Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm delighted with the current state of Garda / PSNI cooperation...

• 21-08-2008 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi guys, it's come to my attention in recent weeks, the amoiunt of cooperation currently going on which is making the border non-existant to criminals and the like unlike a few years ago with the State line syndrome. No more extraditions etc.Here are some headlines that grabbed me in the past few weeks...

In particular:
    A male murdering someone in Derry and getting charged with this murder in the Republic...Will this case be transferred to a Crown court in future, or will it be tried completely down here?

An off duty foreign legion lad threatening Gardai saying he had a gun, fleeing over the border, getting stopped by armed PSNI and charged for offences that occurred in the South! Class!

Early morning raids on both sides of the border in relation to the murder of Paul Quinn, great cooperation on both sides leading to arrests and detentions.

Finally...
    Gardai arrested someone in relation to the sickening RPG attack on PSNI beat members that occurred in Fermanagh!

These recent news items show how much this island has achieved in the past few years.I'm proud!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Yes and. interestingly, the fella accused of the murder in Derry has opted to have his trial in the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

I agree we have come a long way in recent years and the co-operation will hopefully get better as time goes by.

other emergency services around the border also train together in joint operation scenarios such as major emergencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Yes and. interestingly, the fella accused of the murder in Derry has opted to have his trial in the Republic.

I wonder why? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Its stupid really that we see this as a big issue isn't it? Law abiding people everywhere expect law enforcement agencies to co-operate and crack on with whats important to joe public; arresting villains.

Good stuff on the part of the Guards and PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

And hopefully if TETRA is rolled out right theyll be able to communicate together too.

Fair play lads keep it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Another example of cross border co-operation was last year (???) when the Gardai and PSNI raided "The Slab" Murphy's farm, the Garda helicopter was used on both sides of the border.

Oh how I laughed after all the years The Slab only had to walk from one room to another to cross the border and got away with alot of crap.

Politics in my opnion was the only obstacle standing in our way of proper policing and it should never be involved in policing in the first place.

Mutz wrote: »
    I wonder why? :rolleyes:

But, speaking generally and not in anyway related to this sub judice case, remission is higher in Northern Ireland than here.:) I think it's 50 per cent there.

And in relation the Paul Quinn investigtion, the co-operation has been huge: gardai have crossed the border to carry out inquiries with their colleagues in the PSNI.
    I think that is hugely important. It was publicised at the time, around five months ago, but the significance wasn't really picked up on.
    Only a few years ago, that would have been unthinkable.

Advertisement