work for you.

Also, I am obviously referring to a wireless setup. I already have laptops running wirelessly from the router and this is how to set up the PSP to do likewise. I'm not talking about setting up a laptop to work as a connection point for the PSP - this is only about how to get the PSP to talk directly to the wireless router itself.

I am using WEP authentication and MAC address filtering in my wireless setup, so I have included instructions here on how to work with that. These instructions may not apply to you depending on your wireless configuration.

1. Go to 'Network Setup' on the PSP and select 'Infrastructure mode'
    2. Create and name a new network connection (e.g. 'Eircom broadband')
    3. Make sure your router is turned on and select 'scan'. The PSP should find your wireless network and give you information such as signal strength etc. Select it to connect. If you can't find it, you are either out of range or your PSP WLAN switch is off (the PSP will tell you if this is the case).
    4. Enter your SSID (if required, the PSP may pick this up for you). It's case sensitive.
    5. If you are using WEP authentication, you'll have to enter your WEP key at this point. It's also case sensitive.
    6. The next screen is 'address settings'. Choose 'custom'.

You need to give your PSP an IP address on the network in the 192.168.1.XXX address range. Enter an IP (such as 192.168.1.60). Make sure it's not an IP address already assigned on your network. Then enter the following information:

Gateway IP address: 192.168.1.254 (your router)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DNS Servers:

7. You'll then get a summary of your settings. Confirm them and select 'test connection'. You should be able to connect from this point. If not, try restarting your router (this is what worked for me).

Troubleshooting:

If you're not able to connect, try restarting your wireless router and ensure that your PSP's WLAN switch is turned on (the switch at lower left, which should be pushed to the up position). Also, if you are restricting access to your connection by MAC address, you'll need to enter the MAC address of the PSP in your router's list of permitted devices. The MAC address for the PSP can be found in the 'system information' menu item on the PSP. Finally, if you are still having problems, try turning the 'WLAN Power Save' settings to 'off' on the PSP. This setting can be found in the 'Power Settings' menu item on the PSP. Here is a checklist you can go through.

- Have you restarted your router to accept the new wireless connection?
    - Are you using MAC address filtering and have you entered the PSP MAC address correctly in your list of allowed devices?
    - Is your WEP authentication key entered correctly (if you are using WEP)?
    - Is your WPA authentication key entered correctly (if you are using WPA)?
    - Ensure your router is set to support 802.11b and 802.11g (mixed mode)
    - Is your PSP WLAN swtich turned on?
    - Have you turned the WLAN Power Save setting to off on the PSP?
    - Did you enter your IP address settings correctly?
    - Are you sure you didn't enter an IP address which is already being used on your network?

Futher information:
    PSP infrastructure mode wireless setup: http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP.as...structure.html
    Eircom broadband support: http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net

I hope this helps a few people when the PSP comes out next month. The PSP browser is decent and it doesn’t support flash either (for now) - which is great.

- Manhog

To be covered:

Connectivity with PS3/Remote Play Functionality
    Movie/Music/Photo playback guide
    Buying a PSP from abroad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭donkey 2002

Hi guys having a probblem with a corrupt data file that can't repair its self I have even gone onto the PS3 shooting site and they don't have answers that I could find.

When I switch on the PS3 it starts up with the music in the background and imediatly says the hard disk has a corrupt data file press X to fix it. Once you press the X button it gets to 25% before stopping for a while then continues on to the end then resets.

Everything then starts all over again with the same message. Any help would be much appreciated

p.s Sorry about the bad spelling a bit stressed out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

**BUMP**

To be covered:

Buying a PSP from abroad

Kudos to Manhog btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Uncle Arthur

hi lads i got a psp there for the christmas and im after buying PES 2009. when i tried to play it, it says i needed to update to software 4.05 before i could play, which was fine but then it said i hadnt enough battery to update it. i had it plugged in but i dont have the actual battery pack for portable play, is that all i need to get to update it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hanson123

for psp update you must use the battery with full charged

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AnthonyK7

Hi Guys,

I bought a Japanese PSP & the O & X Functions are reversed ( X to cancel O to select) .

Does anybody know of a way of configuring the PSP?

