Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merc ML 320

Options
  • 21-08-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Anyone any experience of these? Heading out to look at one tomorrow, can't belive how inexpensive they are second hand ('99 examples with low miles, fsh and all the toys for under €7.5k). Insurance wise it's only an extra €50 pa, tax is going to be a hit but most of the vehicles I'm looking at will be in the high band anyway. Can live with the fuel economy (about 20MPG motorway sound right?), and the 7 seats/ large boot will come in useful from time to time. Would appriciate your thoughts! (Mods, move to 4x4 if you see fit)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi JP - they are not supposed to have a good build quality at all. 20MPG motorway means 20MPG as a best case scenario to me. Did you ever check out that e38?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Early ones had a terrible rep - I think they were once voted the worst car to own in JD power survey.

They ain't up to much to drive and feel a bit cheap inside.
    They got better and the latest one if supposed to be super.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

RobAMerc wrote: »
    They got better and the latest one if supposed to be super.

They should really have given the new version a different model number to distance it from the original one, given the difference in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wasn't the original ML build in the US and exported to Europe?

As already mentioned the original ML has a poor rep for build quality, probably the lowest point of the Mercedes/Chrysler marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Nah, moving house and the like distracted me! I need something with a decent boot so have been pondering estate versions of the E39, but looking at the price of the ML's at the moment got me thinking. The 7 seats would be handy for herself also, the childcare business is up and running and will have 5 kids from next month, with me getting the train weekdays she'd have use of the 7 seater which would give her a bit more flexability. A lot will depend on what trade in I get offered on the 520i, no harm going up and having a look at it tomorrow anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Cheers for the responses, American build quality does't inspire huge confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

It's not for no reason they are so cheap. The fuel consumption alone is comical, 15mpg would be more like it.

Friend bought one a few years ago, similar reasons to yourself, couldn't believe the price, he was putting just under 100 euro into it to get from Dublin to Lahinch and another 100 into it about half way back. After a bit of local pottering during the week it was costing him in the region of 250 - 300 Euro a week to run.

Build quality isn't great but the running costs alone should have you running in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Reliability is a major issue here. We had one at a time for sale, and it costs us thousands in diagnostics with Merc themselves, and the fault kept recurring. Also, when you're finished with it, no matter how cheap you sell it, you'll find it easier to get rid of Aids. 4x4's are out of fashion at the moment, and the amount of them for sale on forecourts is a huge indication of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

bazz26 wrote: »
    Wasn't the original ML build in the US and exported to Europe?

As already mentioned the original ML has a poor rep for build quality, probably the lowest point of the Mercedes/Chrysler marriage.

Afaik, they're still built in merc's factory in alabama and exported to europe.Wikpedia says that they were built in austria until 2002 so the awful early one's would actually be european-built cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

These 2 are your only men for a 7 seat 4x4 though number 2 is a bit more cramped in the back row.

1.Amazon

2.Pajero
    with a MIVEC engine IIRC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ninty9er wrote: »
    2.Pajero
    with a MIVEC engine IIRC
    Think the MIVEC engine was only on the Pajero Evolution (previous generation). you'd really want to be thinking diesel on a bus like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Think the MIVEC engine was only on the Pajero Evolution (previous generation). you'd really want to be thinking diesel on a bus like that.

With the price of it these days I'm not sue it'd matter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

Had one, not much good to say about it, really bad roll in the corners, cheap inside, gaps around doors a small child would fit through! Wouldn't drive by a petrol station without pulling in itself! Better machines out there for the money. Merc e250 estate has 7 seats, its like a hearse inside those things.
    Best of luck with the search!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As others said, these yokes have a terrible reputation for build quality. One of the least reliable cars of the past decade. I drove a 320 petrol (over in the US) a few times and it was sh1te. It wobbled all over the shop. No harm driving one, you'll find out for yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

ninty9er wrote: »
    With the price of it these days I'm not sue it'd matter:D

Vegetable oil .89 cents a litre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Save yourself the hassle and get a G-Klasse instead. Probably the only 4x4 I'd ever consider owning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

a friend has one - he's getting 7 mpg but doesn't care as he only does about 1000 miles a year

Advertisement