Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to value your house for selling, without using estate-agent?

Options
  • 21-08-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I want to sell my house (in Dublin 9) without using an estate-agent. They make a lot of money for very little effort. Would anyone know how best to value one's house so I can put it on the market for a sensible price? Thanks for replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Anyone know where I can get prescription drugs on the internet? I went to my GP yesterday and all he did was write a note for anti-biotics. I could have diagnosed myself on google............ He earns a lot for doing very little....;)

Back on topic, google your address, look for similar properties, price accordingly. Can I have 2% for that advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

I don't think EAs charge for the initial valuation (that might have changed since I sold up in 2003 though). Let 3-4 of them view the place and give you their opinion. You don't have to take it any further.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I suggest visiting similar type houses in the area, under the guise of being interested in purchasing them (visit several). It will give you an idea of what other sellers are doing to their houses to try to make them more saleable in the current market- and perhaps give you a few ideas re presentation etc. Also throw in a few lowball offers to get a feel of where other sellers in the area really are at- irrespective of what the headline guideprices actually are. Obviously a property is only worth what a purchaser is willing to pay for it. If there are buyers out there looking at properties in your area- you are trying to guage what they think those (and your) properties are worth to them. Once you know what their expectations are- then its your job to try to cater to those expectations- without killing yourself in the process.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You can ask an estate agent to give you a valuation without necessarily using them for selling the house.

I was switching mortgage provider last year, and had to get the place valued. It cost approx 100 euro to have an agent come out, take a look around, ask a few questions and fill in a form for the bank. It's not free, but probably considerably cheaper than if they take a percentage of the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Estate agents tend to give high valuations if you say you are selling your house. This is because most people will go with the agent that suggests the highest valuation for their house. Once you have signed with an agent, that agent will immediately begin working on reducing your price expectations to a more reasonable level.

You can get a more independent valuation from a pure valuations company that is not an estate agent such as

http://www.valuations.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement