Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting target shooting in Dublin

Options
  • 21-08-2008 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hey guys,

My dad and I are looking for somewhere to start target shooting in the Dublin area and were wondering where you guys would suggest looking to start. We recently bought a new .22 Webley and Scott air rifle so any ranges that could cater for air rifle shooting would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Techknow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

First place to start is to have a look at the Boards shooting Wiki here.

What sort of Webley air rifle is it? If it's the 'springer' type, it may not be really suitable for target shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 techknow

yeah its a break-barrel spring powered air rifle. I am not looking to partake in serious target shooting to the extent that I would change the rifle just to do it. Thanks for the wiki link, I'll take a look now.

edit: after taking a look at the wiki, Dublin Target Sports Club seems like a suitable club, but it doesn't mention air rifles at all? Does anyone know if they do indeed facilitate air rifles?

DTSC don't do air rifle. Generally you need to be indoors for Air Rifle target shooting and DTSC don't have an indoor range. You could try it outdoors, but you're adding a handicap to an already handicapped situation.

You won't get any consistency from a springer, it'll end up frustrating you. I'm speaking from experience as an owner of a Webley springer.

They're really only good for plinking I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Actually, if he's got a .22 air rifle, field air rifle is probably better suited to the kit he has. Thing is, I don't know too many people doing it even in N.Ireland, and none in the ROI. But it'd be simple to set up - take some standard metallic silhouettes, stick them downrange on the ground at various distances, and shoot away. That's not a regulation setup, but it would do to get you started.

Sparks wrote: »
    Actually, if he's got a .22 air rifle, field air rifle is probably better suited to the kit he has. Thing is, I don't know too many people doing it even in N.Ireland, and none in the ROI. But it'd be simple to set up - take some standard metallic silhouettes, stick them downrange on the ground at various distances, and shoot away. That's not a regulation setup, but it would do to get you started.

I had thought of Field Air, but to be honest the lads shooting that have very advanced kit indeed. Apart from the whole problem of finding somewhere to do it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MortgageMan

Try Hilltop, indoor 25 yard range suitable for air rifle.

Call Pat 086 2502201 www.pcquad.com

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

techknow wrote: »
    Hey guys,

My dad and I are looking for somewhere to start target shooting in the Dublin area and were wondering where you guys would suggest looking to start. We recently bought a new .22 Webley and Scott air rifle so any ranges that could cater for air rifle shooting would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Techknow

You would be more than welcome to visit Dublin Target Sports Club. We are interested in setting up air rifle. I have seen field air rifle in Bisley and it is good fun.

Falling plates, spinners and novelty targets.

Sikamick

Advertisement