Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping with own bag in Lidl

Options
  • 21-08-2008 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was just wondering about something. You know how in Lidl, they only have trolleys and not baskets? Well I never want a trolley as you can't really tell if you could comfortably carry the stuff (it's a 20 minute walk home) and it also encourages me to buy more than I really want. Is it OK to use your reusable Lidl bag to carry your groceries around, before you pay? I was hesitant about doing it in case I got accused of shoplifting, but I saw lots of other people doing it. I have seen other shops in my home town with signs saying 'to avoid misunderstandings, please use trolleys provided' but never noticed such a sign in Lidl in Dublin. It's very handy to use the bag as you can see how much comfortably fits and it's a lot easier than trying to balance everything in your hands! Is this acceptable?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd lean on no for the simple reason that one of the security guards/employees will take it the wrong way eventually. I'd be more inclined to use one of the boxes they leave around or similar instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't see any problem - unless you fill it up and run out onto the street. Anyone seeing you putting stuff in the bag would probably assume that you're a shop-lifter. I saw a woman in a super-market a couple of weeks ago, dropping stuff into an un-marked bag, but when she got to the check-out, she emptied it. I was quite disappointed that there was no scuffle at the exit.

It's better than walking in with no bag and trying to find half a cardboard box to balance your stuff in because you forgot to bring any money for a trolley -as you only ever use a Laser card. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

Well I really don't want any hassle or people thinking I'm a shoplifter. Which would be ridiculous, as Lidl should provide baskets so people aren't forced to use their own bag, but I still don't want the hassle. It just seemed ridiculous that I was walking around balancing all the stuff with an empty Lidl bag in my hand while other people were just putting the stuff in their bag quite openly. The cashiers didn't seem at all bothered, which is why I thought this might be perfectly acceptable in Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

My initial thoughts are to save any potential embarresment and not to do it.
    I notice more and more shops have signs up not to use your bags when shopping.
    Saying that security only ever seem to be at the far end of the cashiers so nobody should say anything unless your seen leaving with a bag having not gone through a cashier.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Shops need to be careful on this one, falsely accusing someone is more aggravation than losing stock. Unless they have the sign you talk about, Id have no problem doing it. Youre perfectly above board until you cross the line past the tills, doing that would show you intend to leave without paying which is the crucial thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

hi op,
    i do this all of the time in aldi with my superquinn or dunnes branded bags. there is no problem doing it. I've seen loads of other people doing it aswell.
    believe me, no one will accuse you of shoplifting.
    :)

Hmm yea I can't see how they could arrest me unless I'd crossed the tills, but I suppose they could come up and give me hassle? I already get hassle the odd time from security guards following me around thinking I'm a foreign national (I'm a quarter Italian, God knows where they think I come from) so I always feel very self conscious doing anything that could be seen as stealing. :rolleyes: I do think a lot of people do it though! Hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

I got asked at the checkout of Aldi/Lidl to pay for the reusable bag that I was reusing.....:o

Oh hmm I didn't think of that! Did you tell them where to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Went bright red and stuttered so looked completely guilty! But it was fine once I explained I had bought the bag before. Am now considering getting the permanent marker to it so that it wont happen again!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Claire121 wrote: »
    Hmm yea I can't see how they could arrest me unless I'd crossed the tills, but I suppose they could come up and give me hassle? I already get hassle the odd time from security guards following me around thinking I'm a foreign national (I'm a quarter Italian, God knows where they think I come from) so I always feel very self conscious doing anything that could be seen as stealing. :rolleyes: I do think a lot of people do it though! Hmm.
    As a student I was a bit well, scruffy...:p and I used to get hassle. The main thing to do is keep your hands where they can be seen, be upfront and confident. Dont do anything furtive.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I do it all the time in Lidl no problems.

I went into Dunnes in Ongar once and was told not to do it any more as it had shop policy. When I walked into the shop there were no baskets left and I went to the counter to get some and there were none so I used my bag instead.

Security guard came over half way through my shop and said you need to use a basket. Anyway it was embarassing as I was explaining there were no baskets and when we went to the counters there were some back there. So I looked stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

they really cant do anything to you until you try to leave the store with the bag. so once you go to the register and pay for everything if they stop you shove the receipt in their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hellbent

No problem using your own bag in lidl or aldi down the country, I see it all the time. Just ensure the checkout person can clearly see that you have fully emptied the bag before you pass through to the street-side of the checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Nody wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to use one of the boxes they leave around or similar instead.

I would, for the sake of it, go with this advice !

sunny2004 wrote: »
    I would, for the sake of it, go with this advice !

