Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIABETICS!!: whats your HBA1c???

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

tbh wrote: »
    ...I know you're an athlete...

I can't let that comment go actually, the guys on the ART forum would say otherwise and that I'm a lazy git who doesn't try hard enough. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

tbh wrote: »
    actually, do you mind me asking, why are you having so many hypos? Too much insulin or too little food? From what you've posted on here before, my suspicion would be you're a tester-and-correcter, would that be true? How many jabs a day?

I'm asking all this just out of curiousity, btw, don't feel any obligation to reply if you don't want to - I know the dangers of postprandial highs for pregnant diabetics, and I imagine its a nightmare, but you've mentioned lots of hypos before you got pregnant, right?
    Not in pregnancy mode my sugars are affected by my time of the month, at the moment they are affected by the pregnancy, my unborn is producing insulin at this stage so I do not need to make extra for them. I do tend to vary what I eat a lot and even though I know the carbs for the most part I can not always eat the right amount as my stommachophagus does not let me finish a meal depending on how it is acting up, it also absorbs food wierdly now since the surgery and it does not absorb food the same way all the time. So I could give myself insulin and not be able to eat enough carbs for it. I am also supposed to snack as I can not eat enough at main meals to get enough calories in (this is from the surgery). This is why I have the lows...I do work on it by testing and yes I would take 2 extra units a day on average as correction and I do find that blood sugars above 7 give me headaches so I avoid this where possible except after meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Hey all

Im new to this thread anda new diabetic 3 years.
    The first 2 years i was very bad didnt want to change thought i coulddo everything eating and drinking wise as before.

Well the last year i copped on and grew up bout time i am 27:) and started looking after myself.

I was dong really well up too 6 months ago until i broke my leg and i couldnt train. For the three months i was in a cast every one of my readings were above 10.

Now that im back training in getting hypo after hypo juat cant seem too get it right and its really afftecting me and my training.

Anyway little moan over just wanted too say hi

Ye will see alot more of me on here looking for advice as i try get this under control:p

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Hey all

Im new to this thread anda new diabetic 3 years.
    The first 2 years i was very bad didnt want to change thought i coulddo everything eating and drinking wise as before.

Well the last year i copped on and grew up bout time i am 27:) and started looking after myself.

I was dong really well up too 6 months ago until i broke my leg and i couldnt train. For the three months i was in a cast every one of my readings were above 10.

Now that im back training in getting hypo after hypo juat cant seem too get it right and its really afftecting me and my training.

Anyway little moan over just wanted too say hi

Ye will see alot more of me on here looking for advice as i try get this under control:p

Good for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

I am type 2, 2 years today and have rarely been below 10 on my readings,last HBA1c was 13. I have not had a single hypo,I am on Victoza 1.8, 1 dose per day and glucophage 500mg,2 twice daily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

would you mind me asking you if you exercise at all?

Im applying for a scholarship to look at type 2 diabetics attitudes, motivations and barriers to exercise.:o

eilo1 wrote: »

Im applying for a scholarship to look at type 2 diabetics attitudes, motivations and barriers to exercise.:o

If you are asking me,not that much at the moment,I used to do a lot of walking but with the weather over the last three months I have not been doing as much as I should.

Thanks for the reply, does the walking make any difference to your bloods?

Not a significant difference,maybe 1 or 2 points after 40 minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You should try and get in contact with Dr. Murphy in Vincents as I know he organises excercise groups for type 2 Diabetics, I also know that his brother is a lecturer in IT Tallaght and organises a Masterclass in conjunction with Prof. Newsholme in UCD on Excercise and metabolic syndrome entitled DRHEA Master Class on ‘Application of Exercise to Metabolic Disease: From Science to Therapy’. It was on in late February last year.

Sounds like it might be in your area. FOC if your a student in the Dublin area.

• Advertisement

Thats great, thanks Cram Cycle!!

I wanted to do the study on an exercise class but was informed i wouldnt get approval as Im an undergrad. So I have to stick to surveying etc. But I will definitely have a look into what vincents are doing!

Im planning on asking O'Shea in Loughlinstown as I am a patient there and they are very proactive about research etc.

Ideally I would love to put newly diagnosed young type 2's on an intensive exercise and diet regime and see if it is possible to avoid starting medication. (obviously wouldnt be appropriate for all dm2's but hopefully could help some)

Ideally I would love to put newly diagnosed young type 2's on an intensive exercise and diet regime and see if it is possible to avoid starting medication. (obviously wouldnt be appropriate for all dm2's but hopefully could help some)

You may have been beaten to it, well the start of it. I'm fairly sure Prof. Nolan is leading a similar study in MODY patients in James, but I could be wrong.

