Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping with own bag in Lidl

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Shelflife wrote: »
    Common misconception, when you factor in the cost of travel etc there is very little difference, had an arguement with a friends wife over prices , she said the supermarket was cheaper than her local shop but couldnt tell me the price of any of the basic products yet was adamant that they were cheaper.

It certainly isn't a common misconception with regard to being ripped off. If it were not for the competition brought in by the non-locals, the rip-off would be substantially greater, much like it was before the competition arrived.

People like the Musgraves never got rich by reducing consumers' shopping bills.

Cost of travel? I wasn't aware that the likes of SuperValu tow their stores to your front door to reduce your travel costs.

Housewives tend to know their stuff. If one were to tell you that a supermarket was cheaper, then that's probably because it is.

Isn't Shelflife the name of the Irish grocers' publication?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Common misconception, when you factor in the cost of travel etc there is very little difference, had an arguement with a friends wife over prices , she said the supermarket was cheaper than her local shop but couldnt tell me the price of any of the basic products yet was adamant that they were cheaper.
    my nearest shop sells 2 litres of milk for€2.49 and just up the road lidl sell it for €1.65.
    for most people there is no extra travel cost involved in shopping in a real supermarket instead of a local londis or centra

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

foggy_lad wrote: »
    my nearest shop sells 2 litres of milk for€2.49 and just up the road lidl sell it for €1.65.
    for most people there is no extra travel cost involved in shopping in a real supermarket instead of a local londis or centra
    it costs me about 8c per mile in my avensis. It definitely is cheaper to travel to the supermarket.

OP there is absolutely no problem using your bag for holding your shopping whilst going around the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Cost of travel? I wasn't aware that the likes of SuperValu tow their stores to your front door to reduce your travel costs.

unless the supermarket is beside you its going to cost monet to get there.

Housewives tend to know their stuff. If one were to tell you that a supermarket was cheaper, then that's probably because it is.

most shoppers dont know the price of the products that they are buying.

Isn't Shelflife the name of the Irish grocers' publication?[/quote]

yes it is, but ive no connection to it.

Axer you prob based that on your mpg and the cost of fuel, but you prob havent included maintenance costs, tax, insurance and the biggie depreciation .
    the cost per mile is alot closer to €1.

• Advertisement

Axer you prob based that on your mpg and the cost of fuel, but you prob havent included maintenance costs, tax, insurance and the biggie depreciation .
    the cost per mile is alot closer to €1.
    most people waste more money driving to the local shop than they ever will in a weekly trip to lidl or aldi which will save the average household over €50 weekly

thats true foggy lad , the point im making is that when people travel a 20 mile round trip to save a tenner its a false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

unless the supermarket is beside you its going to cost monet to get there.

most shoppers dont know the price of the products that they are buying.

Isn't Shelflife the name of the Irish grocers' publication?

yes it is, but ive no connection to it.

You must think that all shoppers are stupid. Why would people constantly talk about rip-off Ireland if they didn't know what they were spending?

Because my local town is not competitive enough, mainly thanks to greedy Musgrave franchisees, I can drive twenty miles each way to either a Dunnes or a Tesco in another town - and still make enough savings to cover my costs.

Of course, if the local retailers decided to be more competitive, I would shop there. Unfortunately, they don't feel the need to compete, because they think that they have a captive audience.

thats true foggy lad , the point im making is that when people travel a 20 mile round trip to save a tenner its a false economy.

as stated already unless you travel by helicoptor or jet-car it will not cost most people €10 to drive a few miles to their nearest aldi lidl tesco's or dunnes but they in a lot of cases will be saving in the region of €50!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Seems like this thread as gone a bit off topic.

I don't know about lidl but the other day I didnt have 2 euros for shopping trolly in aldi so just brought my bag.. filled it up and then went to checkout... emptied it out in a very obvious fashion to show that nothing else remained (in case security were watching me). Then I paid.

No problem.. Ill do it again if I need to.

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 NoSummer

Why not mention it to a staff member on the way in? Im gonna use this bag ok?

Advertisement