Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring fees

Options
  • 21-08-2008 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone could please give me some help or advice, my son is going into his final year in college on an honours degree but I just haven't gotten the money to pay his fees of over 3,000 euro which are due next Wednesday. He doesn't qualify for the grant either because he was at another uni before which he left after 2 years ,then worked for a year and went back to a different college and course when he was 22 ( he's 24 now).
    Is there any chance that maybe the college would defer his fees for a year ,has anyone ever gotten theirs defered before ? Btw the college is Dundalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

charliecon wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone could please give me some help or advice, my son is going into his final year in college on an honours degree but I just haven't gotten the money to pay his fees of over 3,000 euro which are due next Wednesday. He doesn't qualify for the grant either because he was at another uni before which he left after 2 years ,then worked for a year and went back to a different college and course when he was 22 ( he's 24 now).
    Is there any chance that maybe the college would defer his fees for a year ,has anyone ever gotten theirs defered before ? Btw the college is Dundalk

Hi charliecon,

I dont know about fee deferral but I know a large bank are offering a 9 month interest free loan to bridge fees / grants etc. Also, another bank offers interest free overdrafts.
    I dont know if I am allowed to mention the names, but I'm sure if you dont know these you can PM me and I will tell you.

charliecon wrote: »

If I'm reading this correctly - have you checked with the college/dept. of education if you definitely have to pay fees for this year? If he left after two years at level 7 or 8 and got no qualification, he'd have to pay fees if he was doing another course at that level for the first two years, and anything after that would be 'free fees' again.

I think most colleges allow you to defer a place for a year (and so he'd have a year out) but as for deferring fees I don't know anything about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭charliecon

Hi Myth ,are you sure about not having to pay the fees cos that would be brilliant if that was the case. I didn't check with anyone about it as I've never heard of that before now ,he just received the fee payment form as normal - same as the last two years - looking for 3,200 euros. It was level 8 four year degree he was doing before in UCD, failed first year then repeated it (paid for that too) and then left it altogether in second year.

He worked for a couple of years before going back to college to do another level 8 three degree in Dundalk and is now going into the last year of it.

I really hope you're right Myth and thank you very very much for the info.

Yeah, that's my understanding of it. Check it out with the college/dept. of education on Monday, and be sure to mention how (and when) he dropped out and didn't get any qualification from the previous course.

Will do ,I'll let you know how it goes and thanks again.

• Advertisement

Great result Myth you were absolutely right he doesn't have to pay the fees this year just the registration of 900 euros:D ,so you have just saved me 2,300 euros cos if I had to have the money I would have paid it and never known anything, what can I say only again thank you very very much you're a star XXXXXX;)
    P.S. Thanks also to cammai for the info on the bank overdraft which my son is going to avail of.

Not a problem. In a final twist, he may be eligible for a grant now (although he'd be based on his income and his parents' income for 2007) - he wouldn't have been eligible in the years he was paying fees but now he would - so check that out too :)

Advertisement