Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics and politics-Arts Omnibus

Options
  • 21-08-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

About to start first year arts, just wondering could anyone who has taken these subject before give me any information on them,what they're like, what they entail, exam process etc.
    Also would I be at a great disadvantage not having done economics for leaving cert, even though the prospectus says it isn't necessary?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

Hey im in the same boat - im going into first year arts and ive never taken an economics class in my life but it seems really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

About to start first year arts, just wondering could anyone who has taken these subject before give me any information on them,what they're like, what they entail, exam process etc.
    Also would I be at a great disadvantage not having done economics for leaving cert, even though the prospectus says it isn't necessary?

Thanks. :)

Ok did 3 of the 4 economics modules. Didnt do Quants, but may do it as an elective.

Macroeconomics: Deals more broadly with the economic world...actually, UCD_Econ should explain these, sure he'd be able to. Exam is an MCQ.

Oh, and if ya wanna bored off your tits for a few months, then do Economics & Society..single-handed worst thing I've ever had to do in terms of education. Dull, boring lecturers dont help an already poor subject. Was also sick as a dog forthe eam, having to do some small essays.

MicroEc: Similar to macro, except deals more with how a company would operate, rather than nations may operate. Also an MCQ. I cant believe I passed any of these modules:D

EDIT: I didnt do Economics for the LC, and scrapped through woth some work(emphasis on some). It would be handy to have done it, means ya dont use up time making sure ya know a lot of meanings. But it is possible to do it withou having done it before...good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

I liked economics, i went into maths and economics in arts then put my name down to go on to pure economics after first year. If you don't like politics or you really like economics, i'd advise going for this.

It makes no difference if you didn't do it for leaving, its pretty different. I wasnt a huge fan of LC economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Try looking at the websites, they may be of some assistance to you:

http://www.ucd.ie/economics/undergraduate.htm

Politics don't have much on their homepage.

I did economics in first year and got through fine despite the fact I hadn't done it for the LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Okie dokie...

Undergrad economics assumes no prior knowledge, except common sense :)

There are four economics modules available in first year: Micro (dealing with the consumer and the firm), Macro (the bird's eye view of the economy, so to speak), Quantitative Economics (applied maths to economics), and Economics & Society (basic principles of economic common sense to 'real life').

You need to have done Micro, Macro, and Quantitative Econ to proceed with the subject (either with a minor/major or as a single subject major). Economics and society is an acquired taste and it's not required that you take it. It's the least technical of the four but it is worth doing, reaction is varied - some like it, some don't. Take it and decide for yourself :) Moore McDowell (the lecturer) is a very nice and helpful man (and he always reminds me of a gummy bear with a beard :D).

None of the courses are very difficult - if you can differentiate then you'll do quite well in quantitative economics. For the love of god attend the tutorials and do the work Dr. Whelan assigns and you'll have no problems.

Read:
    http://www.ucd.ie/economics/ughb.pdf
    http://www.ucd.ie/economics/ug.modules.07.08.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Okie dokie...
    Moore McDowell (the lecturer) is a very nice and helpful man (and he always reminds me of a gummy bear with a beard :D).

True, but he's gone this year. Wonder who they'll get in to replace him?

True, but he's gone this year. Wonder who they'll get in to replace him?
    I heard that too but I also heard he was staying to remain on the governing council until that time is up? If he was to leave it's quite a loss :(. I'd guess Colm and maybe Frank Walsh would take the class. Moore is still listed as the module coordinator for 08/09.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Robaato

Does it matter if you only take econmics for 10 credits and then want to continue with it in stage two? or do you have to take it for at least 20 credits to move forward in it?

I already answered that but:
    UGHB wrote:
    For those who wish to continue studying economics in stages 2 and 3 as part of their degree programme (see next section for the ways in which this can be done), it is necessary to take the following modules:
    ECON 10010 Principles of Microeconomics,
    ECON 10020 Principles of Macroeconomics,
    ECON 10030 Introduction to Quantitative Economics
    We advise you to take these three modules in stage 1. You are also welcome to take our fourth module ECON 10040 Economics and Society although it is not a necessary prerequisite for taking economics in year 2.
    So that would be a minimum of 15 credits in the three listed modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Robaato

Oh sorry about that, i didnt see it before.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

politics is great in first year. its usually political theory, irish politics, comparative politics and international politics. They're usually a combination of essays, tutorial work and exams. A lot of people say its hard to get good marks in politics, but in my experience its no harder than any other subject.

imo the politics department in ucd are really great, most of the lecturers are brilliant.

politics works really well with economics, also with history and sociology.

hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm doing a politics/sociology joint major. I agree with princess-sprkle, I really enjoy politics - nearly all the lecturers I've had have been excellent imo and the subject isn't as hard as people make out (again, imo). You'll probably hear 'horror stories' of massive failure rates etc. but they seem to relate to attendance etc. rather than the difficulty of what's covered. It's possible to do really well in politics without putting in excessive amounts of work (I'm speaking from experience here!). Just go to the lectures, do a bit of reading and show up any tutorials for the modules (10% of nearly all the 1st and 2nd year modules' final marks are just for showing up to tutorials) and you'll get on fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Politics and economics are an excellent combination... my advice is don't shirk on the maths and quants though, as they will increase the value of your degree regardless of what you go on to do.

To fill in some more about politics:

Irish politics in semester 1 is a breeze - just all the basic facts that any student or citizen should know and an introduction to some of the latest trends in elections and voting behaviour.

Political theory is probably the most challenging of the 1st year modules. It has recorded high failure rates in the last few years. But if you a) go to all the tutorials b) submit all continuous assessment c) follow the tutors advice on studying for the exam... then there is little chance of failing. It is just that so many students are only easing into college and don't show up for things and get taken by surprise on this one.

International relations is a very popular module, partly due to the charismatic lecturer who teaches on it. It's not at all difficult. Doing the MCQs, essay, studying a bit.... automatic pass. It introduces students to all the basics of world politics that they should already know... the harder IR theory is introduced in second year.

Comparative politics is changing next year with a new lecturer. My insider information on this module tells me it will be very good, however!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

its usually political theory, irish politics, comparative politics and international politics.

Do you have to do all 4 modules to progress to stage 2 in politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Raemie wrote: »
    Do you have to do all 4 modules to progress to stage 2 in politics?
    You have to do two, one being Political Theory (http://www.ucd.ie/spire/undergraduate/stageone.html). If I had to pick 1 from the other 3 I'd recommend doing Comparative Politics at as well, you'll cover a lot of stuff in it that'll be useful in 2nd and 3rd year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    I heard that too but I also heard he was staying to remain on the governing council until that time is up? If he was to leave it's quite a loss :(. I'd guess Colm and maybe Frank Walsh would take the class. Moore is still listed as the module coordinator for 08/09.

Frank WAlsh is grand but he's not very entertaining for a course like that.

Advertisement