I have the latest firmware on Version 5.50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

im so lost with all this jargon i got as far as SSID( what does this mean?

is there anywhere were i can go to learn how to set this uop, as u can see im usless at technology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

bungler wrote: »
    im so lost with all this jargon i got as far as SSID( what does this mean?

is there anywhere were i can go to learn how to set this uop, as u can see im usless at technology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSID

Service Set identifier (SSID)
    Service set identifier, or SSID, is a friendly name that identifies a particular 802.11 wireless LAN. Unless disabled, a client device receives broadcast messages from all access points within range advertising their SSIDs. The client device can then either manually or automatically—based on configuration—select the network to associate. The SSID can be up to 32 characters long. As the SSID displays to users, it normally consists of human-readable ASCII characters. However, the standard does not require this. The SSID is defined as a sequence of 1–32 octets each of which may take any value.

It is legitimate for multiple access points to share the same SSID if they provide access to the same network as part of an extended service set.

Some wireless access points support broadcasting multiple SSIDs, allowing the creation of Virtual Access Points, partitioning a single physical access point into several logical access points, each of which can have a different set of security and network settings. This is not yet part of the 802.11 standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

AnthonyK7 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I bought a Japanese PSP & the O & X Functions are reversed ( X to cancel O to select) .

Does anybody know of a way of configuring the PSP?

I have the latest firmware on Version 5.50

http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-general/27954-swap-x-o-buttons.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gniie

Hello guys.
    Got a PSP problem. My daugter's console was stored in a hanbag for awhile and I think she has damaged the little joystick during this time. I took it apart myself but I can't fix it so it looks like I need to find a replacement joystick for it or even one that has that damaged part in good nick. Any ideas where I can find this spare part or even a place in Dublin that will repair it for her? The PSP was little used and, without the joystick, only some of the games are working on it.
    Any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If it is a PSP 1000 Series ( It will be written under the battery on the console) you could easily replace it your self.

I have a pink analog stick for the 1000 series if this is any use to you? Never used.

If you need a diffrent colour dealextreme.com is where to get them very reasonably, but there is a 2-3 waiting time for delivary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭superref

anyone know how to change the language on psp mine is in german and its confusing how do i change it

superref wrote: »
    anyone know how to change the language on psp mine is in german and its confusing how do i change it

Go all the way left (Settings)
    Scroll down to the psp-like icon (System Settings) and press x
    Select the second option (System Language) and choose English.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Have my PSP connecting to my router but get an IP conflict message popping up on my laptop. The PSP will connect if I use the same static IP address as the laptop but if I try change the IP address on the PSP I keep get connection failure.

The static IP address of the laptop is 192.168.1.101 - so I tried this on the PSP and I was able to connect but if I am trying a few different combinations to ensure there is no conflict but cannot get it to work. Total n00b by the way at this sort of thing:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭torqdj

Hi All,

i bought a playstation 3 yesterday with fifa 09,

the text in the game is nearly impossible to read

i just have a standard 32' tv and im using the cables that came with the ps3 (red white yellow)

does anyone know if i can improve the text quality somehow??

thanks for your help

torqdj wrote: »
    Hi All,

i bought a playstation 3 yesterday with fifa 09,

the text in the game is nearly impossible to read

i just have a standard 32' tv and im using the cables that came with the ps3 (red white yellow)

does anyone know if i can improve the text quality somehow??

thanks for your help

You just have to change the display settings on the ps3, if you have an lcd tv you are sorted but if you are using standard tv then you will have to put up with it.

make sure its going thriugh a pure connection not an adaptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gunny

Hi can anyone let me know if I can get a cable for my sons psp so he can play it on a bigger screen, and if so where. Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hanson123

hi, you can get a av cable for psp 1000,if you want ps me ,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gunny

hanson123 wrote: »
    hi, you can get a av cable for psp 1000,if you want ps me ,,,

Thanks for getting back to me, but Ive since heard that you can only play movies properly and that games are not formatted for a larger screen. It was for the games I really wanted it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Hi hoping someone can help, got a psp while playing games (not just the one but on all 4 of them), i keep getting on the screen

" Due you want to quit the game"
    yes/no?

But i dont wont to quit, happens quite a bit like maybe every 2 mins on a rare treat it wont happen,

what needs to be done or can be done??