Where are you an undergrad and what year are you in? If you don't mind (you can PM me either if you don't want to say) and I might be able to recommend contacts for the type of research you are interested in, could be the basis of an interesting MSc or PhD proposal if you get the background sorted in your undergrad, considering the competition for funding nowadays, the earlier you can show your interest, the more beneficial to a funding application, if thats your bag.

Hi Cram Cycle,

Sorry for the late reply I was away for a few days,

Im in ucd and a 3rd year physio student. I am hoping to work with O'Shea in Loughlinstown.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks!! :p

Hi Cram Cycle,

Sorry for the late reply I was away for a few days,

Im in ucd and a 3rd year physio student. I am hoping to work with O'Shea in Loughlinstown.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks!! :p

I'm in UCD health sciences as well, I am away this week but if you want to mull over a few ideas next week, I can meet you in Insomnia Conway or O'Briens (or whatever it's called since they scratched all the signs out last year). PM me if your interested.

Hi Cram Cycle,

Thanks for the offer but im handing in my proposal on Wednesday so there probably isnt enough time. :)

However I was in the clinic yesterday and got my results, 8.9 :(:(:(

Not too happy I have had no improvement since starting the pump!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Well my son has had a rocky 6 weeks or so.

His HBA1c was 7.6% in November but it has gone up 1%, clinic on Tuesday last.

He is a relative new diagnosis (Aug) and was admited to hospital week before Xmas for 1 night as he got a bug and we were ill prepared with how to deal with sick days. He wasnt too bad but couldnt keep anything down so they put him on drip.

Hopefully the 1% rise is as a result of Xmas and lack of routine, but we are going to keep an eye on things in the meantime.

To top it all off he wa sick again yesterday. My nerves are shot!! haha

Its not easy this diabetes craic!

yungwan wrote: »
    He is a relative new diagnosis (Aug) and was admited to hospital week before Xmas for 1 night as he got a bug and we were ill prepared with how to deal with sick days. He wasnt too bad but couldnt keep anything down so they put him on drip.

Same with me after I was first diagnosed, don't worry, it doesn't get easier but you get more accustomed to it ;)

This time next year, you'll be plying him full of de-fizzed Lucozade and 7up, it will also possibly have the benefit of putting him off sugary fizzy drinks to an extent :( or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

8.6% is pretty decent IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I feel like banging my head against a brick wall.

AAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

My ladys bloods have gone mental once again, for the last few days (since Thursday) we have upped her lantus from 15 am 9 pm to 26 am and 20 pm (thats 46 lantus she is taking since yesterday) and her insulin carb ratio is 1:5, Her bloods are still not going below 14 during the day and at night they go rocket high and she comes in between 17 and 20 in the morning.... ketones are not too bad 0.5 being the highest so far.

she is on 6 injections 2 lantus am and pm and 4 novo rapid... Insulin demands have sky rocketed maybe its a growth spurt........ what a nightmare...

I feel like banging my head against a brick wall.

AAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

My ladys bloods have gone mental once again, for the last few days (since Thursday) we have upped her lantus from 15 am 9 pm to 26 am and 20 pm (thats 46 lantus she is taking since yesterday) and her insulin carb ratio is 1:5, Her bloods are still not going below 14 during the day and at night they go rocket high and she comes in between 17 and 20 in the morning.... ketones are not too bad 0.5 being the highest so far.
    Has she by chance got access to food else where? I know that when I was her age I found it very difficult that everything that I ate was being controlled by a parent and would rebel in some way when I got the chance - giving her more control over her life in the medium to long term would be the goal. I am only speaking from personal experience.

• Advertisement

It would explain it but no shes not eating all around her (she is gettign quite good and if she does eat she tells us). last night she was 14 before her evening tea she has 8 units which should have worked on an insulin carb ratio of 1:10 but 3 hours later they we HI (over 30) so gave her an extra 6 units of novo rapid and 20 lantus and no food, this morning they were 17 and she had nothing to eat all night.

Introduced a insulin carb ratio of 1:5 today.

The only thing i can think of that is making it go haywire is puberty & growth spurts, she is feeling a little sick she did have a tummy bug last week but that should have gone by now.

I found that when my monthly cycle started things did go very strange and it did take some time to notice the trends, if she is coming up to that then it could help explain some things. Are there any other external factors that could be influencing her - for me I find that stress has a huge effect on my blood sugars.

That is a huge jump in insulin (over I presume a short time frame), was this recommended by her clinic?

