Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance Quote Legal Mumbo Jumbo....

Options
  • 21-08-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭

Hi. Heres something for all the wannabe solicitors out there...

If an Insurance company quotes you without asking specific questions (in my case..."Do you rent a room"), are you still covered if somethign happens to this?

I got a decent quote from Quinn but they did not ask this Q. AIB then quoted me 20% more expensive but that was after asking do i rent a room...

The chancer in me fancies the cheaper quote but the "old and wise head" inside me says "ask the boardsies - sure they know everything!" :pac:

Your thoughts my good people....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

If you withhold a material fact from the insurer then you may not be cover in the event of a claim.

If you rent a room and the tenant runs away with something then the insurer could well refuse the claim on the basis that you have withheld information.

It's your responsibility to disclose all information.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Withholding any information which is relevant to the insurance policy will invalidate that policy. This is known as "Utmost Good Faith", basically meaning that the insurer holds it in good faith that you've disclosed all material facts as Orobhsa puts it.

Advertisement