It looks like you keep hitting the home button, happens when you play button mashers.
    I bet you use Blanka is Street Fighter 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

AnthonyK7 wrote: »
    It looks like you keep hitting the home button, happens when you play button mashers.
    I bet you use Blanka is Street Fighter 2?

thanks mmm not to sure if im, i did wonder about it,
    :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 scange01

Hi.

Finally got a PSN US account up and running. Downloaded them via pc to my PSP. Paid for them via entropay, but now my EU PSN games won' work. When I tried to download the US games it said this will validate your security certificate, I clicked yeah anyway, bit stupid I guess...! Can anyone tell me the repercussions of this?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

ebooks:

http://download.cnet.com/Psp-Ebook-Creator/3000-2125_4-10499628.html

This allows you to create ebooks to be read on a psp without fiddling about with custom firmware.

I was very pleased with the results, although it required a little tweaking.

If the paragraphs do not have gaps between them, put gaps between them with find/replace. Syntax for carriage return in word is ^p.
    Set the font to white and the background to black. The default font style worked well. Font size of 11 worked well.
    Set it to highest quality for the jpg output.

It would be a lot better if it used pngs for output instead of jpgs. pngs are far better suited for use for graphical text. As it is, the zero compression jpg renders just as clearly, but takes up a significant amount of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Hey

I'm having problems setting up my ps3 to my surround sound

I've set the ps3 audio settings to HDMI and automatic, and it picks up the 5.1 surround sound, but when I turn on the surround sound you can hear it for a few moments and then it cuts out?

My tv and sounds system are philips, with the ps3 connected via hdmi to the tv and the tv and sound system connected together

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BridOD

Hi, Im new to this so please bear with me [im not a techno Mum]. My son is having problems with his PS3. When he turns it on the normal home page comes up however when he puts in a game nothing happens. It is the same thing no matter what game he puts in. Is there any thing that I can do or is is worth fixing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

BridOD wrote: »
    Hi, Im new to this so please bear with me [im not a techno Mum]. My son is having problems with his PS3. When he turns it on the normal home page comes up however when he puts in a game nothing happens. It is the same thing no matter what game he puts in. Is there any thing that I can do or is is worth fixing

Sounds like the blu-ray is not working. Try a blu-ray film.

If it is the blu-ray drive, it can be repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

This thread is here to provide links and information on frequently-discussed topics. Feel free to contribute. Please keep chatter to a minimum, and only post useful information!

1. Getting your PSP to work with Eircom Broadband
    (copied verbatim from Manhog's original post)

To be covered:

Buying a PSP from abroad

After days of struggling trying to connect.........

alas! read your post.... CONNECTED

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Anyone know the best and cheapest plce to buy a replacement charger and memory card for the 2000 series? (PSP-2003)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

peameat wrote: »
    Je ne pouvais pas en croire mes yeux.

get new eyes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

PSP just completely refuses to connect to my router, tried restarting both, router is on b/g/n, using the right authentication and the right password. Have the modem set to allow new devices. Anyone got suggestions? I tried turning the modem's firewall off and it made no difference. It's a Thomson TG585 v8 modem/router. It's failing in testing at the key exchange stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

keep trying to play people online in fifa 11, every time i try, i get a message like "the connection to your opponent has been lost" or "cannot connect at this time". is there something wrong somewhere?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tommyk44

Hi guys having a probblem with a corrupt data file that can't repair its self I have even gone onto the PS3 shooting site and they don't have answers that I could find.

When I switch on the PS3 it starts up with the music in the background an d imediatly says the hard disk has a corrupt data file press X to fix it. Once you press the X button it gets to 25% before stopping for a while then continues on to the end then resets.

Everything then starts all over again with the same message. Any help would be much appreciated

p.s Sorry about the bad spelling a bit stressed out
    take out hdd and format it with your pc you will need to download a program called stakeknife to do this with windows xp,format to fat32 this should solve your problem dont forget to backup before you do this.tutorial on you tube how to use stakeknife- how to format ntsf to fat32 good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

hi
    i have a psp problem i cant connecet my psp to my vodafone wifi my psp is a psp-1000 i think its from japan have anyone any tips to fix this prob its driving me mad

thanks

Advertisement