Also agreeing with Cathy, I was thought of as a good Diabetic by my parents and I admitted to the odd treat but that was more of a ploy, as I knew they would trust me if I admitted to a little deviousness but I was rarely telling them everything.
    It would explain it but no shes not eating all around her (she is gettign quite good and if she does eat she tells us). last night she was 14 before her evening tea she has 8 units which should have worked on an insulin carb ratio of 1:10 but 3 hours later they we HI (over 30) so gave her an extra 6 units of novo rapid and 20 lantus and no food, this morning they were 17 and she had nothing to eat all night.

Introduced a insulin carb ratio of 1:5 today.

The only thing i can think of that is making it go haywire is puberty & growth spurts, she is feeling a little sick she did have a tummy bug last week but that should have gone by now.

My only advice is don't jump to quickly in the insulin doses, as to much can lead to non sensical results. She might be rebounding during the night (ie going hypo in her sleep and bouncing back to being hyper) it is one thing that happened to me alot as a child when my control was out.

Other notes are that for alot of Diabetics you often find elevated sugars during and just after an illness, also as Cathy said stress can be a major factor, so try not to freak her out by panicking to much in front of her.

I just measured her and he has grown 1/2 an inch in less than a week, so looks like a growing spurt is on, during this time the body becomes resistant to insulin. Also because of her age I'm expecting her monthly cycles to start anytime and each time her blood sugars go haywire i think that it may be the cause (but it never is).

As for the lantus that increase has been over around 10 days, only went to 20 last night, with her insulin carb ratio of 1:5 im hoping to see some improvement by Wednesday if i dont i will contact the clinic. Im concerned about the night time insulin but see doesnt seem to drop at all i was all set for a low during the night but it didnt happen. If i can get her bloods good before she goes to bed i will have more of a chance to see what effect the pm lantus is having.

Im not panicking infront of her its just so frustrating.

As for treats extra food, i know what's in the house and nothing is disappearing.

She is in school during the day - children can and do have access to food without parents knowledge!

For me the issue is constant low blood sugars...

She has a special needs assistant at school so very very little chance of that happening. her bloods are generally ok during the day up until after her evening meal, only on sat and sun her bloods were spiking during the day, so that's why i decreased the insulin carb ratio today.

she only has had 1 hypo in the last 7 days (its normally 1 a day on average)

Oh they joys! fingers crossed once the growth spurt has stopped her bloods will return to normal. we had it before where he insulin doubled because she was growing.

She has a special needs assistant at school so very very little chance of that happening. her bloods are generally ok during the day up until after her evening meal, only on sat and sun her bloods were spiking during the day, so that's why i decreased the insulin carb ratio today.

she only has had 1 hypo in the last 7 days (its normally 1 a day on average)

Oh they joys! fingers crossed once the growth spurt has stopped her bloods will return to normal. we had it before where he insulin doubled because she was growing.
    Is she never allowed to play with her friends at all - is she ever on her own? She does need to learn how to deal with her illness herself in small steps. Yes, she may be getting contraband (sweets) somehow and she could be eating them at night but she needs to learn why she has to look after herself - my big motivation was that I wanted children in the future, while I appreciate that she is too young to be thinking about such things in another while she will see that learning how to look after herself has its benefits.

Sorry, I should state that there are multiple reasons for her sugars being strange - constant monitoring and adapting to the current situation while allowing wriggle room is what I do.

At school there is always soemone watching her, we have asked them to ease of a bit.

wriggle room is good,

i just got carbs and cals lite app of itunes its was free and looks very like the carbs and cals app that costs nearly €6.00.

Another possibility if you are seeing no major changes with increasing insulin doses is the lack of site rotation? I have heard many nurses say it is all to easy to get comfortable with a site and not rotate, leading to problems with insulin absorption and therefore activity. Most of us know it but forget for awhile, I have done it myself and have let it slip for a few months. Forst happened when I was newly diagnosed and they never told me to rotate untill 3 years later at which point I had two hollows on my inner thighs that did not fully disappear till I was 16 (almost 13 years later).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just out of curiosity- is there a particular reason that she needs a special needs assistant? If she is under constant supervision and not running around the place like the other kids- she certainly wouldn't be burning off energy as kids normally do- which might explain the highs, despite the massive jump in insulin intake......

Also- growing a half inch in a week is quite startling- even during a growth spurt this would be quite unusual. Are you sure you've got your measurements right? Maximum growth in a girl is between ages 8 and 13 years of age, and on an annual basis peaks in the springtime. Normally kids tend to keep to a particular percentile for their growth rates- so if your daughter has consistently been in or around the 50th percentile and has suddenly moved to a totally different part of the chart from her peers- you might need to see whether normal diet and exercise routines are being followed.

Advertisement