Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

servicing a 156

Options
  • 21-08-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a 156 alfa 2001/2002

I've done a good bit of work on previous cars I've owned, and wondered is there much extra work involved in servicing an alfa, i.e. plugs, filter etc?

I know the parts are much more expensive, but I wouldnt mind if I could do the simple stuff myself.

Also, I was talking to the garage and asked if it had a service history. he said no, but the car was service at their garage, with the last two owners. Should I take his word for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,914 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they've serviced it, how is that not a 'service history' - or have both owners conveniently thrown away all receipts? They (then garage) should be able to prove the work done really.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Also, I was talking to the garage and asked if it had a service history. he said no, but the car was service at their garage, with the last two owners. Should I take his word for it?
    No, you should walk away.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Parts aren't necessarily any dearer than other cars. Presuming it's a t-spark, the plugs are long life (60k I think) so rarely need attention. They are no different to change than on any other car but are deep set so you'll need a long socket, 14mm (I think). There are 8 plugs.
    The oil and filter are a doddle, the filter is on a housing, in front of the block, and very easy to access. The sump plug has an 8mm (again this is off the top of my head) hex head, get a good hex socket or wrench. It also has a large thread diameter, the oil comes out very quickly, make sure you have something to catch it quickly.
    The bolts on the air filter box are prone to seizing which can make it a bitch to open, be careful you don't force them too much because the nut set into the body of the air filter box can come free and turn inside the plastic meaning it will just turn with the bolt and you'll have to break it off.

Edit: oh yeah, verify the service history, particularly the cam belt. If they can't verify it, at the very least you should demand the cam belt be done, along with a new set of plugs. Also get it up on a ramp and check all suspension links for play.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There's way too many out there to even think about compromising on important issues like service history.

Advertisement