With my vast experience of having family members nick the trolley-Euro off the dash-board, I find that suitable boxes in Lidl are as rare as hens' teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Claire

Go for it.

Legally they cannot do anything

You can do what you want legally up to the threshold of the store ie security can only approach you for non-payment after you cross the threshold. If they do otherwise, as mentioned above, it could cost them.

Tell them you have no coins for a trolley, only need 8 items, & are paying by laser

If someone makes an issue of it, ask to see the manager, say the same, & ask why they don't provide baskets (with security tags, of course, as in Tesco)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

hellbent wrote: »
    No problem using your own bag in lidl or aldi down the country, I see it all the time. Just ensure the checkout person can clearly see that you have fully emptied the bag before you pass through to the street-side of the checkout.

+1.I always carry the grocies around the store in a lidl/aldi bag

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Done it lots of time as well. Hold the bag unside down at checkout so they can see you've nothing in the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

ejmaztec wrote: »
    With my vast experience of having family members nick the trolley-Euro off the dash-board, I find that suitable boxes in Lidl are as rare as hens' teeth.

Have you considered CCTV ? :P
    @ OP, what about a string bag !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I do this all the time in Lidl and Aldi, I never use trolleys anywhere. As mentioned above, you cannot be accused of shoplifting until you actually leave the shop, even if you're putting things in your pockets or under your coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

one reason this might be frowned upon in aldi or lidl is because of the system at the till where you empty your trolley onto the conveyor then turn the trolley around to fill it as your items are passed over the scanner.

if you have no trolley this may cause delays at the till as you try to pack your bags pay for your shopping and most people saving time like this will have to search for change or for a laser card to pay and all the time other people are waiting with their trolleys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

Yeah I use a bag in Lidl. Only ever go there to get a fews bits a pieces. I've also been known to put stuff in my pocket when I just pop in to a place to get a few bits and discover I really should have got a basket and am in danger of dropping everything. This obviously would arouse suspicion but I've managed to get away with it :-) Anyway there's no danger of getting into trouble. Its not shop lifting until you leave the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Why not put the bag in the trolley and fill it like that? Like in Superquinn for the Superscan thing. Might be an issue if you don't have the €1 coin but it'd be easy to unpack, wouldn't look dodgy, you'd know if you have too much to carry and you wouldn't have to carry all the stuff around the supermarket with you.

They won't provide baskets because in the choice between baskets and trolleys, more people use trolleys and it makes more sense anyway to encourage people to buy more.

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Have you considered CCTV ? :P
    @ OP, what about a string bag !!!

Oh yes, they sell these in Lidl. I must remember to stuff one up me jumper next time they're in stock. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Why not just go to your local shop where they supply you with baskets , trollies boxes and bags and will even carry your shopping out to your car for you!!!
    They will also tell you not to worry about the 10c you are short , will take all debit and credit cards sponsor your local school, football team , charity , pay all their taxes in ireland and support local suppliers and irish companies as well as employ your kids during the summer.

just a thought.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Why not just go to your local shop where they supply you with baskets , trollies boxes and bags and will even carry your shopping out to your car for you!!!
    They will also tell you not to worry about the 10c you are short , will take all debit and credit cards sponsor your local school, football team , charity , pay all their taxes in ireland and support local suppliers and irish companies as well as employ your kids during the summer.

just a thought.

....and rip you off till the cows come home.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I shop in Lidl with a Superquinn bag and its grand, what I do is place the contents on the conveyer then I flatten the bag and stick it under my arm. Pretty clear its empty.

Oh and the SQ bag is used for its strength, nothing else

Honest. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

ejmaztec wrote: »
    ....and rip you off till the cows come home.:(

Common misconception, when you factor in the cost of travel etc there is very little difference, had an arguement with a friends wife over prices , she said the supermarket was cheaper than her local shop but couldnt tell me the price of any of the basic products yet was adamant that they were cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Shelflife wrote: »
    Common misconception, when you factor in the cost of travel etc there is very little difference,

I would disagree. The difference can be quite a lot. Milk, bread, corn flakes, mushrooms (and other veg, but I remember that one off hand), fruit, and pretty much everything else can be as much as 50% more expensive in local shops when compared to supermarkets. I still buy all of these products in the local shop, as you don't go down to Tesco just to buy a loaf of bread (unless it's beside you), and I generally end up buying something in the local Spar every day. For doing a weekly shop though, the supermarket will be a lot cheaper. The cost of travel shouldn't make any real difference, unless you're going by helicopter or something.

Advertisement