Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No NCT

Options
  • 21-08-2008 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Just came home from work to find a summons to go to court for not displaying an NCT. :( Just wondering if anyone knows what sort of penalty I'm likely to get or does it depend on the judges mood at the time? Don't know what to expect. I've never even seen the inside of a court beofre. lol.
    Totally wasn't expecting that, at the time the guard said just present licence and insurance at my local station and get the NCT sorted. (all of which I did) plus the fact it happened 11 months ago so i assumed it was sorted. lol.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

Oh and just wondering, I thought there was something about them having to issue a summons within six months or something? Or is that just what people wrongly believe? I'm not trying to worm my way out or anything I know I was wrong etc. but at the moment the last thing I need is a fine or worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭ElvisP

some judge in cork (i think) got fined E250 a few months back for no NCT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

I've been pulled over a number of times for tax and insurance (both of which are up to date) and the cops have never even mentioned that i didn't have an nct disc displayed (due since jan 07).
    A friend got lippy with the cops when he got pulled over before and he got done for no nct. Ended up in court and got €100 fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

Hey. Thanks for the replies. Put my mind at ease a bit. I was fearing the worst. But just a follow up question. I just noticed, my second name is spelled slightly wrong on the summons. ie. lets imagine my name is smith. it's spelled like simth. I've heard of people getting off because of this before. Does it still make a difference?
    Like i said I know i was wrong etc. but I could really do with not having to pay a possible €250 fine at the moment, so please no 'just take it like man you were wrong'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

N_Raid wrote: »
    Hey. Thanks for the replies. Put my mind at ease a bit. I was fearing the worst. But just a follow up question. I just noticed, my second name is spelled slightly wrong on the summons. ie. lets imagine my name is smith. it's spelled like simth. I've heard of people getting off because of this before. Does it still make a difference?
    Like i said I know i was wrong etc. but I could really do with not having to pay a possible €250 fine at the moment, so please no 'just take it like man you were wrong'

well that lophole with the incorrect name is worthless now as they just reissue new ones

i got off with the very same problem recently as i was told i would recieve a fine in the post and to pay it. about 8 months later got the summons, rang the guard on the summons and stated to her that i wasnt afforded my rights under the road traffic act which states that you have x amount of days to pay a fine and x amount of days escalation before a summons is issued. so she just told me she would stand up in court and strike it out...which she did

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

N_Raid wrote: »
    Just came home from work to find a summons to go to court for not displaying an NCT. :( Just wondering if anyone knows what sort of penalty I'm likely to get or does it depend on the judges mood at the time? Don't know what to expect. I've never even seen the inside of a court beofre. lol.
    Totally wasn't expecting that, at the time the guard said just present licence and insurance at my local station and get the NCT sorted. (all of which I did) plus the fact it happened 11 months ago so i assumed it was sorted. lol.

Why can the NCT not be treated with the same importance as Insurance and tax, by receiving reminders through the post.
    For some ridiculous reason, there are no NCT reminders delivered to your address now.
    Life is too damn busy to keep checking when your NCT is due.
    What would happen if we didn't receive tax and insurance reminders?

Advertisement