Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIABETICS!!: whats your HBA1c???

Options
  • 21-08-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

hi just wondering out of curiosity really i suppose, what are your average HBA1c readings?? mine were always about 9ish never went higher than 9.7 and recently they are about 7.9-8ish...
    yours please?? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think my last one was about 8%, I'd been travelling a lot tho. Due my next one next month, realistically it'll probably be about the same..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't know at the moment as my last checkup never actually happened. This does remind me that I really should go back and see them again though.

Think before that I was generally just above the 7 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

usually ranges from 6.1 to 6.5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wada

my daugerters

9.8 then june 2007
    9.8 then sep 2007
    9.2 then jan
    8.7 april

appt next month and we will get a slap on the wrist recon they will be about 10 she has had high blood sugars for about 2 months and has been waking up at 13.4 - 20.5 and some mornings 3.4 just cant get it right. trying somthing else for last few days and it seems to be working. the blood glucose monitor we have gives you an average 14 day reading a month ago it was 19.7 over 14 days now it is 9.6 but shes having lots of hypos.

she hurt tendons in her leg 3 months ago and was on crutches for 3 weeks and a month ago she broke her nose and had to have it reset 2 weeks later they think the stress could have been a factor in her high blood sugars

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Usually in the low 7s.

My last one in June was 6.6 though, delighted with that. Previous one was 7.8 in January. Starting college obviously didn't help during that time...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mine is 7.8, pretty pissed off with that one, usually hitting the 6.5 to 6.8 mark, i blame it on lots of travel and college though, hopefully i'll get back on track in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Mines 8.9 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

around the 13.5 mark, down from 14.7. Go me! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 multiformat14

Type 1 nearly a year now so by no means an old hand at diabetes , I get fed up with the clinic criticising my diary levels although my HBA1c's have been falling steadily since first diagnosed. Last time it was taken I was mid 6's but expect it to be up next visit because the experts lowered my lantus.I get little encouragement from them so in a way its good to see that others are getting higher numbers than me , sometimes I feel as though I'm not doing well....constant reminders and lectures about eye damage ,amputations etc. do nothing to keep my morale up when I'm still struggling to come to terms with my condition. My daily spread can be anything from 4 up to 15 ....if it goes up above 10 I feel as though I hav'nt got it under control....am I being too critical ?

are you going to the mater?

Thats the Mater (hospital) I presume ;)

Mike

yeah :) the way multi describes the team reminds me of a Dr in the Mater who I found a little brusque, mind you wherever I am in the world, all the doctors know of this guy, so he's obviously doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

it's a very fine line between encouraging someone to do better and completely causing them to give up.

too fine for me :) I moved out to St. Vincents

any better or greener grass

SeaSide wrote: »
    any better or greener grass

much better for me. While I do need a kick in the ass every now and again, my current Dr. is very sympathetic and willing to discuss anything, even if it's a crap idea on my part. He's waaay more approachable.

6.0 btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭thischarmingman

mine is 6.1.

its amazing what the bit of regular exercise does lads...its the only way (though i'm panned out on the couch now)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

mine is 10-12:( and im attending st james which i dont like at all.Im soon going to change to tallaght:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wada

My daughter just got hers on the 10th sept, ( she turned 9 on the 16th) i thought they would be 10 because she had a reading of 19 over a 14 day period.

They were 8.7 down by .2 from 8.9 (june) going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

mine 7.2 - not sure though if it is not because of the low sugars that are not detected :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

First (and last until december!) = 6.5 % OH YEAH!! :D

Pah, call yourself a diabetic?! Should be 7.5 at least :pac:

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

What is the aim?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

To keep it under 7, although I think some of them may have lowered the target number a bit further now.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Mine was 6.9 last visit - has got better since on the pump. Was in 7's before pump, ever since has been mid to high 6's.

I am attending the Mater but think of changing to Vincents, have been attending for few years now but not too happy with one of the consultants in there, nurses very good tho. Do Vincents have a pump clinic??

philten wrote: »
    Mine was 6.9 last visit - has got better since on the pump. Was in 7's before pump, ever since has been mid to high 6's.

I am attending the Mater but think of changing to Vincents, have been attending for few years now but not too happy with one of the consultants in there

Doctor F, by any chance? Not sure about vincents having a pump clinic, I'd guess they do tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Thats the one - they were making changes a bit too easily for my liking without getting the full picture. e.g. looking at last 3 days reading and changing my basal rates up and down, imo need to look back further than that to get a pattern, tried saying this but were not listening! :o

Advertisement