Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Shadow_1409

My debs was great fun, didnt spend that much on drinks and still had a great time. :D
    Got my picture in the paper too, Westmeath Examiner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

if a girl asked you to her's, do you reckon the fella should buy flower's and choc's?

do people still wear tux's? i hear a lot of people are wearing slacks, shirt and matching color tie to the girls dress lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Diarmaid07

Tux - 100e
    Tickets - Free =D (debs committee... normally 140e)
    flowers, chocolates and corsage - 50e
    drinks - 100e

so, 250 euro, and I'm going to a second where I'll already have the tux (I bought an ex rental) so good price!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Don't go by yourself.. bring a friend / cousin / neighbour... anyone you can have a bit of craic with... After the meal its just like any other night out, except everyone looks better! :D

If you arrive alone it may be more awkward... "wheres your date?!" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Does anyone ever not go? I'm not too keen on the idea of wasting all that money for one poxy night. And besides, I only joined the school I'm currently in at 5th year, so I still hardly know people.
    I doubt I'd be able to get someone to go with me either. And why is it necessary to arrive in a bloody tux and fancy-ass shoes? Why can't people be themselves and dress normally, eh? Is it all just for the chance of getting your photo taken in the local paper or what? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm sure there are people who don't go. A friend of mine had to be practically forced into buying a ticket. She really didn't want to go.

In retrospect, part of me wishes I hadn't got tickets either, because it'll be an extremely expensive night which I probably won't enjoy. (Not to be pessimistic, but I hate formal gatherings like that, particularly when everyone ends up off their face.) But it'll probably be the last time I ever see some schoolmates so I may as well go. And it's my 19th birthday, so it'll be a relatively easy way to celebrate in style.

Finding a dress will be a pain, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nycman

conzymaher wrote: »
    Don't go by yourself.. bring a friend / cousin / neighbour... anyone you can have a bit of craic with... After the meal its just like any other night out, except everyone looks better! :D

If you arrive alone it may be more awkward... "wheres your date?!" etc

Bring your cousin?!:eek:

Hillbilly Alert :D:D

Only kidding:D

Did I say cousin? I meant YORE MA!!!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nycman

Ah the Your Ma jokes rears its ugly head on boards.ie. Good one.

I think boards.ie invented the YORE MA joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Certainly true.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Does anyone ever not go? I'm not too keen on the idea of wasting all that money for one poxy night. And besides, I only joined the school I'm currently in at 5th year, so I still hardly know people.
    I doubt I'd be able to get someone to go with me either. And why is it necessary to arrive in a bloody tux and fancy-ass shoes? Why can't people be themselves and dress normally, eh? Is it all just for the chance of getting your photo taken in the local paper or what? :confused:

I don't really want to go either, I'm not really into the whole "formal p*ssup" thing, and I don't like most of the people in my year... my friends all think I'm crazy but I'd rather put my money into my car. I can go out for a lot cheaper 2 days afterward, and I won't have to wear a poncey dress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Well my debs was SO much fun, one of the best nights ever definitely :D There's nothing wrong with going on your own, once the meal is over everyone splits up anyway! Whatever you do just make the most of your night because it probably will be the last time you see alot of your classmates.

On a side note - I'm going to my boyfriend's debs next week and I'm wondering am I supposed to bring flowers and chocolates for his mum? I've got him a little present already but I'm not sure about the above! Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

no i dont think u have to get his mam anything its only the lad that does that i think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Someone doesn't remember the "Yo' Momma" jokes of the 90s....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

I had mine last night!

Good times. :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Master Splinter

Been to 3 already and another next week, the things i coulda done with all that money:eek::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 grazielle

tasha1 wrote: »
    I had mine last night!

Good times. :]

tasha it was so good! i cant believe people are thinkin of not goin! i was dreading ours for nearly the whole summer but i couldnt be more glad i went.. lots of people are moving away soon and its such a novelty to see everyone all dressed up!! seriously you'll regret not going, especially if you got on with people in your year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

I don't even like half of our year Gracie and it was awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭patrickdt10

fivetwenty wrote: »
    Hello? Catastrophic Debs alert!
    may i ask why ther was no drink.:eek:? did ye have the debs in a community centre or what?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭patrickdt10

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Go ta hel wit ya. sur it be a great nite.
    Just about wearin your normal clothes.
    its a debs. IE. Debutantes ball..............debutante.......ie a person entering the adult work life thingy.....................your meant too look respectable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

Apart from any people who were actually going out in the year, NOBODY in our year brought dates. One year a pile of knackers gatecrashed it and stole some stuff so there's a rule against bringing in foreign students... As in not from our school, they're not racist or anything...

But yeah, no dates, no pressure, no excuses. Was great, only 5 people ended up throwing up. 2 of those passed out. Only problem was that the guy who passed out was having the houseparty afterwards and it had to be cancelled. Ruined the night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

ChiefBrody wrote: »
    Apart from any people who were actually going out in the year, NOBODY in our year brought dates. One year a pile of knackers gatecrashed it and stole some stuff so there's a rule against bringing in foreign students... As in not from our school, they're not racist or anything...

But yeah, no dates, no pressure, no excuses. Was great, only 5 people ended up throwing up. 2 of those passed out. Only problem was that the guy who passed out was having the houseparty afterwards and it had to be cancelled. Ruined the night...

Your so lucky with the no dates thing. In my school it's such a big deal I'm the only person I know who hasn't got someone to bring. I don't care and I don't want to bring a stranger but all my friends are like "Oh my god!!Why aren't you bringin' someone?! Oh My God!!" so irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

others getting a corsage ye???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Mine's at the start of october. Considering not going. I have someone to go with, but she'd be grand on her own haha. I will have to go into college next day anyway since it'll be my second day of college....so first day for some of my subjects.

I honestly think I'd just prefer to stay at home and get a good nights sleep.

Haven't paid for anything besides one ticket yet. Supposed to be arranging tux this weekend, haven't arranged limo yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Mines tomorrow :(

Not really looking forward to it, not a dancing type of guy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I've considered not going plenty of times... mine's the 3rd of October so the Friday of freshers week, and the hassle will be mighty. But it'll be the last time I see a lot of people in my year again, and any excuse to get my boyfriend into a suit will be worth it... I just have to find and buy a dress. Blegh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Sacamus

Mine is next week. I asked a young lady (I am, after all, a young man) as my girlfriend is Germany but it clashed with her college orientation day. Then, after a whole load of thought and stress, it dawned on me - ask Eoghan (Eoghan being the drummer in my band)! And that is what I did: I'm not too keen on the formality/significance of the whole thing so why not bring someone I can have a laugh with instead of panicking and asking some poor girl who I half-know? If the OP is still on edge then I implore you, don't fuss too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Sacamus wrote: »
    Mine is next week. I asked a young lady (I am, after all, a young man) as my girlfriend is Germany

You're going out with Germany? well done! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

I actually couldnt give a toss about my grads friday, afterall this time last week id of been in a pub in shorts drinking €2 drinks in the sunshine with over 20 mates.
    Dressing up and everything just seems like way too much hassle

Advertisement