Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sample Answers & Repeat Papers

Options
  • 21-08-2008 3:57pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question - is it normal for colleges to not give out sample answers for an exam paper and also not give out repeat papers? If so, why? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sully wrote: »
    Quick question - is it normal for colleges to not give out sample answers for an exam paper and also not give out repeat papers? If so, why? Thanks

It is normal not to give out sample answers for past papers - that should be covered by the lecturer of the subject as part of revision. That's what I do, anyway.

Not giving out repeat papers is a bit odd. An exam paper is an exam paper. In any of the colleges I have worked, both past end of semester and repeat papers were always provided.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm more talking about sample answers from an exam paper that you sat in either semester. The way I have been lectured is to receive plenty of examples of each topic, and we usuaully get told what topics will be on the exam.

For studying, sometimes I like to look over all papers and see how they answer the questions. I have been unable to get repeat papers or sample answers - they wont give any reason, just that they dont give them out! Seemed a bit odd, as it helps studying (at least for me anyway!)

In Trinity (granted at least two years ago) the lecturers would have give a sample paper if the format of the exam was changed considerably, for example if a new lecturer took over the subject. Repeat exam papers were never given out/put online except by a few generous lecturers who put everything online, and what I heard from lecturers was that it was more to do with if they aren't given out, it is less work for them to do up repeat exams (since they can put the same questions on every few years and no-one would ever know!).

For sample answers I'd agree, I found that annoying when I was doing engineering, but often the lecturer would be willing to go through the question if you had made an attempt at it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Myth wrote: »
    In Trinity (granted at least two years ago) the lecturers would have give a sample paper if the format of the exam was changed considerably, for example if a new lecturer took over the subject. Repeat exam papers were never given out/put online except by a few generous lecturers who put everything online, and what I heard from lecturers was that it was more to do with if they aren't given out, it is less work for them to do up repeat exams (since they can put the same questions on every few years and no-one would ever know!).

That happened with me the last two years - new lecturer, new style. It messed me up big time this year as I had nothing to go by but study the old lecturers past papers - she gave different type questions and different layout. Threw me of doing the paper, so iv to repeat. Its grand now though, I can do the paper no bother as its not a shock anymore. In the WIT, iv never came across a lecturer who will give a sample paper. Just topics for the exam.
    For sample answers I'd agree, I found that annoying when I was doing engineering, but often the lecturer would be willing to go through the question if you had made an attempt at it.

Ya thats true. Sometimes its a bit awkward getting a hold of a lecturer and they usually only skim over it! Difference between the University and IT I suppose?

Advertisement